10+ Year Old Account

Flavour Effect Trinkets/Items. Why not?

So in the recent Q&A Matt Goss said that they didn't want many more items with a flavour effect, like a spike collar doing damage to attacks because it was too hard to compare items.

But why is that a bad thing? Firstly, I think it's interesting if an item has an extra effect like the thorns-esque one above, or like extra 10% run speed for 5s after a kill. I agree that it makes them harder to compare, but why is that a bad thing? Wouldn't a game be more fun if items were less streamlined?

Personally, I would love to see more effects like this. I understand that they may be hard to balance though. So, alternatively, I suggest non-combat bonuses. Like a 20% faster mount cast time, +15% gold from quests, +30% jump height, 20% of your damage is done as poison instead. Things like that which won't effect your dps output (can be disabled in dungeons/BGs) and can be an added bonus for fun.

What are all of your thoughts?

If every item has a special effect, it stops being special.

Your suggestion also causes some problems along the lines of people having a separate set of gear for questing, which isn't all that different from the "fire resist" problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that if every item had that effect it wouldn't be special. But at the moment it is very rare. I can't remember having such an effect so far in Legion, except for legendaries. I'm talking about rarity on the level of probably having one item with such an effect out of all of your slots, excluding trinkets.

As for the "fire resist" problem, wasn't that requiring people to stack certain stats for certain raids/bosses? My suggestion is non-combat bonuses. Things that will NOT help you in a fight, and they would all likely not work in raids, dungeons, or BGs. Things that will not make you stronger but things that will make it funner and more interesting.

I can see why people would develop different gear sets for questing vs dungeons etc if the bonuses I am talking about replaced stats. For example, if you got a 50% mount cast time bonus instead of X% leech, or Y% crit then of course you might develop different sets. But what if these bonuses were added like the tertiary stats/WF/TF? So you get an item that has all of it's stats sorted. Then you might get an added bonus like this on top of/instead of a tertiary stat

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post
    Then you might get an added bonus like this on top of/instead of a tertiary stat
    Another layer of item RNG? No thanks!

Add more glyphs as flavor items.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Another layer of item RNG? No thanks!

Add more glyphs as flavor items.
    The issue with RNG this expansion is that people have to rely on RNG for power increases. These bonuses do not increase player power. And I am also suggesting not another layer, but maybe at the same layer as tertiary stats.

As for glyphs, I totally agree. More glyphs would be awesome. Maybe some cross-class glyphs?

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post
    The issue with RNG this expansion is that people have to rely on RNG for power increases. These bonuses do not increase player power. And I am also suggesting not another layer, but maybe at the same layer as tertiary stats.
    Still adds a factor of stupid to the game.

What if a tertiary stats added some glow to your helm or whatever, and you really like it, only to get a new helm without it, more reason for disapointment.

Also Leech and Speed is always infinitely better then some cosmetic.

Reason why I said glyphs is , it adds choice, you can turn it on and off on demand, and isn't RNG based (unless blizz puts it into a RNG droprate source which would be dumb)

I'd love to be able to change colors of spells via glyphs, those could even work cross-class within lore-limits.

I know 7.2 will add glyphs that change deathgrip and succubus and felguard, so blizz is slowly working on it still.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-03-17 at 03:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Still adds a factor of stupid to the game.

What if a tertiary stats added some glow to your helm or whatever, and you really like it, only to get a new helm without it, more reason for disapointment.

Also Leech and Speed is always infinitely better then some cosmetic.
    True true...

Leech also has some player-power bonus. So, what about if the chance of getting one of these bonuses was like 1-5% no any given item so that it was rare enough to never be an expectation. I think the issue with WF/TF is that they're so common that you kind of expect it/hope for it. But TF +50 ilvl is so rare that you aren't disappointed to not get it. Do you see what I mean? Make the chance low enough that you don't feel disappointed.

And yeah, I would still love to see more flavour glyphs. Especially for bringing back old spell art. That would cost Blizz next to nothing but add a ton of customisation.

Throughput is not flavor...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztikrice View Post
    Throughput is not flavor...
    Yeah I know. I'm not suggesting throughput bonuses. I specifically said nothing that increases player-power.