Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

'Thinspreading:' Do Thin People Take Up More Space Than Fat People?

'Thinspreading:' Do Thin People Take Up More Space Than Fat People?

http://www.ravishly.com/2017/03/09/t...ace-fat-people

I’d like to enter the term “thinspreading” into the running for 2017's new word of the year.

I was recently at a party in San Francisco. I invited one of my fav fat babes to come with me, and we got on the dance floor right as it started to get crowded. Standing next to me was a tall, thin dude who was treating the place like it was his personal catwalk.

While I was trying hard not to bump into others, he was pushing into me, almost elbowing me in the head half a dozen times before finally dancing away to another area. I mean, there was a part of me that loved the performance, and there was another part of me that was giving him an eye roll so deep that I could feel it in my medulla oblongata. I kept thinking: “He has probably never been made to feel like his body was an inconvenience to others – unlike me.”

I have noticed that confined spaces are filled with the paradox that is thinspreading.

I can't tell you how many flights I have been on where I have spent four hours with the elbow of a tiny passenger jammed into my side while I sat shoulders hunched, thighs pressed together, checking every few minutes to make sure I’m not crossing over the invisible barrier drawn by the arm rest — the very arm rest that I have surrendered to the thin person for the entirety of the flight in some ritualistic attempt at preempting a potential verbal attack. (Because when you’re fat, the threat of fat shaming is always looming.)

In order to understand this phenomenon, it's important to think of space in two different ways — literal and figurative.

Literal space references the objective dimensions of a thing. Like, from top to bottom I take up five feet and five inches of vertical space.

Figurative space is subjective — how much space you perceive you are taking up. This type of space is not easily measured. So a person can be 100 pounds which makes them physically small, but they may occupy a disproportionate amount of space because they lack self-awareness.

I have witnessed again and again that I and other fat people work very hard to make ourselves as small as possible: not speaking, wearing “slimming” colors or compression garments, at times altogether opting out of spaces in order to be unobtrusive. Whereas people who don’t experience fatphobia simply don’t have to do that work. This is true of many populations with more privilege — the privileged group has never been taught to be aware of themselves, and so they aren’t. The marginalized group is always already considered “too much,” our presence is already always positioned as unwelcome and unnatural. So if we show up at all, we enter a silent contract that we inconvenience the privileged majority as little as possible.

Last week I was on a flight sitting across the aisle from a big dude. I noticed that — like me — he was hyper aware of when others were walking past him, making sure to pull in his arm and shoulder so as not to inconvenience them. He also sat super upright and seemed to be holding his stomach in for pretty much the entire flight. I know all about these apologetic gestures. Plane travel can be so anxiety-inducing for fat people — you honestly never know if someone is going to utterly dehumanize you in front of a bunch of strangers in an enclosed space from which you cannot escape.

I want to compare his behavior with that of a young woman on another flight I was on in the fall. She was super petite, maybe 100 pounds. She moved around a lot, including putting her feet against other passengers and at one point lying on the ground on her back across the aisle lengthwise such that people would have to step over her to get to the back of the plane. Yes. Really. She is not a representative plane passenger, but I honestly had a very difficult time imagining a fat woman doing this.

The most classic example of thinspreading for me is a time that I walked onto the BART platform to wait for a train. I was super tired. I walked to the seating area and saw a thin woman lying down across three seats. So I asked the woman if I could sit down and she called me a “fat bitch.”

And I'm like... wait, isn't your problem with me that I am theoretically taking up more than my “allotted space,” which is actually what you are doing?

My point is that, as fat people, we are expected to take up as little space as possible to make up for the additional physical room we require (as if anyone should have to do that), and the simple truth is that thin people have not been sensitized to this same sense of encroachment. Due to acute stigmatization, fat people are often doing quite a lot of unseen emotional labor — including going above and beyond to take up as little space as we physically are able. Because we are considered second-class citizens, this labor is always already expected.

I know there are probably people reading this article with beads of rage-sweat building on their upper lip. Their response to this article is the bigoted recommendation to “Just lose weight!” To which I would reply: “No, let’s build a world where no one has to fundamentally change their body in order to experience comfort!”

In the meantime, check your privilege and your elbows.

Ahahahaha ah I have missed these threads.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

15+ Year Old Account
    Personal anecdote as evidence is poor proof. How is not being overweight privileged? Gaining or losing weight is often (not always) due to life choices. If she doesn't like being fat, maybe the author could do something about that, but that's none of my business.

