Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    "Ex-Blizzard devs" means absolutely nothing.

It's the whole team that makes the game, not 3 or 4 people ...

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    So many people are complaining about the abundance of survival games... And here I am, dumbfounded, with no idea what a survival game is. :/
    The ones @lightspark mentioned above are some of the most well-known, but there are hundreds of variations (most of them in Early-Access on steam), which pretty much exploded since DayZ (originally a mod for ArmA 2) went viral. If I recall correctly it was all because either a reddit post or similar regarding DayZ, describing intense emotional experiences while playing the mod (meeting and helping/being helped by "strangers" which then they were betrayed by or ended up betraying, feeling actual guilt from killing people, etc) went viral, which led a bunch of youtubers to do letsplays and streams and whatnot, which lead to it being even more popular.

Since then there's been pretty much a non ending stream of Day-Z clones (or if you prefer, Day-Z "inspired") games on steam, most of them in Early Access, with great promisses/ambitions, but almost always poor quality and most never leaving early access.

Basicly they're generally multiplayer games with survival elements (sometimes stuff like hunger, thirst, temperature, disease/wounds, etc), basic RPG (gear, sometimes stats and/or levels), crafting/building elements (craft/combine gear and items, craft building pieces to place in the world and build houses/forts) and some sort of perma-death (usually with the option of full perma-death, ie you get banned from the server after you die, or simply you lose all your stuff and most if not all of your progress and respawn at a random location from scratch).

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    survival games are a huge potentional, we still dont have a epic survival game so far

either alpha for million years

or full of damn bugs

So many people are complaining about the abundance of survival games... And here I am, dumbfounded, with no idea what a survival game is. :/ Is it like Alien: Isolation, in which you need to survive for as long as possible? If so, I don't think I've ever played one, aside from some custom maps in Blizzard RTS games.
    The timeline:
    >series of games exist spun off from roguelikes that have upkeep in the form of crafting
    >minecraft appears causing a huge boom of interest in a free roam version of the idea
    >que massive wave of shat out cash in sandboxes where you punch trees to get wood and fight zombies
    >second wave appears from larger companies that insert freemium lockbox/cash shop scams
    >99 times out of 100 players realise its the same shit with a slightly different coat of paint and they die before making it out of early access
    >the scam being that it will never leave early access because, since it began with playstation homes eternal beta, keeping the early access/open beta moniker makes you immune to criticism and thus more likely to start the whole "brand ambassador"/"TROO FAN" brand loyalty indoctrination process to recruit keyboard warriors.

TL-DR: Its a term used nowadays for games that are a sandbox where you craft things and sadly all too often fight zombies, babies first ai programming lesson project. They are easily shit out titles to recoup fast easy profit for minimal output.

Think No Mans Sky but often even worse.

Looks like it could be decent, Wildstar was an excellent game destroyed by issues of poor management and shoddy releases. So my experience with ex blizzard is "neat" then again, I don't get some satisfaction off of claiming any mmorpg that fell under is "gross"

But on the other hand, it's a survival game, and not something I could put significant time into unless it is something truly special.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgath View Post
    "Ex-Blizzard devs" means absolutely nothing.

It's the whole team that makes the game, not 3 or 4 people ...
    That probably is the full team...

That's what people do with these survival games... Put together a team of like five guys... Pool their resources for some licenses/a work space... Make a shitty survival game identical to every other survival game... Throw it on steam early access for $30...

The game doesn't need to sell well, a few tens of thousands of copies and they all make a decent wage, a few hundreds of thousands and they make out like bandits... A million copies, they all become millionaires.

So will it release or will it die in Early Access like so many other Survival games?

The bets are on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might be the minority but I never caught wind of any survival game.
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    May90 has also been living under a rock .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    That probably is the full team...

That's what people do with these survival games... Put together a team of like five guys... Pool their resources for some licenses/a work space... Make a shitty survival game identical to every other survival game... Throw it on steam early access for $30...

The game doesn't need to sell well, a few tens of thousands of copies and they all make a decent wage, a few hundreds of thousands and they make out like bandits... A million copies, they all become millionaires.
    s/he meant that 3-4 people means nothing because vanilla wow wasn't made by 3-4 people but probably closer to 100 people, so 3 or 4 devs that no one has heard of means nothing when you say "ex blizzard devs"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nutricul View Post
    Ive barely played any, but im aware of them, its not a genre that interests me so far, maybe if someone made a more polished survival game it would be better. but it seems 90% of the survival games out there at the moment are constantly in beta, or at least play like they are beta.

Deleted
    But but muh Vanilla developers, they can't be wrong!

OT: not really a fan of this type of game, future will tell!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    Can we stop having 73 survival games each month please ?
    They apparently mix super-greatly with Twitch and alcohol.

And 12-year-olds.

