Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Whether or not it's true, it's the opposite of the wage gap not existing.
    That didn't answer my question. Sad faces for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    That didn't answer my question. Sad faces for you.
    In answer to your actual question, you'd need to prove that the ENTIRE wage gap is explained by those factors. Not just some of it.

Also you could debate the extent to which some of these things are really choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

In answer to your actual question, you'd need to prove that the ENTIRE wage gap is explained by those factors. Not just some of it.

Also you could debate the extent to which some of these things are really choices.
    Amazingly, that still doesn't answer my question. More sad faces for you.

But...I did say "largely exists," meaning that the bulk of it exists because...

Additionally, could you clarify how:

Selecting a career
    Deciding not to relocate for a career
    Deciding not to negotiate aggressively for a pay raise/promotion
    Deciding to have children
    Deciding not to work extra hours
    Deciding not to take traditionally dangerous jobs

...aren't all solely based on what an individual woman decides? Influenced by her environment and life situation, sure. But we can argue that for men, as well.

I'm not actually expecting you to answer the question, so...if you can't or won't, save yourself some time and just...don't quote me and reply?

Deleted
    Can you guys seriously just get it straight in your heads that "the wage gap isn't real" is a very different statement to "the wage gap has the following explanations"?
    Because they don't mean that there is a statistical difference, they mean 'Patriarchy!'.
    It's like if a racists says that black people commit more crimes.
    Yes, that's true, but that's not what the racist means, which is why it's specious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    OP had a good subject, but fucked it up with political bias.

Stop calling feminism "leftist"
    Given that it essentially is marxism with gender taking the place of class, No.

Not sure how they aren't choices. What cracks me up is this wage gap delusion never really ever proves discrimination, it just supposed upon the data that discrimination is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    Welcome to the tolerant left and their followers. Where if you disagree or quote from something they don't consider valid, you are a racist, sexist, women hating animal.

To be fair, the far right has people who behave the same way. So it's not just a FAR Left issue. It's an issue with teaching young people critical thinking skills.
    The major difference being that academia (at least humanities and social sciences) is full of these left extremists and almost devoid of even moderate right people
    Last edited by Fojos; 2017-03-16 at 12:00 PM.

Whenever I'm around someone who bring sup the wage gap, I come to the conclusion that he or she is an ignorant fool, one who is likely beyond redemption via statistical evidence. There is enough research on the issue to show that the wage gap is largely imaginary. It's not the patriarchy holding women down, but their choice of college degrees and profession doing it for them. They are also more likely to stay home with children, or quite their careers in order to raise them. Once again, that is not the patriarchy, they are choosing to do it.

Can you guys seriously just get it straight in your heads that "the wage gap isn't real" is a very different statement to "the wage gap has the following explanations"?

Seriously, you're contradicting yourselves.

*weasel words*
    Nope. The wage gap isn't real is clearly referring to the claim that women earn 77 cents per dollar for the same work when it's obviously false (and in this sense the wage gap does not exist). In this the wage gap statement is a lie. You know just as well that feminists don't use the wage gap argument in any nuanced way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    The major difference being that academia (at least humanities and social sciences) is full of these left extremists and almost devoid of even moderate right people
    One would say that is because those moderates are earning business degrees and working towards STEM degrees to advance our civilization.

Jesus, could this thread smell any more of stale jockstraps?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    It would be if it's about equality. It's however about advantaging one gender over the other, so in that regards it's more akin to nationalism and thus right-wing.
    yes, yes, how could i forget, communism produces equality...

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The problem with that is that "feminist sources" just literally means "sources that aren't biased against women". Which is a pretty obvious recommendation. And yes; cherry-picking sources to support an incorrect conclusion is not good work, and the professor should be providing advice like that.

You want me to believe that by "feminist sources", she means "sources that are wildly biased in favor of women", and that's your bias peeking through, because that's literally not what the word means.
    You're not even making sense here.

How exactly are valid statistics "bias" against women?

It would be one thing for the professor to ask about the sampling error of a stat, or if antecendent variables are being explained, its another for the professor to tell her she "has" to use or include "feminist" sources, especially if they arent backed by actual figures and valid non bias data.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    yes, yes, how could i forget, communism produces equality...
    It does, it makes sure even is equally miserable and mediocre.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Wouldn't the burden of proof be on you to prove that the wage gap is caused by sexism?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    I'm sort of intrigued that somehow the Media, and the Education system all follows a leftist agenda.

