New PC to make use of new monitor

I built my last computer a number of years ago, and I just recently upgraded monitors. However, it doesn't seem as though my computer can handle running WoW at 3840 x 2160 too smoothly, so I figured it was time for an upgrade.

I have ran a parts list through PC Part Picker and I'm mostly just wondering if it would meet my needs and/or if there are some significant upgrades for under a couple hundred more.

Budget: Preferably around $2,000 although a couple hundred either way probably isn't a problem.
    Resolution: 3840 x 2160 if possible to get a rig to handle that well enough, I just got an Asus MG28UQ
    Games / Settings Desired: Mostly just WoW, I'd like to handle it on pretty high settings, the absolute max isn't necessary, but I wan't to be on the higher end for the foreseeable future.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): None
    Parts that can be reused: None
    Do you need an OS?: No
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?: Already have my peripherals.

Here is my info from PC Part Picker currently:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.98 @ DirectCanada)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.85 @ Newegg Canada)
    Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($209.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Memory Express)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card ($519.50 @ Vuugo)
    Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($154.99 @ Memory Express)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $1894.26
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-16 12:31 EDT-0400

Let me know if you have any suggestions on where I should modify this,

Thank you.

What is your current computer?

For 4k gaming I would advise a GTX 1080Ti, depending on your current computer that may be enough to get you to playable framerates (as in around 60 fps on most games).

Your resolution is very demanding even for current gen high end cards even if for wow the GTX 1070 might handle it decently othjer games will need a beefier GPU.

Denpepe,

My current computer, I'm fairly set on replacing my current computer, my wife intends on using mine once I get an upgrade, so replacing the GPU on my current one and using that I would rather not do that.

So for a new build to support the resolution you think I'd need a GTX 1080 Ti? Am I likely to have any other bottlenecks? I've heard that WoW is CPU intensive, will the i5 7600k be enough?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBucket View Post
    Denpepe,

My current computer, I'm fairly set on replacing my current computer, my wife intends on using mine once I get an upgrade, so replacing the GPU on my current one and using that I would rather not do that.

So for a new build to support the resolution you think I'd need a GTX 1080 Ti? Am I likely to have any other bottlenecks? I've heard that WoW is CPU intensive, will the i5 7600k be enough?

Thanks
    For just WoW, a 1080ti is overkill. If you plan on playing any other games though, it will be worth it. For just WoW, I think a 1070 should be fine even for 4k.

Your current CPU is enough, so yeah, the 7600k will be too. People say WoW is CPU intensive and that is really only semi-accurate. What WoW cares about is IPC and there have not really been major advancements in IPC for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    For just WoW, a 1080ti is overkill. If you plan on playing any other games though, it will be worth it. For just WoW, I think a 1070 should be fine even for 4k.

Your current CPU is enough, so yeah, the 7600k will be too. People say WoW is CPU intensive and that is really only semi-accurate. What WoW cares about is IPC and there have not really been major advancements in IPC for a while now.
    I really only plan to play WoW. I have dabbled in FFXIV from time-to-time, but am not really too concerned about whether it will handle that or not.

I do tend to stream either youtube or Kodi on my second monitor (a 1920 x 1080) while playing WoW, would that have any effect on whether a 1070 can handle that?

Also, if I wanted to add a couple hundred to add a little longevity to the machine, where would be the appropriate place? Should I bump the processor, or would it be to take a step up on the GPU?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBucket View Post
    I really only plan to play WoW. I have dabbled in FFXIV from time-to-time, but am not really too concerned about whether it will handle that or not.

I do tend to stream either youtube or Kodi on my second monitor (a 1920 x 1080) while playing WoW, would that have any effect on whether a 1070 can handle that?

Also, if I wanted to add a couple hundred to add a little longevity to the machine, where would be the appropriate place? Should I bump the processor, or would it be to take a step up on the GPU?
    Second monitor shouldn't have any effect on it at all. I don't play WoW, but even my little 960 handles FFXIV pretty well, even with something up on the second monitor.

To add longevity, that's a tough one. If it's mainly for WoW, well, nothing. I'd actually spend less for just WoW. If other games are a concern, then the better GPU for sure. Also, more games are starting to utilize more threads. So if you want to play games that are coming out in the next 5 years, either an i7 or Ryzen would not be a bad idea. They won't do anything for WoW though, and I seriously doubt they ever will. The best they'll be able to do is at some point increase graphics options again, which will not really have an effect on the CPU still.

10+ Year Old Account
    I run WoW at ultra 3840x2160 with a 4790k and a 970 - I average around 60 FPS. There are of course dips into 40s but nothing that becomes unplayable. The setup you have linked will run wow at very acceptable frame rates on Ultra. (I don't raid any more so can't tell you about that. You may have to turn things down to get it to run at high frame rates. I simply don't know.)

Since you're pretty clear you only play WoW you could save money on your build. I could make a list if you so desire...

But if, at any point, in your computer's lifetime you decide to pick up a triple "A" title like Witcher 3 or whatever... You're going to regret not having at least a 1080. The suggestion of the 1080 ti is really what you want for 4k gaming (besides WoW.) But I think that might put you over budget.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

I changed the SSD to an EVO which is cheaper and you won't really notice the difference in performance, also changed to a cheaper cooler and added a GTX 1080, butn like i said the 1070 will probably do fine for wow, it might struggle for other games. For CPU/Mobo you could also look into the new AMD Ryzen CPU's.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.98 @ DirectCanada)
    CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($56.07 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($213.34 @ Vuugo)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($154.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($749.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($154.98 @ DirectCanada)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ NCIX)
    Total: $2034.30
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-17 10:48 EDT-0400

Wow is too old to be sure if it's gonna perform well.
    Actually I assembled a PC for a friend, same 7600k, and 1070, on everything maxed out and %200 render scaling @1080p, it dips bellow 60 quite frequently, specially in places like moongaurd something at suramar, or botanist encounter.

The game is playable, but not as smooth as you think it should be.
    Last edited by HumbleDuck; 2017-03-17 at 03:06 PM.

how much does the gpu's demand on the cpu (draw calls or whatever) increase as the resolution goes up?