Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    The poor are always the first to suffer and usually more than everyone else.
    Not every government actions causes poor people to suffer. Most of this stuff has nothing to do with poor people. The fact that our government has bi-partisan support for ignoring the $20 trillion debt with the exception of a couple of senators who get called names by their colleagues, shows me that our government is willing to go belly up out of its desperation to signal that it cares about America's "poor".

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    He is doing those things because he needs to signal that he is trimming government fat off like he promised. The problem is that those things are like 1% of the fat compared to Medicare/Medicaid. I don't think the EPA, Edu department or research or w/e deserve any government funding but that's not the point. Those things are cost effective as far as federal programs go. Medicare/Medicaid and social security are not cost-effective by any stretch of the imagination and I imagine the military isn't either but I'm not an expert on that.The one good thing he is doing is in my view is pushing school vouchers.

This budget is considered DOA according to some senators on both sides of the aisle but I fear the end result is probably going to be just as bad.
    That is the thing, he isn't trimming the fact, he is trimming the meat and using that to create more fat. He is trying to fulfill his promise to increase the military to the idiots who through we needed it and defunding shit he shouldn't be to do it. And he also wouldn't be trimming the fat or balancing the budget with his tax plan which makes things even worse.

And the only reason we even have medicare/medicaid is because we refuse to take the plunge go move to single payer or universal healthcare which would remove them entirely as well as the VA Healthcare system, Tri-care and insurance companies as a whole and the entire overhead that goes with it. Even with the current system, you could cut them with just 1 simple thing without hurting anyones service. Bush Jr actually banned them from negotiating drugs prices with Pharma which has them paying upwards of 40% more than the VA pays for the same drugs. Just repeal that and the cost goes down without taking a loss at all, something Trump promised to help get a control of and backed out now.

And medicare/medicaid is still more cost effective than public insurance already where the insurance companies only spend about 80% of the money they bring in (thanks to the 80/20 ACA mandate), they spend upwards of 94-96% of the money they bring in on it.

And as someone who has looked into it, the military is the worst offender when it comes to running inefficient which I got to see first hand and will actively waste things or pay too much to justify the money they are given for fear that it will get cut.

And the school voucher system, I am not a supporter of it because their overall impacts are pretty well known and long term you are fist fucking the childrens future as you use it to defund public schools lowering their quality in the process and sending it to private schools which are no better overall in quality but much less stable and more expensive for the same quality and their quality is set by them having to compete with the public schools which gets worse over time as it's budget gets cut making them have to work less to compete against it. I have no issues with private school, I have issues with defunding public schools to pay for it.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    Entire election cycle Trump says he will cut the fat on governmental departments and stream line them more proficiently with less spending. Media and the mmo-ot millennials say it can't be done. Trump does it, Media and the mmo-ot millennials complain.

Amount of wasteful spending in Government departments of any country is truly staggering and the general public never know how bad it is. I remember a report that did about a fraction of a news cycle here a few years back showed just how bad it is but nothing gets done about it.
    The amount of wasteful spending in Government programs is staggering not so much in departments. Some like HUD are a swamp in need of draining. Others like State don't deserve a 30% cut to spending when Medicare/Medicaid are titans of wasteful spending in comparison.

Trump has no intention of touching these programs because it would be unpopular from his supporters to do so. He goes after other programs that are nothing in comparison to signal "hey look I tried to cut spending but they wouldn't let me".

The amount of wasteful spending in Government programs is staggering not so much in departments. Some like HUD are a swamp in need of draining. Others like State don't deserve a 30% cut to spending when Medicare/Medicaid are titans of wasteful spending in comparison.

Trump has no intention of touching these programs because it would be unpopular from his supporters to do so. He goes after other programs that are nothing in comparison to signal "hey look I tried to cut spending but they wouldn't let me".
    His healthcare plan cuts medicare by billions from what I have read.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not every government actions causes poor people to suffer. Most of this stuff has nothing to do with poor people. The fact that our government has bi-partisan support for ignoring the $20 trillion debt with the exception of a couple of senators who get called names by their colleagues, shows me that our government is willing to go belly up out of its desperation to signal that it cares about America's "poor".
    This is so fucking stupid on so many levels. Im sorry but it really is completely ignorant. The federal government of.the united states has been in debt for virtually its entire existence. Total public assets held by the US govt 128 trillion. The us government has only run surpluses 7 TIMES in its entire existence. The united states government is the sole issuer of the USD and that currency is not tied to a peg and is free floating on the exchange. IT CANNOT GO BELLY UP (i.e involuntaruly default) UNLESS IT DECIDES TO.

