Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why does Mass Effect seem to be more popular in the Western World?

One day I got curious and what to find out the exact size of the Mass Effect global fanbase.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/44118/mass-effect-3/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/44866/mass-effect-3/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/44119/mass-effect-3/

North America=2.98

Europe=1.85

Japan=0.06

Rest of the world=0.56

So why do you think Mass Effect is more popular in North America and Europe? Cultural reasons? Is spaceship adventure more appealing to Western people? Economic? People in other parts of the world can't afford AAA console and PC games?

10+ Year Old Account
    Traditionally Western science fiction writing tropes and caucasian protagonists.

The same reason Star Trek is comparatively unpopular in Japan.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all about the gameplay, perhaps a little bit about the story. Different type of games for different type of people and yes, even that is influenced by cultural norms.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Traditionally Western science fiction writing tropes and caucasian protagonists.

The same reason Star Trek is comparatively unpopular in Japan.
    Not really. Anime and Mangas have a very strong worldwide public. Just think about Naruto, a blond-haired, blue-eyed extroverted protagonist.

Japan tend to live in its own little cultural bubble that is very strongly appreciated locally, but also internationally. But since they live so much in it, it's very hard for them to seek out other products (one big problem being region-lock).
    Last edited by Zandalarian Paladin; 2017-03-14 at 09:29 PM.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    It's not about a girl with a katana, so Japan has 0 interest for it.
    Last edited by mmoc594fd2488f; 2017-03-14 at 09:32 PM.

Was this character an attempt to cash in on the Japanese gamer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    - snip -
    Is that Deus Ex or NieR?
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Is that Deus Ex or NieR?
    It's the, very, annoying Assassin Boss from ME3.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that Deus Ex or NieR?
    Mass Effect 3, character is Kai Leng. He's quite despised among the mass effect fandom.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Wasn't a playable character so...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Mass Effect 3, character is Kai Leng. He's quite despised among the mass effect fandom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    It's the, very, annoying Assassin Boss from ME3.
    Well, that make sense in a ME thread. Not sure why I thought it was something else. I guess he looked a lot like Jensen.
    Google Diversity Memo

Western developed game, developed with a Western audience in mind, primarily marketed in the West.

It's pretty straight forward stuff.

Beacuse ME doesn't have female chars with child-like faces and huge knockers?

I'm not even trying to be offensive here, I'm telling like it is.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post

And katanas.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Western developed game, developed with a Western audience in mind, primarily marketed in the West.

It's pretty straight forward stuff.
    Yeah coz Japs Games are sooooo Deeep and Complicated ......

Quote Originally Posted by Mordago View Post
    And katanas.
    You both left out school girl outfit as well.

http://nintendotoday.com/top-20-best...2016-revealed/

[3DS] Pokémon Sun
    [3DS] Pokémon Moon
    [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3
    [PS4] Final Fantasy XV
    [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sushi
    [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Tempura
    [3DS] Yo-kai Sangokushi
    [PS4] Dark Souls III
    [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot
    [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders
    [PS4] Dragon Quest Heroes II
    [3DS] Monster Hunter Stories
    [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations
    [PS4] Persona 5
    [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice
    [PS4] Tales of Berseria
    [PSV] Dragon Quest Heroes II
    [PSV] Minecraft
    [PS4] Battlefield 1
    [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders
    Of that list, the only one that I can see that comes close to what you're describing is Tales of Berseria, at least to my knowledge.

This is a silly stereotype that, while true for their thriving market of niche games, ignores the broader market, specifically the more successful titles.

No, they just push their ass straight into your camera during their introduction.

It's all about the gameplay, perhaps a little bit about the story. Different type of games for different type of people and yes, even that is influenced by cultural norms.

Not really. Anime and Mangas have a very strong worldwide public. Just think about Naruto, a blond-haired, blue-eyed extroverted protagonist.

Japan tend to live in its own little cultural bubble that is very strongly appreciated locally, but also internationally. But since they live so much in it, it's very hard for them to seek out other products (one big problem being region-lock).
    Contrary to what the small segment of teenage boys/young adult men that cant get enough Anime would have you believe...anime is comparatively unpopular in the west, with the exception of worldwide phenomena Pokemon.

On topic, Mass Effect is essentially a melting pot of scifi, and nearly all scifi of note har originated in the west. Star Trek clearly being the greatest contributor.

I also don't think Kai Leng was an addition made to attract asian gamers. EA would've been fully aware that ME wasn't going to sell well in Asia. If anything Kai Leng was added because some of the devs are fans of Katanas and ninjas.
    Last edited by Shiny212; 2017-03-14 at 10:25 PM.

Deleted
    It doesn't have a main character that looks like an overly sexualised school girl, so of course they are not interested

Not that serious

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Contrary to what the small segment of teenage boys/young adult men that cant get enough Anime would have you believe...anime is comparatively unpopular in the west, with the exception of worldwide phenomena Pokemon.

On topic, Mass Effect is essentially a melting pot of scifi, and nearly all scifi of note har originated in the west. Star Trek clearly being the greatest contributor.
    Frankly I had women in mind when I thought about anime, as they seem to be one of the strongest proponents of anime and manga here. Then again, perhaps my view is tainted from confirmation bias.

However, if you compare ME and Final Fantasy XV, for instance, Final Fantasy XV had much stronger sales in Japan than Mass Effect, while its impact is also very strong in the US and Europe. It's hard to find a rationale explanation to this which does not categorize cultural behaviors.
    Google Diversity Memo