Page 60 of 93 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    yup that's really missing in botw, the oh i can't get here yet moment i need gloves/hammer/rod/hookshot/cane the list goes on.

in botw all i get is, OH RAIN exploring canceled i can't climb i can't even kill a damn stone talus because i can't climb on him! lets afk until the bloody rain stops.
    I can't say I ever thought it was interesting to have to remember where stupid little things where because I didn't have x item at the time to access it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I can't say I ever thought it was interesting to have to remember where stupid little things where because I didn't have x item at the time to access it.
    It was very interesting. Suddenly you powered up and it truly felt like it because things you couldn't do before became more accessible. That's like the status of what people look for in a video game (at least what MMOs strive for): to have progression that feels organic where you feel like your character is actually stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    It was very interesting. Suddenly you powered up and it truly felt like it because things you couldn't do before became more accessible. That's like the status of what people look for in a video game (at least what MMOs strive for): to have progression that feels organic where you feel like your character is actually stronger.
    What about stamina upgrades/health upgrades/armor upgrades/champion upgrades isn't progression though?

I don't see the point in locking away parts of the map based on something that isn't an actual strength upgrade, especially when things like the hookshot isn't really a strength upgrade anyway.

What about stamina upgrades/health upgrades/armor upgrades/champion upgrades isn't progression though?

I don't see the point in locking away parts of the map based on something that isn't an actual strength upgrade, especially when things like the hookshot isn't really a strength upgrade anyway.
    yeah i agree, especially after 4 or so games onward.

first time you play a zelda? sure, its kind of cool.

by the time i was playing twilight princess though it was just "oh theres a thing there, guess i better remember it whenever i get the hookshot or bombs or whatever because ive been collecting the same items aside from a few unique ones for like 6 games now"

id like to see more zelda items incorporated in a future botw style game. but only as optional items.

let me use the hookshot to traverse but dont make it required, like the korok leaf. i keep a korok leaf on me at all times for when i wanna sail my boats but i dont need a korok leaf, i could also just swim or use cryosis

- - - Updated - - -

also i wanna be able to punch things
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    The biggest problem was that you couldn't have earth-shattering plot changes (and by that I mean you can't have anything even slightly story-like happen ever) since everything needs to always be accessible at all times because 'open world lol.'
    The witcher 3 did it, other games did it too. Open world is still a long shot away from MMORPG static worlds. it's all just a question of how much effort you put into your game.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes it can be, but it's a balancing act and it depends entirely on the reward for doing so. Let me put it that way, I recently finished Tales of Beseria. There was a chest on a cliff I couldn't reach that has taunted me since I left the start area. After 40 hours I finally got the surfboard to get to that chest and what's inside? A basic food item that is even zone appropriate (read: lowbie as fuck and pointless to my high level character). That stuff can go and die in a fire. If backtracking is used sparingly and opens up huge new sub zones, then it can be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The witcher 3 did it, other games did it too. Open world is still a long shot away from MMORPG static worlds. it's all just a question of how much effort you put into your game.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes it can be, but it's a balancing act and it depends entirely on the reward for doing so. Let me put it that way, I recently finished Tales of Beseria. There was a chest on a cliff I couldn't reach that has taunted me since I left the start area. After 40 hours I finally got the surfboard to get to that chest and what's inside? A basic food item that is even zone appropriate (read: lowbie as fuck and pointless to my high level character). That stuff can go and die in a fire. If backtracking is used sparingly and opens up huge new sub zones, then it can be interesting.
    Witcher 3 had a lot of phasing though, or at least parts/ scenes that only activated if you were on the right quest. Could you get to Skelliga before the story took you there? I don't remember, I just did the quests and followed them around. BotW open world feels...static, it doesn't really feel alive, like nothing changes as you progress. You just see the big red lasers from the sacred beasts after you finish the "dungeons."

The Berseria box almost sounds like you should have been able to get there at that point in the game but just couldn't figure out how.....if that's not how it is and they actually expect you to have an item from later in the game to get a useless item, that's just stupid, and things like that can go die in a fire like you said.

What I love about this game is the little adventures.

I restarted my game after not being satisfied with my previous run.
    I made the mistake of unravelling several areas at once. This time, I was going to explore a zone, get a decent number of shrines and find it's secrets. I should have played this way from the start...

Anyway. My three heart link was exploring the western reaches of Faron, where I managed to spot a bunch of horses down below. I was paragliding from one of the peaks of the surrounding hills. I picked up a quest earlier on from a dude wanting me to find a giant horse. I presumed this was the one he was talking about. It was twice the size of the surrounding herd.

I landed near enough and drank a stealth elixir and after separating most of the pack, I made my move. I sneaked up and mounted the black beast. I lacked the stamina to control it at first, but never fear - I had cooked up some stamina buffing mushroom kebabs. I went through three of them before I got the horse under control. A sense of accomplishment followed and I immediately looked at my map for a stable.

The nearest stable was a while away. The other side of the peak in fact. The journey no doubt to be made more difficult by the fact that this horse was a feisty bastard and not appreciating my soothing attempts at all. Luckily, there wasn't a blood moon, but it was still night time and the Stalfos and Electric Keese were making things awkward. Luckily the bowman Stalfos had the accuracy of a dead moblin. Literally.

After winding my way through the canyons on my new prize steed, I bumped into a Lynel. Preparing his volleys of shock arrows, I darted in and about the large stalagmite formations like a mother fucker. I even managed to loose a few arrows his way. Bearing in mind, I have three hearts and my best weapon was a claymore and a soldier bow. I shed a fraction off his health bar and decided to fight another day.

