Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Yes, to think of it, I've never ever seen a woman wear a burqa outside UAE. Maybe it is different in Europe, but in the US, Canada and Australia I've barely even seen anyone wear hijab, and never niqab/burqa. Don't think this verdict was worth the taxpayers' money spent on its consideration.
    Well it was only taken into consideration because two muslim women thought that company rules shouldn't apply to them and tried to sue their employer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    No we don't: the only reason that burqas and hijabs have been mentioned in this article is because 2 women who wanted to be able to wear them in the workplace after being told they couldn't, decided to take the matter to court. Where they lost. The court didn't say 'burqas are banned lol fu!', the court said 'employers in Europe have the right to decide if people can display religious icons openly or not, as they see fit'.

Unfortunately a very, very badly chosen and seemingly deliberately inflammatory title has meant that very few of the people commenting here have actually gone and looked at the actual ruling.
    I did ask a mod for the title to be changed for that reason, but they rather keep it like this

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    that's why I don't speculate on my gut feeling on top of my biases because when the BBC did it's research they concluded that the percentage of people wearing it's such a small percentage that a person has to wonder why governments are pushing for policies and discussions involving the burka.
    Well what the BBC has to say about the UK is honestly largely irrelevant to Sweden I have to say.

Not to mention you don't know my field, for all you know I could be an Imam and maybe I interact with 100+ people in burqa, niqab and chador every day.
    Last edited by mmocbf3af6dcb2; 2017-03-15 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    I agree with the ruling. In Western society this kind of symbol of oppression should not be tolerated.
    I agree with the ruling but I'm not a bigot who doesn't understand the headscarfs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post
    Well what the BBC has to say about the UK is honestly largely irrelevant to Sweden I have to say.

Not to mention you don't know my field, for all you know I could be an Imam and maybe I interact with 100+ people in burqa, niqab and chador every day.
    but you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    The law or the article?
    The articles obviously, but I generally meant what people want to see disappear. Then there's also the people saying they find it good because of oppression, but that's just a simple excuse imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    The law or the article?
    The article is about headscarfs, niqabs and burqas are forbidden by law.

Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post

Pff will link it again and is the difference a proper argument and what you just did, I already linked this article before and I will do this again but this is what a actual argument looks like instead of making wild claims without backing it up with a single bit of proof.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-13038095

They include multiply European countries, so maybe Sweden is the exception of the exception but then it's up to you to proof that after I showed you that at least in multiply countries the number of women covering their entire face is a stupid low percentage that it doesn't justify any action unless you can proof that they are being oppressed.

Only an estimated 150 women wear the full niqab in Austria
    France has about five million Muslims - the largest Muslim minority in Western Europe - but it is thought only about 2,000 women wear full veils.
    Around 5% of the Netherlands' 16 million residents are Muslims, but only around 300 are thought to wear the niqab or the burka. The wearing of headscarves is far more common, however.
    You know I'm not asking for much when I ask people to show me credible sources

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    If its not religious why do these people claim their religious freedom is oppressed when they cant wear it. Maybe someone should tell them its a cultural thing.
    Propaganda. Religion being abused as a tool to oppress. I've said it before, I'll say it again in the future... Islam isn't the problem. It's extremists picking the first available ideology to opress people.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    The articles obviously, but I generally meant what people want to see disappear. Then there's also the people saying they find it good because of oppression, but that's just a simple excuse imo.
    Secularism has been a thing for a long time, also in dress codes. That is why you barely see any Christian religious symbols either - they are already removed from the work places. Muslim symbols are a much more recent attire in Western Countries, and it is simply being treated the same way other religious symbols have been treated for a long time. It isn't because burqas or head scarfs should disappear altogether, it is because Islam should not be treated better than other religions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblebeard View Post
    Which law?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Propaganda. Religion being abused as a tool to oppress. I've said it before, I'll say it again in the future... Islam isn't the problem. It's extremists picking the first available ideology to opress people.
    If there are readily available ideologies that are spread over millions of people - they are the problem. Imagine what would extremists do without such ideologies? They will have to invent their own and convince people to follow it. Zero success chance.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    If there are readily available ideologies that are spread over millions of people - they are the problem. Imagine what would extremists do without such ideologies? They will have to invent their own and convince people to follow it. Zero success chance.
    If it hadn't been Islam, it would have been something else. Anti-westernism has worked well for them in the past. Heck, if they were Christian, we'd probably have the same conversation about Arabic-Orthodox Christianity right now. But hey, continue to blame it on Islam, where billions of people just about manage to get through their daily lives without feeding the religious hunger to slaughter unbelievers that Islam is teaching them...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    If it hadn't been Islam, it would have been something else. Anti-westernism has worked well for them in the past. Heck, if they were Christian, we'd probably have the same conversation about Arabic-Orthodox Christianity right now. But hey, continue to blame it on Islam, where billions of people just about manage to get through their daily lives without feeding the religious hunger to slaughter unbelievers that Islam is teaching them...
    I don't blame it on Islam, I agree with you on this - that's why I said "ideologies" and not Islam. Christianity is as bad. So is Judaism and Hinduism and whatever are the next 10 religions with the most infected.

