Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Ryzen cpu for laptops and some other questions

Hello

Disclamer:
    I dont know a lot about laptop cpus. Desctop is not an option for me.

Backstory:
    I can get a 2 month old laptop for 50% of original price trough a friend

Model:
    MSI GT73VR 6RF-221NE

Specs:
    GeForce GTX1080
    120Hz G-sync screen.
    Core i7-6700
    16GB DDR4 ram
    256 GB SSD
    500 GB SSD
    1TB HDD 7200rpm

I have 3 questions

Backstory:
    i7 7700hq is 2.80g Hz i7 7700K is 4.2Ghz
    http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare.../3647vsm211019

Desctop vertion is 50% more GHz then laptop vertion.

1. Question:
    What are your thoughts regarding laptop cpus, do you think we will see an inncrease in performance with ryzen? 50% more GHZ on stationary seems like a lot.

2. Question:

Will a gtx 1080 be bottlenecked by a i7 7700hq (2.8gz) in games?
    (different result based on different games, but in general. PS. playerunknown's battlegrounds is THE new game i want to play)

3. Question:
    I have enough cash saves up, I can buy the laptop above and the 50% discount on a 2 month old prestine laptop seems like a really good deal. What do you think? I can hold on with buying a laptop til late august, but this offer is only here until someone else buys and I doubt I will see a similar deal.

Thanks in advance, I never do any pc or hardware purchase before checking with you guys/girls first

Are you sure that your friend didn't steal it?

I mean 50% off on a two month old laptop seems fishy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    Are you sure that your friend didn't steal it?

I mean 50% off on a two month old laptop seems fishy to me.
    Yes I am sure, a friend was with him when he bought it and he has a reciept

Quote Originally Posted by Lanfear1 View Post
    Yes I am sure, a friend was with him when he bought it and he has a reciept
    Ok then I guess that all is well.

You should probably buy it as soon as you can.
    Last edited by Amalaric; 2017-03-15 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanfear1 View Post
    I have 3 questions

Backstory:
    i7 7700hq is 2.80g Hz i7 7700K is 4.2Ghz
    http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare.../3647vsm211019

Desctop vertion is 50% more GHz then laptop vertion.

1. Question:
    What are your thoughts regarding laptop cpus, do you think we will see an inncrease in performance with ryzen? 50% more GHZ on stationary seems like a lot.

2. Question:

Will a gtx 1080 be bottlenecked by a i7 7700hq (2.8gz) in games?
    (different result based on different games, but in general. PS. playerunknown's battlegrounds is THE new game i want to play)
    7700HQ is a 3.80GHz turbo, but you mentioned a 6700(HQ?) which is a bit slower. Still slower than a desktop processor, but about the best you'll get in a laptop.

1: Yeah, we'll see an improvement with Ryzen, but not anytime soon. IIRC laptop CPUs are out in the second half of this year and if they're many-core focused like the desktop chips their clocks will be lower to compensate. Kind of a wash.

2: Yes, and no, it does depend on the game. In some applications the CPU will always be the bottleneck, and in others the GPU will be, and in some they strike a fine balance. Just get a good CPU and a good GPU, which this laptop has, and at half price is probably an amazing buy.
    Super casual.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the value is as great as it sounds, and the laptop is in great condition you should purchase it. For a laptop the performance level is very high.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    7700HQ is a 3.80GHz turbo, but you mentioned a 6700(HQ?)
    3.8 turbo, does that mean its as fast as a i5 3570k?

Quote Originally Posted by dicertification View Post
    If the value is as great as it sounds, and the laptop is in great condition you should purchase it. For a laptop the performance level is very high.
    Listen to this guy and just buy it already.

This is a top end gaming laptop. New it would be very expensive.

Ryzen is NOT going to be beating the Intel CPUs for performance in most situations, especially not in a laptop for gaming.

What Ryzen IS doing is getting AMD up to rough parity in performance and at a significantly lower cost with more cores in general. The top end Ryzen chip is $500 and is competing with Intel chips that cost $1000+.

