Poll: Do you think subs in Legion are going up or down?

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    My purely uneducated prediction is that numbers will continue to go down and the game will stabilize between 500k or 1+ million. It might even go lower. Doesn't mean the game is going to die but it does mean they need to merge more dead servers. If they ever made the game f2p the numbers would sky rocket again but you probably don't want that since more bots would fill the game.

Wowcensus has been a relatively decent way to check the amount of people playing at any given time if your wondering. The numbers aren't spot on, but it gives you an idea about the current number of people playing the game, for EU and US at least. Right now, according to wowcensus, we're just over 2 million active characters. This is just characters, not individual accounts so the actual amount of subs is most likely lower.

It's pretty clear legion has seen a pretty dramatic drop in the amount of players since launch, and since it looks like there won't be any new content outside of of a raid for months, it's probably going to get a lot lower. Anecdotally, I dont know a single person IRL that still has a sub or even seems to have any interest in the game at all.

Heres a link to the info if your interested, it also shows class and race distribuition as well. Remember, these numbers are not absolute, but its the only somewhay reliable way you can track player count now.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census...ervertypeid=-1

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    I'm hoping down. I don't want this expansion to be seen as a success otherwise blizzard won't change their formula.
    Funny that Vanilla, TBC, and WotLK are all considered successes, yet each one changed the formula up.

Deleted
    I have just let the last 2 months of a 6 month sub run out. Really bored with the game. Had much higher hopes. I would like to get into it but the community isnt what it used to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Funny that Vanilla, TBC, and WotLK are all considered successes, yet each one changed the formula up.
    Yeah well blizzard haven't been able to maintain subs since then so...

I will sub again in patch 7.3
    because for once I wanted to see argus
    I dont care for brokenshore patch 7.2 because I hate when they mix legion with elves legion with orc
    I want full legion not mixes
    I want to see the full might of the legion what is they build
    I WANT TO SEE THE HELL ON ARGUS !!
    and the nation of the eredar
    but I will not give hate to people who like the broken isle and suramar
    everybody have different taste for me I want to see hell and demons and the full power of the legion
    its my wish since Warcraft 3

- - - Updated - - -

so I will vote up only in patch 7.3

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    This combined with the inability to actively maintain multiple specs, due to the artifact weapon, are the biggest "real" issues that I've observed.
    Agree I play a hunter while I want to try a different class I really can't. The shitty part is I got other class to 110 before the whole catch up mechanics went live. So this so call catch mechanics doesn't apply to me (some of my alts are like Into artifiact research 11 to 19 lish). So really they are still stuck the way they are. I can't bring myself to play my alt since they are not as gear and the grind for AP sucks. Not to mention doing WQ isn't exactly easy since for some reason other thank tanks you get hit really really hard even as a mail wearer.

Then there is the issue of doing mythic +. Getting a key requires a group and most of the time unless you have a guild that can carry you, it will be hard to get itno one in group finder. A lot of people in group finder is just looking for some higher gear players to carry them so if you just got to ilvl 840lish you won't get accepted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sponge5307 View Post
    Then there is the issue of doing mythic +. Getting a key requires a group and most of the time unless you have a guild that can carry you, it will be hard to get itno one in group finder. A lot of people in group finder is just looking for some higher gear players to carry them so if you just got to ilvl 840lish you won't get accepted.
    Not sure if i agree with that. Leveled dh last week, decided to take iniciative and start organising my own groups via lfg and its not bad, although even as i want to play as dps, i respec tank becuase its easier to get ppl, and tbh even with my 840 (well now im 850 something) i dare say im much better tank than usual lfg one because i know things or two about positioning (playing as melle dps main since forever, guess that's why ), got knowledge which trahs pack can melt me, which one to interrupt etc... Hell this week i put kara grp and even healer says im taking really little dmg for such low ilel, guess im doing my job fine

Also really funny thing i noticed while starting assembling grp on my own, most ppl don't even whisper you back if you ask them something before adding them.

Before I unsubbed, activity on my server - one the most populated PvE servers - seemed back down close to WoD numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Thank you for telling me why I got very bored, very quickly, with Legion. I wasn't aware these were my reasons. Thanks!
    What the fuck is going on with your signature pic? You anime kids love to subtlety show the world that you're truly a bunch of creepy pedophiles...

