Thread: I miss cata...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    I often say WoTLK is where Blizz shot themselves in the foot.
    But Cata is where Blizz started to line their coffin.

Turns out the LFG system we loved from WoTLK was a disaster when it came to new content. We also wanted harder dungeons, which we got, but Wrath Baby Syndrome + LFG = Disaster for pugs. The first tier was apparently too hard for most players, though I didn't have a problem pugging it. But the 10 and 25 man sharing a lockout was initially a disaster. It also cut the content in half. While i hated running the same raid twice in WoTLK preferring something aking to ZA or ZG on the side of main raids, it was still something to do.

The initial content was also devoured rather quickly since Blizz probably spent so many resources doing the world over, which most people hate anyway. Blizz couldn't keep up and gave us a rehashed ZA and ZG, where the loot pretty much made the raids not worth running so we were stuck running the same Heroics 2 over and over.

The Firelands patch was good. Molten Front, and the raid in terms of boss design was some of the best I've seen up to that point. But it was a very short raid and people got the itch very quick. The Abysal Maw Raid was cancelled, which was supposed to go along with that tier.

Then Dragon Soul....this is where Blizzard lost their fucking shit! Despite seeing how disastrous LFG is was in the long run, they decide to exacerbate the problem with LFR. Still probably thee worst thing to happen to this game. Back then LFR was completely mandatory, and you were forced to deal with that asinine mess. Also killing Deathwing in LFR as your first kill on him was so underwhelmin, with all the lead up to him you could just auto attack im to death. Where as in Firelands I managed to kill Ragnaros in a pug and it felt great!

At least you could see the effort put into Cata though, with poor decisions and resources going to the wrong place. WoD it's like they stopped caring.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    I often say WoTLK is where Blizz shot themselves in the foot.
    But Cata is where Blizz started to line their coffin.

Turns out the LFG system we loved from WoTLK was a disaster when it came to new content.
    The only thing worse than LFG is not having LFG.

Other MMOs that have tried to go without LFG since then have quickly added it. It's not optional.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The only thing worse than LFG is not having LFG.

Other MMOs that have tried to go without LFG since then have quickly added it. It's not optional.
    Guild Wars 2 doesn't have LFG the way it is in WoW. It's a list you search for people that can either join or be invited by others. There's no automatic system and teleportation inbetween, and there's some interactions going on.

IB4 "every other MMO in the history except WoW has failed because my flawed thinking says so."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Guild Wars 2 doesn't have LFG the way it is in WoW. It's a list you search for people that can either join or be invited by others. There's no automatic system and teleportation inbetween, and there's some interactions going on.

IB4 "every other MMO in the history except WoW has failed because my flawed thinking says so."
    The kind of lfg we have for mythic + I think is where.lfg in wow will move towards. The lfg system in lfr and heroic 5 men lfg is just hell on earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziska View Post
    I know it won't help at all. And I also know that it's something i'll never get back.

I just miss cataclysm SO MUCH. I miss questing in Vashj'ir or hunting for Poseidon. I miss my tier 12 ret paladin. I miss my fire mage. I miss Firelands and the epic loot + the epic legendary mage quest. I even miss Dragon Soul a tiny bit.

I've been playing since 2006, all the way through vanilla, tbc, wotlk and cata. And cataclysm is all i'm thinking about lately.

Am I the alone one for having this feeling?

Is this normal behaviour? Should I seek out a therapist?

How do you feel about cataclysm?
    I could not agree more. I absolutely LOVED Cataclysm. The zones, Uldum, Deepholm, Vashjir etc were amazing and so was the dungeons and raids. The music, the quests, Rated Battlegrounds, Tol Barad. Even the revamp of the old continents was good. It kinda destroyed the magic of the world but it made questing 100% better.

Maybe I'm just nostalgic but Cataclysm WAS the best expansion by far and I can't think of ONE thing that was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post

I am not familiar with GW2, but my impression is it's a bit further away from WoW in design space than some of the other MMOs. Games like Rift, SWTOR, etc. found LFG-like systems to not be optional. WoW added LFG because content usage was too low without it.

