Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    I agree with the ruling. In Western society this kind of symbol of oppression should not be tolerated.
    Pretty sure you completely missed the point of the ruling...
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

"headwear"

This means they can also ban the tiny jew hat.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    "headwear"

yes, as well as a cross or a turban.

Not as if there had not been dress codes before.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Oh so you saying they are false muslims?
    Saying it stems from a cultural tradition that was incorporated into the religion. Its why only a small minority of Islamic countries require/prefer the burqa (SA, Afghanistan, parts of Pakistan, a few Muslim populations in some regions of India) but the vast majority don't. The largest population Islamic country doesn't even require head covering of any kind.

Its a cultural tradition appropriated by religion to become a symbol of said religion. How many Biblical verses discuss the Easter Bunny?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    There is no verse in islam asking women to hide their faces.
    incorrect..
    there is..
    Though, there's room for interpretation, it's still there.

Deleted
    Now just ban those ghettos where even Police is afraid to enter and problem solved.

The issue with minorities and Muslims as an extreme example is that they don't want to socialize with other people in new environment. As closed communities, they create various threats and this should be countered by law. Banning religious clothes like burkas is a great start. You can wear anything you'd like at home, but when you come to a country that has some rules and laws, you follow them, and not enforce your laws based on religion or cultural background. Just imagine yourself running around with close over your head in Muslim countries - in some you will be dead in a matter of minutes. I'm not telling we should respond with the same of course, but we need to have tools for people that interfere with laws and our environment and I think we can do a bit better in this regard.

As a Christian, I have nothing against banning crosses hanging all over the place. It does not matter in what do I believe to my customers or people I work with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    incorrect..
    there is..
    Though, there's room for interpretation, it's still there.
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    If its not religious why do these people claim their religious freedom is oppressed when they cant wear it. Maybe someone should tell them its a cultural thing.
    The Koran states that a woman must not make more of her beauty 'than that which is apparent'. Or something similar. This has been interpreted by different cultures to mean different things. They probably claim the right to interpret the words their way so you end up seeing some people dressed in a sack and some people with a headscarf, high heels, skinny jeans and face covered in makeup.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    "headwear"

And the pasta strainer of the pastafaris.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2017-03-14 at 11:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No shit, just like you can ban tattoos and other bullshit that doesn't hold up your dress standards.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    employers should have all the rights to make their own decisions about who they employ.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I have to agree here. Burquas are a symbol of oppression, among other things, and should not be tolerated just because people claim 'religion' behind it. Practically any other argument for them.
    Have you seen at least 10 women in you're lifetime wearing a burka? Chances are you haven't unless you went to SA.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-13038095

Only an estimated 150 women wear the full niqab in Austria
    France has about five million Muslims - the largest Muslim minority in Western Europe - but it is thought only about 2,000 women wear full veils.
    Around 5% of the Netherlands' 16 million residents are Muslims, but only around 300 are thought to wear the niqab or the burka. The wearing of headscarves is far more common, however.
    I can't imagine that to be so much different across other countries.....the only thing that is a symbol of oppression is people trying to oppressing women from wearing the things they like. You don't like the headscarf? That's bad for you but that isn't a symbol of oppression but you using the burka as a justification to ban other pieces of cloths is a sign of oppression.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I have to agree here. Burquas are a symbol of oppression, among other things, and should not be tolerated just because people claim 'religion' behind it. Practically any other argument for them.
    Have you seen at least 10 women in you're lifetime wearing a burka? Chances are you haven't unless you went to SA.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-13038095

Only an estimated 150 women wear the full niqab in Austria
    France has about five million Muslims - the largest Muslim minority in Western Europe - but it is thought only about 2,000 women wear full veils.
    Around 5% of the Netherlands' 16 million residents are Muslims, but only around 300 are thought to wear the niqab or the burka. The wearing of headscarves is far more common, however.
    I can't imagine that to be so much different across other countries.....the only thing that is a symbol of oppression is people trying to oppressing women from wearing the things they like. You don't like the headscarf? That's bad for you but that isn't a symbol of oppression but you using the burka as a justification to ban other pieces of cloths is a sign of oppression.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Do the jews wear the kippah everywhere though?
    They still practice genital mutilation and brutally slaughter animals in the most painful way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    And to be fair, it's not like people of other religions have not gone to court because of those codes as well.
    Good for those who can. I had no recourse against the "long pants and closed shoes all summer even though you work in back office" rule.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    The Koran states that a woman must not make more of her beauty 'than that which is apparent'. Or something similar. This has been interpreted by different cultures to mean different things. They probably claim the right to interpret the words their way so you end up seeing some people dressed in a sack and some people with a headscarf, high heels, skinny jeans and face covered in makeup.
    yeah, that's one way to express it.

Decent starting point:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burqa#In_Islamic_texts

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    employers should have all the rights to make their own decisions about who they employ.
    Well it would still be discrimination if they refused to hire people based on their religion, just now it will be legal for them to say "we will hire you if you dont wear any religious symbols or clothing while at the work place"

Quote Originally Posted by Blastfizzle View Post
    Employers can bar staff from wearing the headscarf and other religious symbols in the workplace, Europe's top court has ruled.
    I can agree with this if only they did this in the US, I get sick of people bringing crosses to work worship your magic man in your free time.

I look forward to all the right wingers coming in here and telling us how this is a travesty of justice, and how Europe needs something like the First Amendment to protect them from such abuses.

*Snigger*
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I look forward to all the right wingers coming in here and telling us how this is a travesty of justice, and how Europe needs something like the First Amendment to protect them from such abuses.

*Snigger*
    Pretty sure you got that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    The Bible has many similar passages, we just tend to ignore them.

Hair coverings, shawls and the like were very common in the West until pretty recently. The irony is that the hatred of the burqua et al is a culture shock from a society that's gotten so used to liberalism in the last few centuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.