Fuck

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Historically WoW subs always spiked up when new expansion was released, to slowly go down (TBC/WotLK might be exceptions as WoW was still young back then).
    Incorrect. When World of Warcraft has STRONG social tools, forced people to talk and make friends to even form 5 mans, and had a vibrant in-game community, the subs simply kept climbing. Had they never destroyed that, who knows how high subs might have climbed. I feel perfectly fine saying they would have crossed 30 million subs had they never killed the LFG channel, added LFR and AMM among other things.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Incorrect. When World of Warcraft has STRONG social tools, forced people to talk and make friends to even form 5 mans, and had a vibrant in-game community, the subs simply kept climbing. Had they never destroyed that, who knows how high subs might have climbed. I feel perfectly fine saying they would have crossed 30 million subs had they never killed the LFG channel, added LFR and AMM among other things.
    Subs were climbing when the game was young. They climbed because there were new players to bring in. That resource was exhausted.

Your memory of a "vibrant community" is selective, since you don't remember the players you didn't interact with.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Down of course. Once the overall long term WoW usage pattern is taken into account, each expansion (and each major patch to a lesser extent) consisted of a huge spike in numbers, a not so huge immediate decline a month later, then a slow decline into the next one.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    They are definitely going down, you can clearly see so during prime time on each server list. Anyone who thinks they're going up is ignorant. But it seems the mmo scene has changed quite a bit, people now sub for a month, do the new content and then stop until the next major patch (not 7.1.5). In the past they'd stay subbed through most of the expansion except for during the content drought times.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    Historically WoW subs always spiked up when new expansion was released, to slowly go down (TBC/WotLK might be exceptions as WoW was still young back then).
    What I think is keeping WoW still alive are the new kids. Older WoW players like myself usually outgrow spending a lot of time in a MMORPG. Responsibilities catch up to us...
    I think a lot of people are kinda scared of giving up on WoW as well because for a lot of people, this has been the one game they've kept playing throughout the years. And if they give up on it, suddenly they have nothing left.

I can definitely understand that point of view too, I used to be like that before I became a variety gamer. But there's tons of other good mmos out there now, FFXIV, GW2 (although it really needs to be reworked), ESO, BDO.

These are four big and solid mmos that you'll have a lot of fun in.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    You got that I'm an "anime kid" and that I'm somehow a "creepy pedophile" just from that signature pic? I think those assumptions say way more about you than they do about me, fella

Educate yourself on something before you try talk about it. Or did you just want to somehow "attack" me for my hobby? 'Cos good luck with that one.
    i for one embrace our new weeb overlords

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably down as it has been since Wrath. Players play cyclically now. They get their fill of LFR, unsub until new content, repeat. With every cycle they lose a little more and more, then new expansion and they get a huge spike and then cycles start again. Not the end of the world. WoW would still be worth playing with <million subs

I think it's going the same as almost every expansion.

Deleted
    LFR is really hurting in this department. Back in vanilla-wotlk, players kept playing motivated by the goal of experincing the content of raids eventually, even if they were 1-2 tiers behind. It was still a goal and an achievement to reach - no matter how much you were behind. In return, the game was very immersive, and you knew the content was hard to beat when you were in a raid. That immersive feeling is lost. Now the new content is free to experience in 1 week, so you can try it and leave. It's a problem that is nothing new, so I would assume nothing much changed with subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermelloth View Post
    Well, it was the same in WoD after the first patch
    nope, WoD zones didn't get CRZ until legion launched

Quote Originally Posted by Snackpack View Post
    I think it's going the same as almost every expansion.
    by almost every expansion, you mean WoD and no others? hardly "almost every" lol
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2017-03-14 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    nope, WoD zones didn't get CRZ until legion launched

by almost every expansion, you mean WoD and no others? hardly "almost every" lol
    You must be assuming a lot that isn't there from that sentence... The last three expansions, not including Legion, have started strong on release and then dropped over time, as to be expected.

Not to mention regional releases changing things (Wrath releasing in China in 2010 and boosting numbers).
    Last edited by Snackpack; 2017-03-14 at 03:05 PM.