Well fuck. This starts well. Only fix in Reddit I can find is to uninstall Corsair Utility Engine.... but I have never owned any Corsair products.

15+ Year Old Account
    At one point I ran a group of Kett over in the Nomad and Ryder shouted out triumphantly: “Speedbump!”
    I can almost like a game just for that.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    It's still 60 bucks to roll the dice for the off-chance the negative reviews to be wrong though.
    No, it isn't. It 5 bucks with origin. Hell even if you hate EA and hate Origin, just download it, pay 5 bucks, get the free trial, play for 10 hours and decide for yourself!

5 bucks is how much I spend on coffee every other morning. I can go without a coffee to make my own decision.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Well fuck. This starts well. Only fix in Reddit I can find is to uninstall Corsair Utility Engine.... but I have never owned any Corsair products.
    Basic things to check...
    - Try running Origin as admin.
    - Try adding the Andromeda installation folder to your antivirus exceptions.
    - Make sure the game isn't blocked by your firewall.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    No, it isn't. It 5 bucks with origin. Hell even if you hate EA and hate Origin, just download it, pay 5 bucks, get the free trial, play for 10 hours and decide for yourself!

5 bucks is how much I spend on coffee every other morning. I can go without a coffee to make my own decision.
    And to add to this, if you dont even want to roll the dice, dont pre-order.. just.. wait for review on the full game that will come in the next week or 2. Its not like the game will go anywhere if you dont pre-order.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoewy View Post
    And to add to this, if you dont even want to roll the dice, dont pre-order.. just.. wait for review on the full game that will come in the next week or 2. Its not like the game will go anywhere if you dont pre-order.
    Heck, you can watch a stream or video of the game, people have already streamed the 10 hour early access part of the game. Sure, you won't really know what it controls like, but you can still see/hear the rest and base your opinion on that instead of a plain text review.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Basic things to check...
    - Try running Origin as admin.
    - Try adding the Andromeda installation folder to your antivirus exceptions.
    - Make sure the game isn't blocked by your firewall.
    Nothing. Still black window.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is also this thing that some of us want to discuss the game here, not see walls of people bitching about the game they haven't even gotten a chance to play.
    Basically. I have no problem with constructive critique. I have no problem with people pointing out flaws and other problems they feel are present with the game. What I have no interest in sifting through is what I shall dub "anti-fanboyism". Rabid assaults on the developers, claims that the game is inferior to games from 2004 or whatever. It's just not productive. Hell I'd even accet the older game comparisons if someone actually produced an in-game screenshot to compare the two!

Like, the complaints about the characters feeling stiff during conversations. I mean I think in ME1 they wiggled around FAR too much, and in ME2 I swear Shep was cross-eyed like, 90% of the time but by ME3 they got it pretty straightened out. A new engine will be part of it, they'll have to re-learn a lot of the tricks they figured out from the previous games. New models are always "fun" to get a handle on how their weighting and skeletons behave. Though honestly if its the same engine as DA:I, I'd think it'd be more "lessons learned". But I actually don't enjoy DA:I very much so I'd have to go back and compare (I'm actually going to do this just to see what we've lost/gained).

It's why I am extremely leery about watching videos or reading reviews online. I love a lot of games that people hate. I hate some games people love. If there's a video that's pretty neutral about "here's how the features work" I'm down for that, because that's what I will make my own opinion on. I don't need someone else's opinion to tell me how I should think.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I couldn't care less what it looks like to random people from the Internet. I'm interested in discussing builds, planets, crafting, multiplayer, races.
    Indeed, so lets do just that. This is gonna be one big spoiler though......

So apparently the entire Andromeda Initiative has gone to shit before it even began.

1: Ark Hyperion arrived late due to unforeseen problems that haven't been elaborated yet as far as the 2 hours I saw.

2: There's an inky/solid massive substance that has been nicknamed "The Scourge" infecting almost every planet in Andromeda. All the 7 Golden Worlds have been rendered either uninhabitable, or nearly uninhabitable because of it.

3: The other arks are MIA. Nobody knows where they are.

4: The nexus was the only ship that arrived in Andromeda at its designated time, 14 months prior to Ark Hyperion. Despite this, construction on the second half of the nexus has gone at a snail's pace because of the following problems.......

5: The Nexus hit a massive wall of Scourge almost immediately upon arrival, but unlike Hyperion, they were still with most of the crew hibernating, an thus couldn't evade it, large sections of the Nexus got damaged, resulting in a loss of almost 10% of its population. Among these losses was the entire leadership of the nexus and the Andromeda Initiative itself, including the founder, Jien Garson.

