Ignore pain deployment

Hey all, Just a quick noob question. This "Ignore Pain" is new to me so I just want to make sure i'm using it right. When I'm tanking and lets say I have a full bar of rage. If I spam ignore pain does that give me more mitigation, or am i just pissing away rage? I originally thought the more rage you had the more the mitigation ,but i'm just not sure at this point. Thanks

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ignore Pain scales linear with rage and does stack to an extent. It'll cap at a certain amount (based on health I believe), but I can't recall that exact amount though it's high enough to where you probably don't need to concern yourself with it. Using Ignore Pain will refresh the duration of your current IP buff and add to the amount absorbed.

There is no benefit to using it at 60 rage vs 20 rage outside of taking advantage of Dragon Scales buff and/or the Vengeance buffs. If Dragon Scales proc's you want to try and maximize the Ignore Pain for the max benefit. If you're using Vengeance, you always want to try and use IP with the Vengeance: Ignore Pain buff at 39 rage for maximum rage savings. This will give you a 60 rage IP for the price of 39 rage. Outside of those 2 buffs, the linear scaling will cause IP to receive the same absorb when using IP 3 times at 20 rage vs using it once at 60 rage.

You can pool rage if you know you're about to need it for incoming damage, but don't waste rage by capping it and leaving it there. Also try and avoid letting your current Ignore Pain buff fall off and get wasted assuming the damage doesn't break it first. Just renew it to add to the absorb instead.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

So, if i have full rage and my health is below half is it worth it to hit it twice for extra mitigation?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgan962 View Post
    So, if i have full rage and my health is below half is it worth it to hit it twice for extra mitigation?
    Well honestly you should never have full rage except in a case of pooling it for huge incoming damage (and even then you don't want to leave it capped).

That said it's an absorb. You don't have to wait until half health. The only talent where health affects the IP is Never Surrender and at this point you should never be using that talent. Using it at full health is still fully effective as it's an absorb not a heal. Preventing the damage from ever happening is how absorbs work. You don't wait for the damage to happen and then use the absorb.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Ignore Pain scales linear with rage and does stack to an extent. It'll cap at a certain amount (based on health I believe), but I can't recall that exact amount though it's high enough to where you probably don't need to concern yourself with it.
    Pretty sure the cap is 3x the amount of a base 60 rage ignore pain. using ignore pain with dragon scales triggered will increase it past that threshold, and using it again while its over the regular cap will cause it to cull the amount over it.

Deleted
    Apart from pooling situations, don't let yourself ragecap. Depending on talent setup etc, you'll want to use max rage cost ignore pains as often as possible to smooth out the damage you take while keeping shield block up. Adding in there revenge rage cost, I find myself using Ignore Pain around 80 rage most of the time, which leaves me with enough rage to shield block if needed and revenge when needed (playing with devastator means i'll never have to wait that long for rage to get back to 15 anyways).

What I find the most confortable both from a tank and healer pov in M+ is letting your health drop a bit (say 30% missing health), pop a full rage IP, which will give your healer time to pop you back up without any trouble, rinse and repeat. If you're lucky enough to get the bracers you can easily dip a bit lower. And obviously keep and eye out for the dragonscales buff which increases the amount of absorb you get from the next IP you cast.

If you need to pool absorb for a certain mechanic (say Helya's Breath in ToV or Odyn's spears), you'll want to get near rage cap, dump it twice (or weave in a revenge if you're playing with vengeance), get as much rage as possible in and use it a 3rd time before the mechanic hits you. Timing it this way feels pretty natural when you have to soak some big hit every 15 seconds or so with a bit of a downtime right before it.
    Last edited by mmoc9bf1303bee; 2017-03-16 at 01:30 AM.

Thanks so much for all the responses, they helped a lot!!!

To add to what other people have said, you'll do yourself a favor if you have a WeakAura that can help you track both your Vengeance weave and whether or not you have sufficient Rage for maximum benefit. I made this WA some time back and have found it tremendously useful, as have many other friends I've shared it with: https://wago.io/EJgvKDbjM

The Rage bar dynamically changes color based on current Rage:
    -Green indicates minimum threshold to cast Ignore Pain
    -Yellow indicates maximum IP with Vengeance: IP
    -Red indicates you're approaching Rage cap (consider burning some)

The swipes on either side of the bar help you track Vengeance:
    -Red swipes indicate you should cast Revenge next
    -Green swipes indicate you should cast IP next (cast when bar is yellow/red for maximum benefit)

As always, ALWAYS use Ignore Pain regardless of current Rage/Vengeance status if it will save your life.
    Last edited by Arker42; 2017-03-17 at 08:58 PM.