Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account

Has MM gotten worse for clickers?

I run a somewhat casual guild that still does some Normal and HC raid progression and we have a wide variety of players at different skill levels. Several people are and have always been clickers but that has not really been a huge problem for us in the past. It seems now however that a couple of MM hunters that are clickers are falling behind eventhough MM is supposedly pretty good right now? As late as back in WOD these hunters were doing competitive DPS to the others in the guild but it seems the gap has widened since then. So I was thinking that maybe the rotations for MM has changed a lot in Legion so that it's harder for clickers to compete? Does anyone have any experience with this? Or should I be looking at other factors?

Assuming this isn't bait...

Nothing has changed that makes anything more difficult, that doesn't mean you should continue hurting your performance by clicking, though. So, you know.. if people weren't clicking you wouldn't even be making this thread. Go figure what the only answer is going to be.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Assuming this isn't bait...

Just... you know.. stop clicking?
    No, it's not bait. And believe me I have tried getting people to stop clicking. People are set in their ways. And like I said in the past it wasn't really a problem.

Nothing noteworthy has changed, no.. The only thing I can think of is that there is a lot of extra movement during boss fights in Legion. Clicking and moving is hard.
    You were good, kid, real good. But as long as I'm around, you'll always be second best, see?
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Oh, and no comment from Xe'ra about how the assault on the black temple was being led in part by the naaru. So was hatred corrupting A'dal's mind too, you pretentious windchime?
    - Volpethrope

Quote Originally Posted by healyoutoo View Post
    No, it's not bait. And believe me I have tried getting people to stop clicking. People are set in their ways. And like I said in the past it wasn't really a problem.
    There's nothing that makes the spec any more or less difficult for clickers other than the usual reasons not to click - i.e. slow reaction times, having to move your mouse away from your buttons to target something (especially with the likes of Piercing Shot build, to make sure you hit everything), and of course movement during things like Hero/Trueshot where the GCD is extremely low. Nothing new.

If your raiders cannot achieve what you expect of them then replace/drop them until they sort it out. If clicking is that reason, help them figure it out, and if not... There's not much else to say.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2017-03-10 at 11:06 AM.

I disagree about this expansion not being harder for clickers. Due to the way the vulnerable debuff, its more important now more then ever to be precise in when you activate aimed shot. I would assume that if you are a clicker this would be really tough especially on heavy movement which are already tough on this spec.

Deleted
    There are quite a few things that make it more difficult for clickers. Explosive Shot, Vulnerable, proc based etc.

Compared to WoD MM current MM is definitely harder for clickers. In WoD the "Core" was 3 abilities, Chimaera, Aimed and Steady, you could perform reasonably by only using 1-5 really. Now I'd say you need at least 10 keybinds, outside of movement abilities like Disengage or Aspect, to perform your rotation.

Anyway, there's no way around it, never was other than telling people to set some basic binds. At this point saying "I will keep on clicking my Windburst" is like saying "I really dislike playing with any armor outside of my helmet".

make them go bm

Clicking should be considered as invalid for controlling WoW as using a Guitar Hero controller. The game just wasn't meant to be played that way. Especially Hunters; the class is built around ranged mobility (or at least it SHOULD be). Clickers simply cannot handle mechanics while doing optimal DPS. It's no surprise that the game doesn't welcome that playstyle.

Unless some of your guildies have a literal disability that prevents them from moving with a mouse (and before you say this is cruel; I DO raid with someone with a disability that affects hand movement), there is no excuse. I hate to use the word "adapt" in arguments on account of all the people that use it to defend terrible design decisions, but this is one of those situations where adapting really is the solution.

It is actualy harder to click then use number keys. Why the hell do people still do it ?

Smaller vunerable window since last changes maybe? I dunno...getting your aimed shots into a smaller timeframe would maybe hurt clickers. I started years ago as a clicker (purely because the mate of mine that introduced me to WoW showed me that way, and I was a console gamer up until then). I made the change in WotLK and have never looked back, so I would recommend any clickers to just go with button pressing and just get used to it...you will thank me later.

MM is actually in a pretty good place atm imo

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    It is actualy harder to click then use number keys. Why the hell do people still do it ?
    It requires time, effort and thought.

Plus, it isn't something that is intrinsically obvious to do.

Keybinding is a menu item and it's non-trivial figuring out what keybind maps to which tool bar item. Then you need to work out what you want bound where, everyone finds different keys easier or more difficult to hit/use and that's without even getting into using modifier keys, which can add another layer of complication.

Not to mention having to remember what everything is mapped to, which can be a major issue in and of it's self.

Where as an Icon on your toolbar that is flashing, is pretty obvious to click on.

Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    It requires time, effort and thought.

Plus, it isn't something that is intrinsically obvious to do.

Keybinding is a menu item and it's non-trivial figuring out what keybind maps to which tool bar item. Then you need to work out what you want bound where, everyone finds different keys easier or more difficult to hit/use and that's without even getting into using modifier keys, which can add another layer of complication.

Not to mention having to remember what everything is mapped to, which can be a major issue in and of it's self.

Where as an Icon on your toolbar that is flashing, is pretty obvious to click on.
    If you start binding skills to Q,E, F and the likes yeah. But you can come a long way with most classes using 1-5 and shift+1-5 you can even set up your bars so you basically can see which button does what.

Hard to believe this isn't bait...

But if it isn't, you shouldn't let anyone on your team click no matter how casual you are. I can't comment on MM specifically, but EVERYTHING in WoW is and has always been too complicated to click. You should have to prove you aren't clicking to buy your second month subscription. End of story.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently Method's forum has caught AIDS since I last had to link this article, but it's worth registering to read about keybinds and be not terrible at the game anymore...

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...your_keybinds/

Quote Originally Posted by healyoutoo View Post
    I run a somewhat casual guild that still does some Normal and HC raid progression and we have a wide variety of players at different skill levels. Several people are and have always been clickers but that has not really been a huge problem for us in the past. It seems now however that a couple of MM hunters that are clickers are falling behind eventhough MM is supposedly pretty good right now? As late as back in WOD these hunters were doing competitive DPS to the others in the guild but it seems the gap has widened since then. So I was thinking that maybe the rotations for MM has changed a lot in Legion so that it's harder for clickers to compete? Does anyone have any experience with this? Or should I be looking at other factors?
    Nice joke mate. MM is middle of the pack at best but usually at the bottom.

I can't be bothered to level my MM, my SVs are nice though. And clicking or hotkey doesn't really matter too much for your guilds skill level.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Habit, mostly. WoW attracts a lot of non-gamers and the first time they play the game they mostly click. It takes a conscious effort to retrain yourself to keybindings after you've been playing as a clicker for even a couple of weeks.

I don't get clickers. When I first came to WoW from runescape (a click only game) 10 years ago, within the first 10 minutes I was like "hey, I can put this serpent sting ability on 3 and I can hit the 3 button instead of clicking it" or, a bit later, "oh hey, I can hit ctrl + shift + 1 and my pet will attack while I'm waiting on the short cooldown from putting up hunter's mark and I can quest a bit quicker"