Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    There are plenty of factors that would make living in post-apo world a nightmare that are not reflected in the game. Modern humans are not fit to live in a world like that, there is no healthcare and doctors are scarce, infections and diseases would be spreading quickly, a simple flu would be life threatening.

Denutrition would be a problem, lack of food, water, vitamins. Pests and rodents everywhere, no access to fresh water, keeping hygiene extremely hard. Gangs, thugs, wild animals, cold, heat, parasites.

Modern lifestyle can be stressful, but its really nothing in comparison. Not to mention you can greatly reduce the stress you have to deal with in your real life by adjusting your attitude, life goals and choices.
    Last edited by melzas; 2017-03-16 at 08:37 AM.

Deleted
    See if they're stressed in war torn and poverty stricken parts of Africa, it's basically the same but without the radiation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    One of the reasons I love Fallout, particularly in regards to the older installments, is it demonstrates a pretty acceptable depiction of how people would live following a nuclear apocalypse.

The way the remaining inhabitants of the planet relegate back to a simpler lifestyle seems stressless compared to what you have to put up with now.
    The Fallout games are way too romanticizing the aspect of post-war life. If you want to see a more realistic version of what to expect just watch the movie 'Threads'.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    Humans can adapt like no other living species on this planet.

No idea why you find life stressful now, but I can imagine that having to scavenge for food every day could cause some.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    In Fallout, you don't have to worry about making sure you get the right nutritional balance to avoid things like scurvy, food poisoning from improperly cooked or otherwise tainted meals, or drinking unclean water and having dysentery make you literally shit yourself to death. And you don't have to worry about a dirty wound going gangrenous and rotting off because you lack the ability to keep it sterile.

Seriously. Immediate access to clean water alone is such a massive benefit to society that most people take for granted unless they lose it for a while. Gabriel is right in that we're currently pretty poorly adapted to modern life, which causes it's own sets of serious stressers, but global societal collapse would be much much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    One of the reasons I love Fallout, particularly in regards to the older installments, is it demonstrates a pretty acceptable depiction of how people would live following a nuclear apocalypse.

The way the remaining inhabitants of the planet relegate back to a simpler lifestyle seems stressless compared to what you have to put up with now.
    There are plenty of bad places on earth where you can go fulfill this dream of yours. Try some warlord infested African countries for starters. Tell us how it goes if you somehow manage to make it out alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    The Fallout games are way too romanticizing the aspect of post-war life. If you want to see a more realistic version of what to expect just watch the movie 'Threads'.
    thanks for that tip! gonna watch that too , it looks very interesting

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    far less stressful but also far more difficult and dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

7+ Year Old Account
    Depends.

If you're like in a Vault or some other decent shelter I imagine it could be fun.

I see Betteridge's Law applies to thread titles as well as headlines.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I don't like the fallout comparisons. The world of fallout has such drastic historical and fictional differences. You won't get mini nukes or laser rifles in a real post apocalyptic world.
    but you will get roving gangs of raiders that'd just shoot you without a second thought and leave your corpse to rot.

some people would try to band together, others would try to kill and take what they want/need. it'd be so much more stressful. every night you'd lay down not knowing if someone was going to blow your head off or, if you're a woman, capture and keep you as a rape slave.

not to mention, nuclear wasteland. NUCLEAR. people can't even live in fucking chernobyl for extended periods without getting some kind of health problem. you probably wouldn't even live long enough to get shot by raiders. every single piece of food you eat or ounce of water you drink, you'd have to be taking a risk if its going to kill you or make you insanely sick.

no, it'd be more stressful, and you wouldn't survive. the only people that'd survive are people that have trained for survival, and i doubt you have. even they would have troubles.

10+ Year Old Account
    It actually might. The stress we endure day-to-day is artificial, and survival instinct is hard-coded into our DNA. Surviving isn't stressful, its natural. Hunting for food, building shelter, and defending against attacks should be very low stress considering how difficult and important the tasks are. The more our societal structure breaks down, the more primitive our world, the less we rely on our brain.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    people can't even live in fucking chernobyl for extended periods without getting some kind of health problem.
    If you mean on the grounds of the nuclear plant itself, then yes, but if you mean the exclusion zone around it, this is just wrong.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I wasn't aware that life was "stressful".

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    By interesting, you mean depressing, terrifying, and horrific. I genuinely felt uneasy after watching it. It is a great film though in dispelling a lot of the horseshit people think about nuclear armageddon.
    Aye i think so, the description i read paints it as very realistic but I don't have a clue what to expect
    but i do enjoy watching good documentaries or films even if all those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    I wasn't aware that life was "stressful".
    That only means you should be ashamed of your privilege.

/s

I'm not stressed out, maybe because I am not born into the entitled generation.

Most nukes are airbursts which don't cause a lot of long term radiation after the initial burst.

Also what happens to South American drug lords is what would happen here, the common people rise up, farmers, mechanics, teachers, accountants, and slaughter the drug lord's army and the drug lord. Turns out normies are like thousand times more effective in war than petty thieves, drug dealers and thugs.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

A life in a post apocalyptic nuclear wasteland will likely be a short cruel one.
    Basic needs need to be met, and food, especially water, will likely be contaminated. And without clean drinking water...well, you're dead in a few days. And any spot that does have clean water will likely be fiercely protected. And "you" won't be welcome since resources will always be considered limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    If you mean on the grounds of the nuclear plant itself, then yes, but if you mean the exclusion zone around it, this is just wrong.
    every documentary i see on it, the documentarians say they're told they can't stay in the area long.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Most nukes are airbursts which don't cause a lot of long term radiation after the initial burst.

Also what happens to South American drug lords is what would happen here, the common people rise up, farmers, mechanics, teachers, accountants, and slaughter the drug lord's army and the drug lord. Turns out normies are like thousand times more effective in war than petty thieves, drug dealers and thugs.
    in which south american country has this happened? fucking columbia is basically ruled by the drug lords, venezuela and brazil aren't much better.