Mind you more than 4 cores is fairly useless for gaming, so that really isn't helping for a gaming laptop and more cores will generate more heat and require more power. So that's not a reason to go with Ryzen over an intel chip in a laptop.

The intel chips also have significantly lower power draws as that's what Intel has really been working on for the past few generations. The Ryzen chips are a LOT more power efficient than the older AMD chips, but AFAIK aren't even available in laptops and the current versions are aimed exclusively at desktop systems.

Actually ryzen chips have incredible potential for content creators in mobile segment. Soooo many youtubers are out on the road editing and compressing videos, it could be a real time saver over what intel is offering.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Actually ryzen chips have incredible potential for content creators in mobile segment. Soooo many youtubers are out on the road editing and compressing videos, it could be a real time saver over what intel is offering.
    There's no question they can deliver high performance in highly threaded applications like video work and do so at a FAR lower system cost.

Even there though, the Ryzen chips are unlikely to be crushing the intel chips.

Intel's CPUs are basically excellent across the board, their big "flaw" is that they've stagnated in terms of performance for the past 3-4 generations of chips.

So, it's not that Intel is making chips that are dramatically inferior in some way, the Ryzen chips can just deliver similar performance for potentially something like less than half the cost for the high end > 4 core systems. Their price advantage diminishes substantially if you are talking about the more conventional consumer systems, which are of course far more price sensitive.

Since gaming is what the OP was asking about I was, that's what I was primarily talking about in terms of performance.

Even there though, the Ryzen chips are unlikely to be crushing the intel chips.
    Umm wha?

You do realize laptop OEM's could potentially stuff a modified ryzen 7 1700 into a normal sized laptop right? Nothing intel is offering right now is anywhere close to what could be achieved by that chip in a power sensitive situation.

And again please people, you are all overreacting to the mass media about ryzens gaming chops. Its not like ryzen cant play any game that intel can, in fact no one could even differentiate gameplay between a ryzen machine or a kaby lake machine unless you had a FPS counter running. Compressing video is a different story altogether, there are tangible and measurable benefits that can be had there.

Umm wha?

You do realize laptop OEM's could potentially stuff a modified ryzen 7 1700 into a normal sized laptop right? Nothing intel is offering right now is anywhere close to what could be achieved by that chip in a power sensitive situation.
    The Ryzen 7s are not dramatically superior in power consumption to the chip Intel sells for use in laptops. In fact, they draw about 2-3 times the power that the Intel Laptop chips do and about the same as the Intel desktop 4 core chips do.

They're not intended to be used in laptops. Those versions are coming later.

Can you stuff one in a laptop, sure.

People have stuffed the high end Intel chips in laptops too, but they don't make for very good laptops, more like highly move-able desktops.

Yes, they're obviously going to have an advantage in highly threaded tasks vs the Intel 4 core chips, but that's not what the OP was asking about. He was buying something to play games on.

And again please people, you are all overreacting to the mass media about ryzens gaming chops. Its not like ryzen cant play any game that intel can, in fact no one could even differentiate gameplay between a ryzen machine or a kaby lake machine unless you had a FPS counter running. Compressing video is a different story altogether, there are tangible and measurable benefits that can be had there.
    You might want to try reading what I actually wrote. I never said the Ryzen chips were drastically inferior to the Intel chips.

I said they weren't superior in performance and that Ryzen is basically getting them up to rough parity with the intel chips.

They only "crush" the Intel chips if you are comparing oranges to apples and in usages that they aren't intended for. The six and eight core chips aren't aimed at competing with the Intel 4 core chips and they sell to a different market.

The chips they do compete with, the socket 2011-v3s, they don't crush either, but they are better at somethings, worse at others.

They do it however for far less money, easily half the price or less than a comparable Intel system is going to cost.

I was merely replying to your "wont crush intel in those tasks either" comment. That is where you are wrong, you do realize the most cores you can get in an intel laptop is 4 with 8 threads right? Not sure how you came to the conclusion an 8c 16t chip wont be drastically faster there.