it's just Islam is the current go to ideology for extremists so it makes no point focusing on any other.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Wrong. Some muslims do, not "certain ethnic groups". Ergo, it's not racism.
    If it makes you sleep better at night then call it whatever the fuck you want. I for one believe that certain people should not be intentionally subjected to harassment, discrimination and hate based on any reason whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    But we all know it's just aimed at burqas or hijabs though.
    Oh, we do?

No, that's merely what you assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbleduck View Post
    Actually type of hijab is very much dependent on ethnicity. Hijab in Aryan dominated places of muslim world is vastly different than hijab in let's say Arab dominated places
    Yes, a Turkish hijab fits loosely around the forehead creating a kind of cap, while a Moroccan hijab hugs the forehead tightly. You have pink ones, black ones, blue ones and polka-dot ones, Ferragamo ones, GAP ones and C&A ones. Would you care to explain why this is relevant to the conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    If it makes you sleep better at night then call it whatever the fuck you want. I for one believe that certain people should not be intentionally subjected to harassment, discrimination and hate based on any reason whatsoever.
    Do you cry harassment when your employer asks you to wear a tie to work? Do you think religious people deserve special treatment? I don't. Companies have the right to implement a dress code and you are obliged to respect it if you want to work there, whether you're religious or not.

This reminds me of a guy that refused to cut his rasta hair and cried "racism" when his application was denied.

It's so easy to take distance from any responsibility when you have the racism card to play and that card is played a lot.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2017-03-15 at 12:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by general1992 View Post
    Which law?
    Pretty sure they are banned in public in Belgium and France.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Pretty sure they are banned in public in Belgium and France.
    I would check your sources if I were you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you cry harassment when your employer asks you to wear a tie to work? [/U][/B].
    I do, every summer when I am forced to continue and every one of my colleagues who are all female get to dress in summer clothes, often looking they are going to the beach :P Never gets me anywhere though . . . . . .

- - - Updated - - -

I would check your sources if I were you.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French..._face_covering

Ergo, burqas are banned in public in France.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

I do, every summer when I am forced to continue and every one of my colleagues who are all female get to dress in summer clothes, often looking they are going to the beach :P Never gets me anywhere though . . . . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French..._face_covering

Ergo, burqas are banned in public in France.
    I repeat, check your sources. The reply was based on this remark:

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblebeard View Post
    You can't just present some assumption as a fact, merely because said assumption has a minor element of truth hidden in it. Furthermore, the law isn't aimed at burqas, niqabs or muslims in general, but at anyone covering their face.

You people seriously need to work on your comprehensive reading skills. The assumpions made in these knee-jerk reactions are rather appalling.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2017-03-15 at 01:22 PM.

I'm not allowed to wear anything on my head at work. Hell, we have a bald guy who had to sit right under an AC duct and they wouldn't even let him wear anything to keep warm (they moved him instead). I don't see why an employer should be forced to let you wear headwear just because of culture/religion.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    They include multiply European countries, so maybe Sweden is the exception of the exception but then it's up to you to proof that after I showed you that at least in multiply countries the number of women covering their entire face is a stupid low percentage that it doesn't justify any action unless you can proof that they are being oppressed.
    The thing is, no one is making any action on policy level (you mentioned policies on burqas before) aimed at burqas alone. French ban is just an effect of anti-mask law. This ruling is about all religious and philosophical symbols. So yes, burqas may be rare, but when it comes to policy they are just a part of larger whole that the policy is about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Deleted
    Do you cry harassment when your employer asks you to wear a tie to work? Do you think religious people deserve special treatment? I don't. Companies have the right to implement a dress code and you are obliged to respect it if you want to work there, whether you're religious or not.

This reminds me of a guy that refused to cut his rasta hair and cried "racism" when his application was denied.

It's so easy to take distance from any responsibility when you have the racism card to play and that card is played a lot.
    No, but I was responding to a guy who believes any employer should simply decline to employ any muslim that applies and then lie about their reasons.