6: Adding to this, the highest authority is a spineless salarian who has an inflated ego, but lacks the drive to actually do anything. He's basically a salarian Udina, resulting in very little shit actually being done. His leadership (or lack thereof) has resulted in virtually zero progress on colonization in the 14 months the nexus has been in Andromeda prior to Hyperion.

7: Further adding to these problems, the lack of habitable worlds to colonize led to a shortage of supplies, which resulted in the inability to wake up additional crew to help with the work needed to be done.

8: This lack of resources also led to food rationing, which eventually escalated to rioting, and eventually a coup attempt, resulting in a large chunk of the already small population already awake being exiled from the Nexus. These people resorted to piracy and thievery to survive, no doubt straining diplomatic relations with the rest of the galaxy.

9: The one world the nexus tried to colonize has been sabotaged by the Kett. Which BTW, that's not their official name, that's just a nickname someone put on them, because they have so far refused to speak, or engage in any form of communication with anyone, they just shoot on sight whoever crosses their path. Kett is apparently a turian word that means "no more".

10: The Nexus can't even activate most of its systems because it requires the four arks to hook up with it, as they act as literal power generators, with all the arks missing, and their pathfinders, they can't activate the power reserves, can't wake up the extra crew, can't find new worlds to settle, etc.

Man, the Andromeda Initiative has gone FUBAR before the game even starts

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So far so good. The only reason I'm stopping playing is because it's past 3 am and I have to go to work later in the morning.

1440p@60 on 980ti, smooth
    Settings on auto - ultra/high

Looks beautiful, if you ignore the traditional Bioware animations, which I am used to by now. No worse than DAI.

Character creator is quite limited.

Controls are not clunky as some reviewers claimed, they are quite nice (kb/mouse)

Combat is very fast paced, but recklessness is punished. I'm playing biotic + assualt rifle.

Exploration is rewarded and assisted - you locate question marks on your radar as you come close, if you come closer you identify the place (e.g. a cave) and get an optional quest to investigate. I found it fun.

Story is good so far. Dialogues are fine.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Nothing. Still black window.
    Q:I'm getting a black screen on start-up, or the game is only running as a background process
    A:Check to see if you have the Corsair Utility Engine installed on your system. If you do, try uninstalling it and then relaunching the game. or Try switching to windowed or borderless windowed mode.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/mass-...roubleshooting

Try switching to windowed or borderless windowed mode.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/mass-...roubleshooting

Try switching to windowed or borderless windowed mode.
    The game opens up in Windowed mode. No switching into it gonna happen here.

Your resident news fiend here with the latest Mass Effect preview roundup.

So far:
    - gamespot don't like it. http://www.gamespot.com/videos/mass-.../2300-6437694/ discussion starts 44:00 in
    - giantbomb don't like it http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/gian...le/2300-11926/ discussion starts 1:03:24
    - pc gamer don't like it. http://www.pcgamer .com/we-have-mixe...fect-andromeda
    - rock paper shotgun don't like it https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...opening-hours/

giantbomb "the run animation makes me want to tear my hands off"

10+ Year Old Account
    I found out Cora's secret:

She is actually Vince McMahon in drag...

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

Ahh bioware never change XD

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post

*snips*
    Not going to lie, I'm not going to forever view her as Vince McMahon and it will make the game SO MUCH BETTER FOR IT.

Anyone got any sources for how long it takes to start getting squadmates other than Liam and Cora? I know in Inquisition you filled almost your entire party pretty quickly, only Cole and Dorian took any real game progression to get. I hope Andromeda is similar to Inquisition in that regard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    Anyone got any sources for how long it takes to start getting squadmates other than Liam and Cora? I know in Inquisition you filled almost your entire party pretty quickly, only Cole and Dorian took any real game progression to get. I hope Andromeda is similar to Inquisition in that regard.
    You get Vetra on the Nexus, and I know that you at least meet Drack and Peebee on Eos (the first planet after the Nexus), but I don't know if you recruit them there, I haven't seen any streams go that far, I just saw them being met. Its a pretty safe assumption though.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    You get the Turian chick when you get access to Tempest, so after one intro mission. Peebee hangs out on the first planet you land on after that. Dunno about Drak and Jaal.

@ Derah, ok that premise overview actualy made me more intrigued.

@ Bad reviews. they are mixed. MIXED. even within the same article they are mixed. they are not all bad, its like people are scouring text for the most negative reaction to some aspect and then ascribing that negative reaction to EVERYTHING else.

maker knows I was on the fence over this game for a while. I'm still on a fence. to the point of seriously considering paying extra $5 just to try it for myself. but at the same time like 80% o the stuff that makes people moan "THIS IS AWFUL" is the stuff I either don't care about, or something that I actualy.. prefer. I'm almost feeling Horizon Zero Dawn dejavu here where all the pre-release moaning actualy made me feel better about the game and preordering it.