What I mean by that is, Our current government claims that all news sources are pushing the Leftist agenda. And when the topic is about schools, they are all leftists as well.

Am I to believe there is no right wing media anymore? And no schools who have right sided views?

Seems like hyperbole to me.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I'm sort of intrigued that somehow the Media, and the Education system all follows a leftist agenda.

What I mean by that is, Our current government claims that all news sources are pushing the Leftist agenda. And when the topic is about schools, they are all leftists as well.

Am I to believe there is no right wing media anymore? And no schools who have right sided views?

Seems like hyperbole to me.
    Cant speak for everyone, but from my experience the hard sciences are full of conservatives as are certain social sciences like economics and finance.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Wouldn't the burden of proof be on you to prove that the wage gap is caused by sexism?
    Yes, it actually would, at least if we're talking about it holding up to any sort of scientific scrutiny and standard. It's astonishing really, that some seem to believe that a difference of a small percentage, that hasn't yet been explained by any other means, is the same thing as an automatic confirmation of sexism. That is simply not how it works in science - it certainly very well could be that the difference is due to sexism, but it's far from a necessity unless all other options (and that doesn't merely include whatever the scientists could come up with) have been excluded. If that hasn't been achieved, it's still an unverified hypothesis. But, the people proclaiming that meeting such a burden of evidence isn't necessary are highlighting a very real issue indeed; their way of thinking is often mirrored at gender studies-faculties (among others), at least around here, and is a major source for why it is considered somewhat of a 'joke-science' among more scientifically rigorous departments. Ignoring any form of null hypothesis usually leads to very bad science indeed, simply put.
    Last edited by Sama-81; 2017-03-16 at 04:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    College professor pushes liberal feminist propaganda on students. Encourages students to practice academic dishonesty.
    On the surface "wage equality" sounds like a great idea. Equality in general (which is what feminism USED TO MEAN) is a fantastic and worthwhile goal. But we all know that isn't what feminism has become. Feminism is about superiority and man hating. Despite having very liberal roots and agendas, it has become its own fascist regime. Similar to the rise of the Nazi party. Instead of the master race, it has been replaced with the master sex. Instead of encouraging people to educate themselves and read a wide variety of subjects lets limit their consumption only to feminist authors. Not nearly as far as book burning... but the end result is the same... 1 message... 1 "truth".

But then you have to stop and think... look around... observe. If you work in a union of any kind... you can bet your ass there isn't a wage gap. If you work in any service industry there isn't a wage gap. So when you look to your peers and can see that any sort of propaganda about the "wage gap" is demonstrably false... why do so many people buy into it. Well the truth is the wage gap DOES exist... just not anywhere close to the majority of the population. In the top 1% of incomes in the United States... we begin to see a wage gap. In high level managers, corporate executives, etc. Why do liberal feminists care so much about the wage gap then? A few years ago, we were talking about taking some of that 1% and giving it to the 99% (more or less) NOW... in 2016-2017 we are advocating FOR the 1% to have equality in their earnings? L O L

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Welcome to the regressive left.
    Where our feels get through the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    On the surface "wage equality" sounds like a great idea. Equality in general (which is what feminism USED TO MEAN) is a fantastic and worthwhile goal. But we all know that isn't what feminism has become. Feminism is about superiority and man hating.
    It is, and it isn't. It depends where you look. If you look at people who only want to talk about it, and not do anything about it "Facebook activists" then yeah. But if you look to actual national conferences, you see the real feminism.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    It is, and it isn't. It depends where you look. If you look at people who only want to talk about it, and not do anything about it "Facebook activists" then yeah. But if you look to actual national conferences, you see the real feminism.
    I don't know at this point I feel like its a lost cause... not feminism itself, but rather maintaining the original meaning of feminism.

There is this need to redefine/reclaim what it truly means to be a feminist. You wouldn't have to do that unless its meaning had changed.

It has become a dirty word, synonymous with venomous hatred, double standards, and hypocrisy. Its like equality was in sight... and rather than slow down... ya'll missed the exit, now its gone further down the other side of the spectrum.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2017-03-16 at 07:05 PM.