BTW, it's a silly hardcore notion that the act of adding LFG somehow changed players and that everything would have been different had it not been added.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Oh god yeah, flying in the start of the expansion must've been one of the worst decisions they ever made. So fucking stupid it's unreal.

One day we'll be rid of flying in current content, and that day is near.
    Flying in the start was the BEST decision they ever made. No flying is one of the big reasons why I hate Legion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    I could not agree more. I absolutely LOVED Cataclysm. The zones, Uldum, Deepholm, Vashjir etc were amazing and so was the dungeons and raids. The music, the quests, Rated Battlegrounds, Tol Barad. Even the revamp of the old continents was good. It kinda destroyed the magic of the world but it made questing 100% better.

Maybe I'm just nostalgic but Cataclysm WAS the best expansion by far and I can't think of ONE thing that was bad.
    Uldum...
    Uldum was amazing....
    What, the Nazi dwarves bit or the 35 quests long Harrison Jones bit?

I still maintain my favorite zone was Vashj'ir. I fucking love underwater zones. Close second for Cata would be Uldum and 3rd Deepholm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I still maintain my favorite zone was Vashj'ir. I fucking love underwater zones. Close second for Cata would be Uldum and 3rd Deepholm.
    When I first found out those gates in the deep south of old Tanaris, guarded by elites, as a rogue, I was buzzing. The idea of a mysterious world hiding behind, tied to god know what past and god know what secrets got me going all the time.

Then uldum came up. And I swear to jesus almighty I cried inside. I done all of uldum, crying inside.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I hope they will continue more naga zones if they do some Nazjatar expansion. They could easily add something like "underwater mounts move at 400% speed" or whatever, to match the seahorse.

There's been multiple underwater mounts added in Legion alone. But then there's always gonna be new players who don't have any.

Flying in the start was the BEST decision they ever made. No flying is one of the big reasons why I hate Legion.
    There's a reason they only did it once. It'll never happen again.

I liked early Cata, went south quickly from there after the massive watering down started.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJrogue View Post
    Uldum...
    Uldum was amazing....
    What, the Nazi dwarves bit or the 35 quests long Harrison Jones bit?
    The whole Egypt inspired theme was amazing and the quests were really funny. A desert zone with authentic environment and 3 dungeons can't go wrong.

Deleted
    The whole Egypt inspired theme was amazing and the quests were really funny. A desert zone with authentic environment and 3 dungeons can't go wrong.
    I'd rather lick piss off nettles

Early Cata was fun but it lost its charm quickly and became the worst expansion up until WoD. I think that Cata only gets any nostalgia from me because the end of WoTLK and early Cata was when I was the most invested in the game. Sadly the game took a turn for the worse and hasn't lived up to that level in my mind since.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When did you start playing OP? It's probably the nostalgia kicking in. I would guess that cata was when you either got serious with WoW or you had a good group of friends you were playing with.

Just enjoy the memories and look to build new ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Demithio View Post
    I liked early Cata, went south quickly from there after the massive watering down started.
    Yea, cata had potential and then Abyssal Maw or w/e got cut and it all went downhill from there. (And then we got Dragon Soul )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TJrogue View Post
    Cataclysm destroyed some zones forever, added linear questing and butchered Uldum. Cataclysm in my opinion has done irreparable immense damage to wow.
    The mystery of Uldum was much better than the reality.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    When did you start playing OP? It's probably the nostalgia kicking in. I would guess that cata was when you either got serious with WoW or you had a good group of friends you were playing with.

Just enjoy the memories and look to build new ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, cata had potential and then Abyssal Maw or w/e got cut and it all went downhill from there. (And then we got Dragon Soul )

- - - Updated - - -

The mystery of Uldum was much better than the reality.
    100%

And the more I kept going and the more they kept going. Then the goblin with the German accent, then yet again the 83rd Harrison reference.... please....
    Please...

No more....
    No....
    More....

My lamenting cries of despair were left unheard however. And mop became a reality. I left wow then. A changed man. A scarred man.