The US has alot of real fucking problems to solve. Obeisty, crumbling infrastructure, poverty, income inequality, polticial corruption, you fucking name it. Those are real problems and theirs more. YOU JACKASSES ARE OBSESSING ABOUT NON PROBLEMS.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2017-03-17 at 05:11 AM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    His healthcare plan cuts medicare by billions from what I have read.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...re_Act_of_2017

I can't find anything about that. It's not going to pass anyway and I doubt whatever replaces it will touch it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    This is so fucking stupid on so many levels. Im sorry but it really is completely ignorant. The federal government of.the united states has been in debt for virtually its entire existence. Total public assets held by the US govt 128 trillion. The us government has only run surpluses 7 TIMES in its entire existence. The united states government is the sole issuer of the USD and that currency is not ties to a peg and is free floating on the exchange. IT CANNOT GO BELLY UP (i.e involuntaruly default) UNLESS IT DECIDES TO.
    The government can't go belly up. That was me being hyperbolic. It can however go into a fiscal crisis.

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/21625?index=11659

These are some risk factors of a higher national debt:

A growing portion of savings would go towards purchases of government debt, rather than investments in productive capital goods such as factories and computers, leading to lower output and incomes than would otherwise occur;

If higher marginal tax rates were used to pay rising interest costs, savings would be reduced and work would be discouraged;
    Rising interest costs would force reductions in government programs;

Restrictions to the ability of policymakers to use fiscal policy to respond to economic challenges; and
    An increased risk of a sudden fiscal crisis, in which investors demand higher interest rates.
    This goes on top of the fact that a lot of the debt is owed to China, sustainability issues and the increasing risk of a credit default in the next few decades.

10+ Year Old Account

I can't find anything about that. It's not going to pass anyway and I doubt whatever replaces it will touch it.

- - - Updated - - -

The government can't go belly up. That was me being hyperbolic. It can however go into a fiscal crisis.

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/21625?index=11659

These are some risk factors of a higher national debt:

This goes on top of the fact that a lot of the debt is owed to China, sustainability issues and the increasing risk of a credit default in the next few decades.
    The chinese can ask for their debt back tmmrw guess what theyll get paid in? Yep. As for credit default.that is.measured in yep you guessed it.

The US is in a singularly unique position and not only do you morons not recognize this you arent exploiting it. The rest of the world is demanding USD. Investor confidence could be lost but the fact is people still buy us bonds like its going out of fucking style. The rest of the world is giving you REAL GOODS AND SERVICES for your fiat and you sit their and lament that your in debt to yourselves or others who are just demanding more of your own fucking USD. Please tell me how bad 20 trillion is when your sitting on 196 trillion in assets...

Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2017-03-17 at 05:29 AM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

I hope not, but overall, the ONLY good thing I saw in that bill was the increased funding to the VA which is sorely underfunded but even that wouldn't be enough to fix them because of how they are setup.

The doctors have to worry about retribution if they help too much with their patients. I know this from first hand and now have permanent nerve damage because of it and am trying to survive off $838 per month while unable to hold a real job. The doctors tell me I will probably never hold down a job again but only one of them had the nerve to put that in writing while the others were afraid of them retaliating against them and looked like I put them on the spot in front of their boss when I so much as asked for them to put their opinion in writing for me and the main reason I think that one doctor helped was because I showed him on the paperwork where they were trying to ignore 8 months of medical records including everything he ever wrote and even the MRI results itself trying to claim I was fine. I am fighting them and even that will take upwards of 8 years total to hit 100% from the help I have now and won't be done till 2020 at a minimum assuming they listen to the doctors this time.

What they need on top of, and even more than, that funding is a complete shake-up of the higher ups to force them to listen to the doctors and the doctors taken completely out of their control so that conflict of interest does not exist as well as force them to have more reasonable disability ratings.

Using their ratings, if you have a spinal injury and can even bend 5 degrees forward, you cap out at 40% disability, to get to unemployability to you have to hit 60%. Now, the next rating increase requires half your spine to be physically locked in place and that still only takes you to 50% where you still don't qualify, and the next increase is straight to 100% but that requires your entire spine to be locked into place at an awkward angle.

Then, lets say you have an injury that causes you loss of your bowls, if you have doctor prescribed diapers and crap your pants uncontrollably at least once every other day, that still only caps you out at 30%.