The thought that the world should be adapted to accommodate overweight body types is unhealthy, the human body is not built to weigh 150/200+kg. It shortens life expectancy, has many health risks and burdens society with their care at the cost of others whom actually need healthcare.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

The human body isn't built to be skinny, either. Everybody breaks down with age. Being healthy is a blessing, but the stigma attached to it is anything but healthy.

Spread your wings, chubby chicken. Stop working so hard for all these entitled pieces of garbage. Ironically, you working so hard to make yourself invisible is allowing them to spread out like they are.

Also, there are lots of fat people that give zero fucks and will smoosh your ass in the airplane seat the whole damn ride. I think this post has merit, though. I've never understood why people have such a hateful, hostile attitude towards fat people, but it's real.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    Personal anecdote as evidence is poor proof. How is not being overweight privileged? Gaining or losing weight is often (not always) due to life choices. If she doesn't like being fat, maybe the author could do something about that, but that's none of my business.

The thought that the world should be adapted to accommodate overweight body types is unhealthy, the human body is not built to weigh 150/200+kg. It shortens life expectancy, has many health risks and burdens society with their care at the cost of others whom actually need healthcare.
    You mean according to their height right? I mean people like shaquille(?) O'Neil won't have much of a choice but being heavy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    I have witnessed again and again that I and other fat people work very hard to make ourselves as small as possible: not speaking, wearing “slimming” colors or compression garments, at times altogether opting out of spaces in order to be unobtrusive.
    Don't see "eating less" and "excercising" on her list of "working very hard to make ourselves as small as possible"
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    You Americans have too much damn time on your hands. I never see these types of topics popping up in other countries, it's only the US that is pathologically preoccupied with being as politically correct as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Can someone point me towards chrome plugin that enables word filters on MMOC please.
    "Willpower"; One's inner strength to not click threads they do not really want to read \ take part of.

Deleted
    I call these movements and the majority of the SJW culture the "bored cunts have nothing better to do" syndrome. Seriously, any sane person with a hobby or friends wont sit at home and think up new ways to get offended or new micro minorities to fight for... or against

What about thinspreading people who also manspread as well?
    Mainspreading is against everything our societies stand for! Lock them UP!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronald Dump View Post
    You mean according to their height right? I mean people like shaquille(?) O'Neil won't have much of a choice but being heavy.
    Taking body build and height into account ofcourse. I don't hate/dislike overweight people themselfs, but I dislike their decisions. They are free to make them but I'm not obliged to agree.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What about Dumbspreading?

All these Dumb people taking up too much room.

THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    You Americans have too much damn time on your hands. I never see these types of topics popping up in other countries, it's only the US that is pathologically preoccupied with being as politically correct as possible.
    You should read about the country called "Sweden" - it's a country where we debated if band-aids were too racist bcause they were too white and wouldn't fit with the darker skinned people!

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/s...-0000735-v22n9

...Help me. ;_:

On topic: I'm just gonna say that everyone should have the 'same amount of space', and like it or not, oversized people goes above that amount of space. If they want to take less space, they need to show respect for themselves and understand it's unhealthy and should go down in weight. If some thinner person decides to take up more space, then that person is just a jerk.

This is the dumbest thing I have read here ever. And that says a lot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    This is the dumbest thing I have read here ever. And that says a lot.
    That's a bold statement, friend. You willing to back it up?
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    I have witnessed again and again that I and other fat people work very hard to make ourselves as small as possible:
    I question "hard work" if they're still fat.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    That's a bold statement, friend. You willing to back it up?
    Well i don't really need to as I only said what I have actually read here. This op is literally full of stupid statements. Find me an op that is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronald Dump View Post
    It's mostly body fat %. If you're 6'1 and 150kg, and half of that is muscle and half is fat, you are in for a BAD time health wise. But if you're 5'8, 100kg, and 90% muscle and 10% body fat, you're pretty damn healthy.

There are a lot of things to take into consideration, but on AVERAGE, even if you are taller than average (above 6 foot), 150 kilograms is an extremely unhealthy weight.

Deleted
    Goddamnit, I hate it when people spread their peanut butter really thinly on toast. What's even the point? You need a decent layer to... Wait, what? That's not what we're talking about...?

Oh. Never mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I gotta say Xarim, you went for digging up some random blog for this shite?