I arrived at the stable with a few baked apples left.
    I registered my steed and named him Ganon. I was given a silver rupee by the guy that offered me the quest.

My best weapon. My horse. I whistle and it tramples everything in it's path. He is the true calamity of Hyrule.

10/10 would ride again.
    Last edited by Tommy T; 2017-03-17 at 10:00 PM.

thats ganondorfs horse
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    thats ganondorfs horse
    Was.

Mine now.

10+ Year Old Account
    The approach for "explore one zone at a time" is exactly what I have done. I'm only 2/4 Divine Beasts, but I have 70+ shrines completed, the Master Sword, Hyrulian Shield, and tons of armor. I just kind of ran in a circle around the map doing everything that I could find within a zone. I'm sure I've missed things... but I tried to 100% every zone as best as possible before moving on.

This has definitely helped my enjoyment. By the time I got somewhat 'bored' of being in the same zone - the next one over was fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    The approach for "explore one zone at a time" is exactly what I have done. I'm only 2/4 Divine Beasts, but I have 70+ shrines completed, the Master Sword, Hyrulian Shield, and tons of armor. I just kind of ran in a circle around the map doing everything that I could find within a zone. I'm sure I've missed things... but I tried to 100% every zone as best as possible before moving on.

This has definitely helped my enjoyment. By the time I got somewhat 'bored' of being in the same zone - the next one over was fresh.
    Ya I'm unlocking each zones tower and then clearing them one by one. Exploring is fun IMO and a nice change to Zelda.

Goal right now is to just reveal the whole map
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ya I'm unlocking each zones tower and then clearing them one by one. Exploring is fun IMO and a nice change to Zelda.

Goal right now is to just reveal the whole map
    Hate to say I told you so.
    But...I told you so.

The game is simply too fun to miss out on, even if you're 'sensitive' to FPS drops.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    Hate to say I told you so.
    But...I told you so.

The game is simply too fun to miss out on, even if you're 'sensitive' to FPS drops.
    Oh I knew I would have fun with it even with the performance issues.

My issues with the game still stand (crappy dock performance and forced Gyro-Control puzzles). Don't have a score yet and it will be a good awhile before I do or beat it. Started a new job yesterday so really had no time to play.

Going to try to play more tonight or tomorrow.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Oh I knew I would have fun with it even with the performance issues.

My issues with the game still stand (crappy dock performance and forced Gyro-Control puzzles). Don't have a score yet and it will be a good awhile before I do or beat it. Started a new job yesterday so really had no time to play.

Going to try to play more tonight or tomorrow.
    just do what i do and bring your switch to work, i play zelda on my breaks and on my lunches

just do what i do and bring your switch to work, i play zelda on my breaks and on my lunches
    Ya I'm good, rather not risk getting my Switch stolen lol.

Ya I'm good, rather not risk getting my Switch stolen lol.
    if you keep it on you at all times no one can steal it

if you keep it on you at all times no one can steal it
    Must be why people get robbed on the street all the time for things on them... rofl...

I'm all for taking a switch on trips or just out casually but taking a Switch to work unless it's actually required for your work sounds like some dumb ass idea. It's not worth the potential break/theft just so you can play on your 20-30 mins of breaks a day. The only way I could see it even being potentially worth it is if you live in an area like NYC and have to take hour train rides to and from work.

Even then, I highly doubt many people want to just be rocking their switch in the NYC subway right now while it's a sought after item.

Thread is really going places. Let us argue over to bring or not bring a switch to work and why it is or isn't a good thing.

Fucking hell gents.. who cares.. if you got a job that you can do that at and it doesn't or does happen it doesn't matter two shits to me. I just know I would rather just play with my feet kicked up while drinking a cold beer or something in the evening either way. But end of the day its personal choice, risk assessment, and not something I in general worry to damn much about how other people decide to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Must be why people get robbed on the street all the time for things on them... rofl...

I'm all for taking a switch on trips or just out casually but taking a Switch to work unless it's actually required for your work sounds like some dumb ass idea. It's not worth the potential break/theft just so you can play on your 20-30 mins of breaks a day. The only way I could see it even being potentially worth it is if you live in an area like NYC and have to take hour train rides to and from work.

Even then, I highly doubt many people want to just be rocking their switch in the NYC subway right now while it's a sought after item.
    Subway? No way, Jose.

Long Island (sorta upscale) Railroad? I used to take my Kindle and played emulator games because I would have like 35 uninterrupted minutes of sitting around to do. Would I bring a switch? Ehhhh I'm a bit of a germophobe so no. And I'm pretty sure no one on this forum wants anyone to ask them about it or, dear God, ask to play. Although at peak times the train is so full most people keep to themselves and are like zombies...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Thread is really going places. Let us argue over to bring or not bring a switch to work and why it is or isn't a good thing.

Fucking hell gents.. who cares.. if you got a job that you can do that at and it doesn't or does happen it doesn't matter two shits to me. I just know I would rather just play with my feet kicked up while drinking a cold beer or something in the evening either way. But end of the day its personal choice, risk assessment, and not something I in general worry to damn much about how other people decide to do it.
    To be on topic I don't think Breath of the Wild is that bad of a game to be taking around. It's not a "experience everything seamlessly" kinda thing. I don't think there's a single time in the game, besides memory scenes, where pausing the game and picking back up actually diminishes the experience.

I could see playing a little bit here and there being exciting. Especially for people who would really get into the game and are constantly thinking about it. It is a binge game.

went to tingle island, tingle wasnt there

0/10 literally unplayable