Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    No. I side with Magneto. Bow to your mutant overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    To quote Charles Xavier:

"I feel a great swell of pity for the poor soul who comes to that school...looking for trouble"
    I heard him use that phrase twice.

It didn't work out for the school either time. More like pity the ones living there.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I suspect I would be pretty far down on their list with that kind of power. Unless they want me to cover the taste of, say, polonium in a cup of tea.

Oh, and you know they keep coming up with stuff against mutants. Some of it even works.
    Your mutation maybe harmless...your daughters potential mutation may not be. Better lock you both up...just to be safe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    As a person? Hell no. As a vigilante, yes register their hero name so we know where these people "work" and who to blame if and when laser eyes cleave a building in half
    Vigilantes don't register.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the "Potato Power" is a bonus on top of other, more useful, powers then sure...that's cool. If it's the only power I have though...lame.
    Depends how you look at it, you could spoil mealtimes for everyone if they pissed you off. Might not an awesome power but you could still have a lot fun with it lol. I agree though, I would much rather be able to break shit with my mind than make stuff taste of potato.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    Depends how you look at it, you could spoil mealtimes for everyone if they pissed you off. Might not an awesome power but you could still have a lot fun with it lol. I agree though, I would much rather be able to break shit with my mind than make stuff taste of potato.
    As a telepath I could just make them think that everything tastes like potato (or anything else) and ruin their mealtime that way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    I heard him use that phrase twice.

It didn't work out for the school either time. More like pity the ones living there.
    I remember a lot of those soldiers that came to that school ending up on the wrong side of Wolverine's Claws. The Death Count was pretty one-sided.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    I actually would think that a way to keep track of who has what power would be useful. Maybe put it on the id card and have it in the database.

Why? Well, because it would be much easier to track a criminal if its victim died a particular way, for example. It would be easier to help the mutants adapt to their powers (for example let's say Beast or Nightcrawler would go unconscious in a flaming building, if the firefighters knew who to look for they could look for that instead of a regular human). You could help employ better employees according to job based on their powers (ice creating bartender, self-regenerating firefighter, person who can see x-ray doctor, etc)

Overall I feel that registering if someone has a power or not could be useful for everyone. The "mutants" would get better treatment, better jobs, better care if they need it while humans would have their fears lowered, thus creating a feeling of trust between the regular humans and the mutated ones.
    Both sides would benefit of knowing who has dangerous powers and if criminals of any kind have powers or not.
    Both sides would benefit in the way the world is shaped as mutated humans would no longer need to hide while regular humans could benefit from the help of the mutated humans' powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I suspect I would be pretty far down on their list with that kind of power. Unless they want me to cover the taste of, say, polonium in a cup of tea.

Oh, and you know they keep coming up with stuff against mutants. Some of it even works.
    The point is that the mutant gene evolves over generations. Your power might be weak and worthless now, but your power isn't the one transmitted over generations:
    Magneto had two kids that I can remember of: Quicksilver and that Polish girl. Quicksilver was super fast and that little girl could control animals to an extent. Neither could bend metal. Your power might be weak, but your children might have extreme superpowers.
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2017-03-14 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I actually would think that a way to keep track of who has what power would be useful. Maybe put it on the id card and have it in the database.

Why? Well, because it would be much easier to track a criminal if its victim died a particular way, for example. It would be easier to help the mutants adapt to their powers (for example let's say Beast or Nightcrawler would go unconscious in a flaming building, if the firefighters knew who to look for they could look for that instead of a regular human). You could help employ better employees according to job based on their powers (ice creating bartender, self-regenerating firefighter, person who can see x-ray doctor, etc)
    And what if you don't want the government to track you? What if you don't want it to be known you're a mutant? What if the ice-creating mutant wants to be a Doctor instead of a bartender?

10+ Year Old Account
    As a telepath I could just make them think that everything tastes like potato (or anything else) and ruin their mealtime that way.
    True, but when god gives you potato tasting power you make potato tasting food right? I mean, no point crying that you aren't a telepath, just have some fun with it lol. Who knows, you could have a cool secondary mutation where you could actually turn food into potatoes, or you could spawn potatoes and throw them at people. I guess it could be worse though, you could be this guy!

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So theoretically if mutations such as the ones in the X-men comics started to happen irl. Would you support a mutant registration act? Why or why not?
    You are aware I assume that the Mutant Registration Act existed in the comic world as a parallel to all the various registration acts enacted throughout human history right? It never ends well for the group being registered.