EDIT: That's semi-grumpy btw as I enjoy those titles occasionally. It's just that most of those seem to rely on sandbox formula, thus fueling potential "cool streams" where the guys are just dicking around shitfaced while spewing random crap into the microphone. Still, to each his own - I have my own guilty pleasures too.
    Last edited by Spray; 2017-03-15 at 06:04 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Survival games are really hit or miss, most of the time they miss.
    Ark for example, I played it a decent amount of time but in order to really get the most out of it you have to play it alot. You build something then spend a large amount of time defending that from other players(pvp servers). It got worse when people from places like China also started playing since they have peak times that are when most people are sleeping, so it basically large groups of Chinese players destroying everything you had made while you were sleeping.

I hope this game avoids things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    They apparently mix super-greatly with Twitch and alcohol.

And 12-year-olds.

EDIT: That's semi-grumpy btw as I enjoy those titles occasionally. It's just that most of those seem to rely on sandbox formula, thus fueling potential "cool streams" where the guys are just dicking around shitfaced while spewing random crap into the microphone. Still, to each his own - I have my own guilty pleasures too.
    Its really the multiplayer aspects that lead to them being garbage. It always leads to greifing in a game where the challenge should be you against the world.

Case in point a single player version done right because they could afford to focus on the world, not make it a playground for any random asshole to fuck your shit up:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    The ones @lightspark mentioned above are some of the most well-known, but there are hundreds of variations (most of them in Early-Access on steam), which pretty much exploded since DayZ (originally a mod for ArmA 2) went viral. If I recall correctly it was all because either a reddit post or similar regarding DayZ, describing intense emotional experiences while playing the mod (meeting and helping/being helped by "strangers" which then they were betrayed by or ended up betraying, feeling actual guilt from killing people, etc) went viral, which led a bunch of youtubers to do letsplays and streams and whatnot, which lead to it being even more popular.

Since then there's been pretty much a non ending stream of Day-Z clones (or if you prefer, Day-Z "inspired") games on steam, most of them in Early Access, with great promisses/ambitions, but almost always poor quality and most never leaving early access.

Basicly they're generally multiplayer games with survival elements (sometimes stuff like hunger, thirst, temperature, disease/wounds, etc), basic RPG (gear, sometimes stats and/or levels), crafting/building elements (craft/combine gear and items, craft building pieces to place in the world and build houses/forts) and some sort of perma-death (usually with the option of full perma-death, ie you get banned from the server after you die, or simply you lose all your stuff and most if not all of your progress and respawn at a random location from scratch).
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    The timeline:
    >series of games exist spun off from roguelikes that have upkeep in the form of crafting
    >minecraft appears causing a huge boom of interest in a free roam version of the idea
    >que massive wave of shat out cash in sandboxes where you punch trees to get wood and fight zombies
    >second wave appears from larger companies that insert freemium lockbox/cash shop scams
    >99 times out of 100 players realise its the same shit with a slightly different coat of paint and they die before making it out of early access
    >the scam being that it will never leave early access because, since it began with playstation homes eternal beta, keeping the early access/open beta moniker makes you immune to criticism and thus more likely to start the whole "brand ambassador"/"TROO FAN" brand loyalty indoctrination process to recruit keyboard warriors.

TL-DR: Its a term used nowadays for games that are a sandbox where you craft things and sadly all too often fight zombies, babies first ai programming lesson project. They are easily shit out titles to recoup fast easy profit for minimal output.

Think No Mans Sky but often even worse.
    Ah, I see. Yeah, I don't think I've ever played a game like this; doesn't sound like too much fun, so, I guess, it is just not my cup of tea, hence why I didn't know of them. I played maps like Troll Tribes in Warcraft 3 or Kobold Tribes in Starcraft 2, which are very similar to what you guys describe: those were fun maps, but I'm not sure how fun it would be to have a dedicated game for such a specific genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    How many flops have touted "from some guys that worked on WoW" at this point?

I will remain sceptical.
    This sums it up.
    Previous success does not guarantee anything in the future.
    Given the huge change in genre, what relevance is there anyway to their past games.
    None I would say.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Let's not forget Firefall either

"Ex-blizzard" devs are Ex for a reason
    Wildstar was a good game with a ton of potential. Just a few misteps by devs and some odd design choices.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I don't think I've ever played a game like this; doesn't sound like too much fun, so, I guess, it is just not my cup of tea, hence why I didn't know of them. I played maps like Troll Tribes in Warcraft 3 or Kobold Tribes in Starcraft 2, which are very similar to what you guys describe: those were fun maps, but I'm not sure how fun it would be to have a dedicated game for such a specific genre.
    Yea it's pretty specific and in general they turn out pretty bland for anyone who's not really into it. I suppose usually it's more of a social experience than a great game by itself (it's fun if you play with people you know and coordinate to do stuff, but not that great by the gameplay itself, you know?). Doesn't help that most are unfinished and/or unpolished and so far afaik none really made crafting truly interesting (imo) - but they certainly are a niche that is a lot of fun for some people

As to this game, I don't know. It doesn't really call to me. I can see it being fun to play with friends (kinda like all of the other better survival games), but that's about it. I don't see myself spending money on it anytime soon, personally. But hey, hope it does turn out to be a good game that will be fun for some people.

10+ Year Old Account
    survival game

0/10