Thread: I miss cata...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I liked the beginning of Cata, but they spent too much of the development time on the old zones and then kind of phoned in the last two raid tiers. WoD was worse in terms of content pacing, but Cata is probably in second place for least popular expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffter View Post
    I liked the beginning of Cats, but they spent too much of the development time on the old zones and then kind of phoned in the last two raid tiers. WoD was worse in terms of content pacing, but Cats is probably in second place for least popular expansions.
    WoD had 1 fucking major content patch. Nothing will be as bad as that.

15+ Year Old Account
    I miss the Shadow Priest from then... Ah good times. But that's the only thing I miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziska View Post

How do you feel about cataclysm?
    It was a waste of time and effort that I should have skipped entirely. Firelands was the only entertaining part of that entire expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Wasn't the first tier a broken mess, including Atramedes who was virtually unkillable without an exploit, one used so widely that Blizzard just said "fair enough" and banned nobody?
    Yes, at the beginning. All of the problems with the first tier were fixed before Firelands was released and, to be frank, there weren't all that many problems in the first place. Atramedes was "broken" in that he had too much health (and, even then, I believe there was at least one guild that killed him the proper way). Maloriak was broken in that his 10-man adds had 25-man levels of health, but was also broken in that the 10-man version didn't have an enrage timer, which meant that you could strategize around this problem. 10-man Twilight Dragons was broken in that the twilight-realm adds did 25-man levels of damage. 10-man Magmaw had too much health and damage on boss and adds.

Yeah, I was a 10-man raider at that time. I felt the pain :P

Basically, the majority of the problems were with the 10-man versions of the fights. This was because it was Blizzard's first time trying to make 10-man the same difficulty as 25-man and they didn't get the numbers/mechanics right. These problems were fixed before Firelands and haven't really been an issue since. These things weren't a huge deal for most raids because, with BWD, you could just choose to work on another fight and, if you hit a snag in BoT, you could just choose to work on one of the other raids. Remember, this tier wasn't cleared in the first week or two like many raids are, these days.

Either way, I absolutely loved almost all of the first tier of raiding. The only fights I really disliked were the Twilight Ascendants (that fight suuuuuuuuuucked balls on 10-man heroic) and Al'akir (same deal).
    Last edited by Belloc; 2017-03-14 at 06:23 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Cata was great until Dragon Soul. HC Rags was the real final boss of the expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Deleted
    I loved it. Raids were great, revamp was great, DS was terrible. Definitely at least better than WoD, and even TBC, the expansion where I started.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    Cata was great until Dragon Soul. HC Rags was the real final boss of the expansion.
    One of the best fights in the history of the game.

Cata was litterally the first step towards a worser WoW. 4.1 was the first big hit to WoW...If you dont renember why...4.1 should have had Firelands. Instead we got to crappy versions of Zul'aman and Zulgurub raids as 5 mans instead...Reasons? Blizzard didnt feel like ppl we're ready for new raid tier...LOL

PS, I like Legion, also liked WOD, MOP etc...Just saying, Cata was first step in a new direction of WoW towards worser content.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    I agree, Cataclysm was an awesome expansion. I really remember enjoying it a lot, both the first compound tier and Firelands, just Dragon Soul was a bit of a let down. That said, the Deathwing fights are both more spectacular and have a greater sense of scale than anything in this expansion.

Personally Cata is my least favorite expansion; the best part of it was the old world revamp and that was free. I didn't like the 80-85 zones (Uldum remains the game's biggest disappointment so far IMO), didn't care for the raids and the dungeons.....I never understood the community's hard-on for making this difficult. Sure, I liked the challenge the first few times I ran them but after awhile....I just wanted to get my stuff done and leave.

I never thought they could top off Cataclysm as the worst expansion, but somehow they did it with WoD. Though in WoD's defense, they didn't irrevocably destroy the old zones, questing and aesthetics. Still, Cataclysm did do something good (even if just one thing), and that was the five man dungeons. Music, atmosphere, fights, everything was top notch.

Cata ruined the whole dogshit.

I also quite enjoyed Vashj'ir. I am sad it got such negative reviews mainly due to some complications related to the Z axis (which are not absolute mind you, just means underwater questing/combat needs to be further refined). I am sad at the prospect of blizzard not daring make any more underwater zones because coming up with a 3D map and some tools to simplify it for melee is too inconvenient, underwater civilizations have always been a fascination of mine.

Deleted
    Bring back Burning Crusade and Karazhan (The piece of **** mythic they mutilated doesn't count)

MMO-Champ forums should have an automated filter that can ban topics like this instantly. We already had 100 threads like this one. What's the point?

Questing, leveling, pre-nerf dungeons, legendary Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest, Firelands are all good memories.

Deleted
    Cataclysm stands as the only expansion I raided with all classes and had tier sets and trinkets on all of them. It was the opposite of what we currently have - there was a very clear and short character progress path which made raiding during t13 very accessable. And since the raids were quiet short as well, it took like 2h even in casual groups to clear normal. With the debuff stacking many people came even to the point killing heroic DW which addet some extra spice over the long course of the last tier. And the daily dungeon (valor/justice) system with "you can do you 7 daily dungeons at sunday if you want or just spread it over the week as you like" was the best till now.

The leveling was also great, it was linear but I liked it a lot more than MoP leveling for example, it got beaten later by WoD but not Legion for me. Other things went downhill though, the complete homogenization of gear and stats, the overinvested and quickly outdated rework of all zones, scrapped raid and the terrible narrative of dragonsoul... But overall for someone who loved playing time-effectively it was the probably greatest expansion thus far.

@Scarletlion this isn't a library archive but a forum.
    Last edited by mmocd6d7b58413; 2017-03-14 at 08:04 PM.

Do people still remember the hype Cata had before it finally launched? Good grief those were some times... literally everyone said that Cataclysm was the best thing since sliced bread, and now look at how it turned out. Cata was supposed to bring ''WoW back to its glory''.... not actually realising that WoW's glory days were during TBC and WotLK. People were stoked that dungeons were going to he harder, epics to be epic again (LUL), the new questing experience to be amazing and the world a lot more populated. Instead, people were just AFK'ing in Stormwind/Orgrimmar waiting for their LFG and later LFR queue's. Those were some times.

I miss WoD, i miss WotLK's Naxx10 and i also miss ICC's arcane mage.
    Last edited by Halobob87; 2017-03-14 at 08:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Halobob87 View Post
    I miss WoD, i miss WotLK's Naxx10 and i also miss ICC's arcane mage.
    Missing WoD? No one does that D:

I miss cata. Well half of it.
    Challenging content every level. Like hell, most daily mobs were challenge (Tol Barad) if you pulled too much. Not like current "2 dots and run to next".
    Dungeons were challenging until the massive obvious nerf-bat. So were raids. Also best guild ever back then. Too bad DS killed it.

After half of cata the obvious "PLAYER NO LIKE HARD CONTENT? RUH ROH" and massive nerf bats and quick birth of LFR to the game and cataclysm was catalysmic.

Wrath was great halfway too, but then ICC lasted year and ToC was waste of time. Ulduar was best thing this game still has. Sadly that was wraths best.
    BUT I'd take ICC over DS anytime. Any. Time.