Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some idiots find it hard to make a distinction between these two:

A: Blaming the actual victim
    B: Warning potential victims (and yes the actual victim is still a potential victim - if it's not murder that is)
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Looking out for yourself is now victim blaming? I guess I shouldn't feel worried when I get drunk and pass out in an ally in a bad neighbourhood. Nobody better tell me it's a bad idea.

when you're so drunk your can't speak or see straight, you do make yourself a target for opportunistic predators.

either rape or robbery or any other assault. a group of teens might see a guy stumbling down the sidewalk and decide to beat him up and take his money because they know he's too drunk to do anything about it. an opportunistic piece of shit might see a woman in such a malleable state and decide to take advantage of it. these are facts of life.

if you make yourself vulnerable, there are people that will take advantage of your vulnerabilities. personal responsibility is a fucking fact, and no amount of holding your ears and screaming is going to make that go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    You would never hear a judge, or probably much of anyone else, say something to the effect of 'well it's too bad you got beaten up, but maybe if you weren't so drunk you could've gotten away from a mugger.' It seems quite obvious in that situation that it's the assault-er who is completely at fault, not the person who had a few beers on their night out or whatever.

But for some *totally unknown* reason, in the case of sexual assault against women people feel compelled to point out all the things they could have done that might have reduced their odds of being victimized. Guess what, people shouldn't be asked to live their lives according to what is least likely to make them a victim of a terrible crime

Sorry if this post was meant to be sarcastic and I didn't realise - A judge will DEFINITELY scorn you for having been drunk, especially if it contributed to you being put in that situation.

If you go to the police because you've been mugged they'll tell you off if you were wearing a flash suit and talking on your phone in dodgy areas. They even used to run a whole advertising campaign of "Don't leave your phone out on the table as or talk on it in public as it could cause you to be a target."

My house was burgled a while a go and the police effectively told us off for not having had our second lock on and for leaving our front hedge to grow so high. They weren't "blaming" us for the burglary, nor were they implying that the burglar was any less guilty - just pointing out that there are assholes out there that DO burgle, and there are clear common sense things to do to help minimise your chances of getting robbed.

This is all the judge was pointing out too.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Rapists everywhere agree with the outrage. They can only dream of a wonderful world where there are no such things as offensive warnings or precautions against their methods of luring their prey in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    It's not victum blaming, it's stating the obvious. You probably will argue that being drunk alone at night with giant gold keychain on your neck doesn't make you a target for robbery?.
    yes stating the obvious, just like how people who owns a gun is more likely to kill someone with said gun.
    the question here is how to make people not rape in the first place, just like how to stop people from making shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    She didnt say anything wrong. just pointed the fact which was true.
    Yup, because some people could not give any fucks about right and wrong.

Thus protect yo self, or wreck yo self.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    she is not victim blaming though. you have a right to get drunk, but it also makes you a good target. you're not able to defend yourself, your memory might be a little hazy, you may not be able to identify the attacker, etc etc.

Nobody should blame rape victims, period. that being said, always take precautionary measures as unfortunately the law enforcement agency has many open rape cases because there are simply not enough evidence to get those cases anywhere. just because you report a rape, it doesn't guarantee that the law finds and charges the perpetrator.
    What you just described is literally victim blaming.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrizzlingRose View Post
    yes stating the obvious, just like how people who owns a gun is more likely to kill someone with said gun.
    the question here is how to make people not rape in the first place, just like how to stop people from making shootings.
    That is your question, and it legitimate, but doesn't make the words of the judge less valid.

You're not wrong, that judge isn't either, and the word were spoken with good faith.

I don't see any reason to be outraged.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can walk through Highway traffic, Teach cars not to Hit people! Else you are a VictimBlamer!

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Some idiots find it hard to make a distinction between these two:

A: Blaming the actual victim
    B: Warning potential victims (and yes the actual victim is still a potential victim - if it's not murder that is)
    There is lots of idiots in this thread that have no idea what victim blaming is and like the other rape thread today probably think it is perfectly acceptable to rape drunk women.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-03-14 at 01:53 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    There is lots of idiots in this thread that have no idea what victim blaming is and like the other rape thread today probably think it is perfectly acceptable to rape drunk women.
    Nice Hyperbole there kiddo.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    A retiring judge
    As far as I am concerned this judge is stupid and should be sacked immediately.
    Good to see you responding to the title and not the article nor the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    Good to see you responding to the title and not the article nor the OP.
    Retiring has nothing to do with it. You still sack her to make an example of it.

Deleted
    What you just described is literally victim blaming.
    Pointing to fact when someone show weakness another one can take advantage of it isnt victim blaming. Thats how life goes. Even in animal world. Its natural.
    Ofc now we have morals and laws which say what is right and wrong and there are people who ignore this.

Still doesnt change a fact you should not make yourself an easy target to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Nice Hyperbole there kiddo.
    You should go check it out. Really is disturbing stuff. Before I came back to this site late last year I thought rape culture wasn't a thing and genrally didn't think much of it.

After spending time looking through some of the threads here it is really quote shocking what some people believe and can see why it is brought up as such an issue.

i just wonder if these people get outraged over signs warning you not to go into the carnivore exhibits at zoos.

is it just as triggering to point out the fact that if you ignore warnings and put yourself in a dangerous area, you will get mauled to death?

Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    Pointing to fact when someone show weakness another one can take advantage of it isnt victim blaming. Thats how life goes. Even in animal world. Its natural.
    Ofc now we have morals and laws which say what is right and wrong and there are people who ignore that.

Still doesnt change a fact you should not make yourself an easy target to anyone.
    Sure. But you are still blaming the victim with this statement. Are taking precautions necessary. Yes because there are a lot of scum out there.

Everyone knows this and what the judge did makes it harder for other victims to come forward and makes it harder for this victim to move on.

Deleted
    Rape is illegal for a good reason. There is zero excuses to rape anyone ever.
    Clearly but there are two parties in any rape (by definition that's the minimum).
    Making rape illegal only touches one of those parties.
    As far as I am concerned this judge is stupid and should be sacked immediately.
    For pointing out that one of the most victimized groups of people out there are drunk?
    This is like saying you shouldn't buy windows for your house because it will give robbers a veiw inside and it's far easier to break a window than a wall. You deserve to have your stuff stolen.
    No but you shouldn't leave your door unlocked.
    Also what does feminism have to do with this,
    Because feminist idiots spew this nonsense.
    it's not some boogeyman out to get you, here they have a very sensible point.
    No, No its not.
    Either women have agency, or not.
    If they don't have agency, then the correct way to treat them is like children, I find that barbarous, you might disagree.

As far as I am concerned this judge is stupid and should be sacked immediately. This is like saying you shouldn't buy windows for your house because it will give robbers a veiw inside and it's far easier to break a window than a wall. You deserve to have your stuff stolen.
    Uh what. They didn't say it was deserved at all. The correct analogy would be, if you leave your window open at night, and someone prone to stealing sees that, you are putting yourself at a higher risk of being robbed.