There is no need to ask questions based on "But if Mutants existed...." History can tell you all you need to know about what happens when governments start keeping a database of people they have decided are 'other'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    The point is that the mutant gene evolves over generations. Your power might be weak and worthless now, but your power isn't the one transmitted over generations:
    Magneto had two kids that I can remember of: Quicksilver and that Polish girl. Quicksilver was super fast and that little girl could control animals to an extent. Neither could bend metal. Your power might be weak, but your children might have extreme superpowers.
    He also had another daughter called Polaris who could do exactly what could. The little girl you were talking about above, Scarlet Witch, actually proves your point, her powers basically evolved over the years and she ended up warping reality on a massive scale.

SNIP..

I remember a lot of those soldiers that came to that school ending up on the wrong side of Wolverine's Claws. The Death Count was pretty one-sided.
    Only because they didn't want to kill them. They took them hostages and took over the school a with few escaping that we know of. I'm sure others did as well and I'm sure more were caught than we know.

Pity the ones coming to that school looking for trouble? Such BS given the school lost out every time. A few henchmen died. Big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    He also had another daughter called Polaris who could do exactly what could. The little girl you were talking about above, Scarlet Witch, actually proves your point, her powers basically evolved over the years and she ended up warping reality on a massive scale.
    Also, for anyone that is watching "Legion" that isn't familiar with X-Men Comics...David Haller is Charles Xavier's son in the comics.

Yes.
    Have you seen the powers in x-men? they are incredibly dangerous, can easily cause wide-spread destruction, injury, or death, and are often very difficult for the user to control (including involuntary activation).
    Unlike something trivial such as skin color, x-men style mutant powers, even without intent, pose a serious threat to public safety.

These are powers that can easily exceed military grade weaponry. I realize possessing such powers would not be voluntary and it is somewhat unfair to subject mutants to this, but they would still need to be regulated or kept track of to some degree.
    Last edited by Arewn; 2017-03-14 at 09:02 PM.

Only because they didn't want to kill them. They took them hostages and took over the school a with few escaping that we know of. I'm sure others did as well and I'm sure more were caught than we know.

Pity the ones coming to that school looking for trouble? Such BS given the school lost out every time. A few henchmen died. Big deal.
    Everyone of those kids that was captured was rescued. The soldiers? All Dead.

Keep in mind too that the only actual X-Man that was present during that attack was Wolverine.

Everyone of those kids that was captured was rescued. The soldiers? All Dead.
    Not at the time of the school attack. That was much later. The school was attacked and they ran. They lost the entire school. Twice. Bad guys get to do what they want.

Keep in mind too that the only actual X-Man that was present during that attack was Wolverine.
    Oh well. Come to that school looking for trouble and I pity you but only if the right people are there. Not a good plan. All those other mutants are just so worthless I guess.

Not at the time of the school attack. That was much later. The school was attacked and they ran. They lost the entire school. Twice. Bad guys get to do what they want.

Oh well. Come to that school looking for trouble and I pity you but only if the right people are there. Not a good plan. All those other mutants are just so worthless I guess.
    Short Term they lost...Long Term they won.

Bottom line is attacking the school isn't in your best interest if you want to live past the end of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Why does it matter. If It turns out I'm a walking nuclear bomb, what preventative measures is anyone going to take to stop me.

If It turns out I can shoot laser beams out of my eyes if I so choose, are people going to wear laser reflective clothing everywhere you go?

People want to know just because they want to know. We don't tell anyone when or if the military has nukes under their lawn controlled by humans, so why should we tell them if there's a nuke living next door.
    I think the answer should be obvious. If the police need to talk to someone that controls metal shouldn't they be aware of that beforehand? If someone has the ability to control minds, shouldn't that be an issue if someone signs a grossly unfair contract? What if they are to appear before a judge, shouldn't there be precautions taken to ensure the judge can remain impartial?

10+ Year Old Account
    You can still pass the "X-Gene" to your offspring. That makes you dangerous.
    Well two normal humans can still create a mutant if I recall right? So wouldn't they just have to stop everyone from procreating in order to stop offspring from developing powers from the gene?

Deleted
    And what if you don't want the government to track you? What if you don't want it to be known you're a mutant? What if the ice-creating mutant wants to be a Doctor instead of a bartender?
    He could be a doctor instead of a bartender. He'd have an easier job being a bartender, but it doesn't mean all other ways are cut from him. Just like I was good at maths, but I never liked it, so I went and studied the social sciences and politics. And then I went into software qa (where, funny enough, I still don't use maths that much beyond checking that some values are just like in a document).

So, nobody is stopping him as nobody stopped me. However, regarding his powers... they need to be known to law enforcement for the reasons I specified. I'm sorry if they don't want the government to track them, but for the safety of all, both regular humans and other mutated humans, he should, by simply having his power written down somewhere. And, just like how my medical history is written down in my medical file, nobody else except those that need to know, have to know. Same here. Besides law enforcement, if a mutated human desires, nobody else needs to know.

Deleted
    Honestly, it depends on how dangerous these mutants have shown to be. Maybe if there were terrorist mutant cells (where I live), I could support it.