I was merely replying to your "wont crush intel in those tasks either" comment. That is where you are wrong, you do realize the most cores you can get in an intel laptop is 4 with 8 threads right? Not sure how you came to the conclusion an 8c 16t chip wont be drastically faster there.
    Again, you have failed to read what I actually wrote.

The 6/8 core Ryzens don't crush the equivalent 6-8 core intel chips, which is what I said. They have roughly comparable performance.

You seem to think for some reason based on reading comprehension failure, that I'm arguing the 4 core intel chips won't get beaten by the higher core count chips in highly threaded task. Of course they're going to loose if the cores have roughly comparable performance, which they do.

You are however ignoring the fact that the 4 core chips in most laptops are <SHOCK> Laptop CPUs <SHOCK> with significantly lower power draw, lower TDP and not desktop chips like the Ryzen chips you are talking about.

Can you stuff one in a laptop, sure. It's just a bad idea if you want <SHOCK> A LAPTOP!!! <SHOCK> and not a luggable desktop.

If you want a machine you can use on battery, that doesn't weigh a lot, desktop CPUs SUCK. There are NO Ryzen chips out currently that are intended for use in laptops.

Those aren't even going to get released for another 3+ months.

Jesus you are long winded.

The thread is about laptops, please link me a 6 or 8 core intel laptop.

Sheesh some people...

Jesus you are long winded.
    You can't understand basic english apparently. Your point?

The thread is about laptops, please link me a 6 or 8 core intel laptop.

Sheesh some people...
    So, why are you bringing up desktop CPUs with regards to a laptop then?

These go up to 12 core chips actually.

http://www.titancomputers.com/Intel-...on-p/x95mw.htm
    http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(1,234,0)ec

There have been other similar machines in the past as well. Never exactly popular or widely used for obvious reasons.

Show me a portable with a Ryzen laptop CPU or a thin light laptop with good battery life that uses a desktop Ryzen CPU.
    Last edited by Akainakali; 2017-03-17 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    So,why are you bringing up desktop CPUs with regards to a laptop then?

These go up to 12 core chips actually.

http://www.titancomputers.com/Intel-...on-p/x95mw.htm
    http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(1,234,0)ec

There have been other similar machines in the past as well. Never exactly popular or widely used for obvious reasons.

Show me a portable with a Ryzen laptop CPU or a thin light laptop with a desktop Ryzen CPU.
    My goodness you actually scoured the internet for a unicorn lmao.

Whats funny about this whole conversation is you actually thought i meant stuffing a desktop CPU into a laptop, of course i am talking about when AMD comes out with ryzen mobile CPU's (which will be cut down desktop chips with TDP's suitable for mobile use).

Just kinda funny

My goodness you actually scoured the internet for a unicorn lmao.
    Actually I've always found it fascinating that some people want to stuff a CPU like that into something so manifestly unsuited to it.

It's even easier to find laptops that take the 4 core desktop chips, with similar drawbacks, just not as bad.

Besides it didn't take a whole lot of googling. I can see how you might find using google difficult though.

Whats funny about this whole conversation is you actually thought i meant stuffing a desktop CPU into a laptop, of course i am talking about when AMD comes out with ryzen mobile CPU's (which will be cut down desktop chips with TDP's suitable for mobile use).

Just kinda funny
    Well apparently you can't understand what you've written either.

Umm wha?

Regardless, the announcement that these "laptop Ryzen" chips will have 6-8 cores is where exactly?

Odds are the laptop Ryzen are going to have a max of 4 cores for exactly the same reason that intel makes laptop CPUs with a max of 4 cores. Power consumption and heat generation.

Even the 4 core Intel chips can make for a dammed hot laptop.
    Last edited by Akainakali; 2017-03-17 at 08:02 PM.

Yes i worded that poorly by calling out the 1700 by name, but what i meant by that i like how nvidia is custom tailoring 10 series GPU TDP's to fit inside laptops

I am not sure where you get the idea ryzen laptops will be 4 cores max, there is no correlation between core count and power consumption. Ryzen is incredibly power efficient, check this out:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/..._1800X/14.html

Ryzen is hands down the most energy-efficient performance CPU AMD ever made, and easily outclasses Intel's 14 nm "leadership." Good show