Then when it comes to combining ratings, they even do that against you. You would think a 40% and a 20% rating would equal 60% but nope, it equals 52% which rounds to 50% and with multiple ratings it requires a total rating of 70% with one of them being at least 40% to get labeled unemployable. For them, if you have 2 ratings, the second rating is not added to it, but it is multiplied against the rating you still have left to go. So a 40% + 20% + 10% ratings from 3 injuries would still only be 56.8% which would round to 60% and you still wouldn't qualify for unemployable which is why we have so many homeless vets. But if you can get labeled with PTSD since they had a huge media blitz, even with no medical evidence, getting diagnosed is a straight 50% out the gate.

His VA thing is the only good his budget had and still basically doesn't do near enough. Even Obama gave the VA a billion and the higher ups blew 500 million of it on office furniture for themselves so they could more comfortably avoid doing their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicer299 View Post
    There are people who live in families who have been on welfare for multiple generations because Democrats ended the work for welfare requirement.
    I wonder what states have the highest percentage of multi-generational dependency anyhow?

Obama got unemployment benefits extended from 6 months to over 2 years, yet never passed a single jobs plan in his 8 years in office.
    You left out the part where jobs plans were put forth and then shot down. I can't imagine how / why that happened.

For all the jobs Obama "created" while in office, over 80% were part time and/or minimum wage jobs. The federal government, either directly or indirectly, should not be funding Meals on Wheels. If anyone wants programs like that, they either need to be privately funded, or funded at the state level. And that does not mean funding them at that state level via federal block grants like they are now. If the people in California want to fund free meals to the seniors in California, than the people in California need to pay for it. And if the people in Idaho don't want to fund free meals for seniors, that's their right.
    As I said earlier, if we're going with states rights, then fed disaster relief can be cut as well, especially for states that opt to not tax income.

As for job creation, you're fighting a losing battle against economic realities of automation. The short answer is to get used to the idea of increased gov't assistance, or pray to god that some new form of head count - intensive growth hits the job market place.

Enjoy the next few decades, I suspect you're going to be very unhappy with how things go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    Entire election cycle Trump says he will cut the fat on governmental departments and stream line them more proficiently with less spending. Media and the mmo-ot millennials say it can't be done. Trump does it, Media and the mmo-ot millennials complain.
    Please take an anatomy class. What he's cutting is not fat.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Please take an anatomy class. What he's cutting is not fat.
    2/10 made me read
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    The chinese can ask for their debt back tmmrw guess what theyll get paid in? Yep. As for credit default.that is.measured in yep you guessed it.

The US is in a singularly unique position and not only do you morons not recognize this you arent exploiting it. The rest of the world is demanding USD. Investor confidence could be lost but the fact is people still buy us bonds like its going out of fucking style. The rest of the world is giving you REAL GOODS AND SERVICES for your fiat and you sit their and lament that your in debt to yourselves or others who are just demanding more of your own fucking USD. Please tell me how bad 20 trillion is when your sitting on 196 trillion in assets...

Because eventually you have to shift more assets to cover the debt if you allow it to balloon even more? Politically it's not in our interests either.

As long as the U.S.dollar which is NOT owned by the U.S. government... The irony... is the reserve currency of the world and the Fed resides in the U.S. IT DOES NOT MATTER if the debt is 20 trillion or 200 trillion.

ALL A MADE UP CONSTRUCT!

As for killing off Government jobs... every government job should be a contract job, There should be no salaried employees. Government is one huge fucking mafia which plays with the mafias from other nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Noblia View Post
    As long as the U.S.dollar which is NOT owned by the U.S. government... The irony... is the reserve currency of the world and the Fed resides in the U.S. IT DOES NOT MATTER if the debt is 20 trillion or 200 trillion.

ALL A MADE UP CONSTRUCT!

As for killing off Government jobs... every government job should be a contract job, There should be no salaried employees. Government is one huge fucking mafia which plays with the mafias from other nations.
    The entire idea of money is a made up construct. Or did you think that wild apes instinctively hoard yellow rocks just because?

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    The entire idea of money is a made up construct. Or did you think that wild apes instinctively hoard yellow rocks just because?
    There is a very very and very important distinction to be made... Those yellow rocks are finite. SO unless we can turn lead into gold anytime soon or mine an asteroid it's all we have. Bitcoin is the same... only a set number and that's all folks.

The money that the fed prints...is literally worthless except for the value given to it by HUMAN MONKEYS!.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Giving someone a job isnt a justification for keeping unnecessary government positions. This looks like a great budget to me. All these agencies have needed slashed for decades, especially when they all blow a unch of leftover money at the end of the year just so they get the same amount the next year.

Ive seen it personally many times. Agencies buy all kinds of unnecessary crap and overspend on necessary things (like $6000 cherry desks instead of a $300 desk from Staples in the last fiscal month just so they dont get a reduced budget the next year
    Lol right? When October 1 is near, they scramble to spend the rest of their budget on whatever seems fit, so they can justify they need that monetary fulfillment the following fiscal year.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    In the end, if states were to do that, it would be a budgetary increase, and mean even more taxation. The main focus of his spending increases was on defense, which the states don't do anything with. That means they would have to make up for the shortcoming sin other areas, while more than $50 billion got wasted at the federal level.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean the wasteful departments like the DoD? Oh wait, they just got $50 billion more to go use on wasteful spending.
    The DoD? Are you even aware of the military cuts that were made under the Obama administration? Soldiers in good standing were denied reenlistment. Yes, the military is getting a bump, back to where it was and should be - probably higher than what it was. But honestly, telling a young NCO, for example, that he / she can no longer serve because the military is downsizing is complete bullshit. Especially when that person counted on the military as a career to support their family. Think about it. That's the Obama administration at work. So go ahead, keep griping about the military funding. Just remember, that under the Obama administration we wound up severely undermanned in combat situations.

US Treasury notes owned by China serve a functional purpose for China that isn't some stupid sword of Damocles. Foreign treasury holdings by central banks have the effect of weakening the currency of the holder versus the dollar. Now, if China is serious in their desire to foster a robust domestic consumption market, they would very much like to dump their T-Bills and let the Yuan appreciate versus the Dollar. But, China's in a bind here. For all of discussion about China's massive population, China behaves very much like its cheapest input is not labor, but capital. To make a long story short, Chinese growth is predicated on access to cheap capital to build factories and infrastructure and ghost cities, to say nothing of the stuff they export. So much so that increasing the value of the yuan would likely cause their banking system to go insolvent due to increasing the value of the Yuan-Dollar trade. The Chinese central bank is likely already insolvent, but it isn't forced to recognize this because the loss in trading between the Yuan and Dollar has not yet been realized.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Who needs public schools, clean water, clean air, health care, public housing, corporation for public broadcasting, fighting infectious disease etc we are getting brand new shiny weapons, tax cuts for the rich and a wall from the dark ages
    And he nails it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Gotta wonder how long it will take to undo the damage of this presidency.
    How long will it take to undo the damage done by an electorate that is aggressively ignorant?

Quote Originally Posted by AceofH View Post
    yes because the VA has been so effective. oh wait. no. as a matter of a fact the VA has been a massive failure.
    I never said the VA wasn't a failure. The VA has been a failure for decades, but the public has only seen the problem, due to the increased influx of patients. A major reason for that, is the shitty economy. Veterans are less likely to have jobs, so they are more likely to seek additional benefits from the government.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOut View Post
    Lol right? When October 1 is near, they scramble to spend the rest of their budget on whatever seems fit, so they can justify they need that monetary fulfillment the following fiscal year.

The DoD? Are you even aware of the military cuts that were made under the Obama administration? Soldiers in good standing were denied reenlistment. Yes, the military is getting a bump, back to where it was and should be - probably higher than what it was. But honestly, telling a young NCO, for example, that he / she can no longer serve because the military is downsizing is complete bullshit. Especially when that person counted on the military as a career to support their family. Think about it. That's the Obama administration at work. So go ahead, keep griping about the military funding. Just remember, that under the Obama administration we wound up severely undermanned in combat situations.
    The DoD budget should be half of what it is. People should not have jobs, just for the sake of having jobs. If the military doesn't need someone, then they shouldn't retain them, just so they can work long enough to get a very lucrative retirement at taxpayer expense. I am going to keep complaining about DoD funding, because I'm a fiscal and small-government conservative. Imagine that...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AceofH View Post
    there has been job growth in the past few years. largely in part time jobs. on the other hand, labor force participation is at an all time low. please explain.
    I don't give a damn about labor force participation rates. People who rely on that number, without taking GDP into account, don't understand how economies actually work. If you have more workers, yet do not increase output, then you are actually harming the economy. The workforce is a supply, and when you increase that supply (LFPR), then you lower the expected earnings or cost for that labor. The more stagnated the wages become, the more people will try to enter the workforce, and the cycle continues. Ideally, we have a lower LFPR, and also have increased productivity.