Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie De Palma View Post
    the Death Knight had a similar stipulation, and they eventually removed that.
    Eventually = 8 years later, when leveling to 55 is 1-2 days max for new people on the game, but reaching 98 is about 2 weeks. Source: Recently invited a friend to play the game and he strugled the most between 70-100, almost 10 days.

1) They're a hero class

2) They have a specific, unique starting experience like Death Knights, rather than a racial starting experience like every other class

3) They're unlocked by having at least one level 70 character on a server, unlike every other class, which don't need requirements to unlock

4) They require Legion to create and play, unlike every other class

5) Their being level 98 is to allow them to have a coherent starting-experience-to-main-plot experience, unlike every other class

6) Having every other class start at 98 would result in no need to level alts ever again, which would screw with professions and economies, and make the 1-100 world far less populated, along with risking farming issues

7) Systems such as heirlooms and PvP brackets/dungeons from 1-100 would be far less used, resulting in longer queue times/wasted resources

jeez, i dont know, maybe because the DH starting experience beings with the siege of Black Temple and then they are imprisoned until the burning legion arrives??? ah, but what am i talking about, common sense doesnt work here

Quote Originally Posted by Louie De Palma View Post
    Title says it all. What's the reason? Because then they wouldn't be selling all those boosts? I get that Demon Hunter is a hero class, but people can create that character directly at level 98, pretty much level 100 after the starting zone is done. This will encourage players to make more Demon Hunters when they're starting on new realms. I know you need a level 70 to create one, but the Death Knight had a similar stipulation, and they eventually removed that. They will do the same thing with the Demon Hunter.

If Blizzard wants us to jump right into the content of the expansion, they should just let us create characters at the same level as the Demon Hunter.
    because Demon Hunters are what is classified as a "hero class" (even though blizz should've said advanced class....) it's designed for players who want to just jump straight in and learn the spec at a faster rate. while i do get the reasoning behind you saying "then why doesn't every other class start there as well" but lore wise it doesn't fit, imagine seeing level 1 DK's in vanilla wow when the LK is sleeping and hadn't activated his armies of death knights, they're all known as evil and want to destroy azeroth but lots of new level 1 DK's running about being nice. it just doesn't fit, same reasoning with the Demon hunters, people would be wary as hell around demon hunters if they'd level from 1 as the lore wouldn't make sense for you to level from 1-98 in the black temple.

Demon hunters are a hero class.
    They start at higher level

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Balefulxd View Post
    Eventually = 8 years later, when leveling to 55 is 1-2 days max for new people on the game, but reaching 98 is about 2 weeks. Source: Recently invited a friend to play the game and he strugled the most between 70-100, almost 10 days.
    Do you enjoy talking out your ass?
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

DH's were a gift to the immediate gratification, ZOMG IM ILLYDAN sort of player that Blizzard wanted to reel back in. The only surprising thing is that they had to level at all in the first place.

/only half kidding

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    DHs and DKs are the exception. Every other class starts out at 1 and you level the normal way. If you're feeling lazy and have money to blow, use a boost. If every class started there then leveling would be trivialised into the ground (Heirlooms and the payable boost is enough, goddamn it!)

I kinda like that they improved upon the gap that DKs had where now with a DH we start leveling and then lorewise we move straight into the action instead of the dk's complete starting area, then do outland's 8-10 levels then go to current expansion content. We move right into the fray and help the world.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Deleted
    They start at 98 because it's congruent to the narrative of Legion. They fucked up with DKs starting at 58 when it should've been 68. Would've made more sense for the story.

Also, like the DK, it's a hero class. One of the perks of being so.

They want you to experience the whole world especially leveling from 1-100.

I didn't know other classes were in stasis since TBC, thanks for enlightening me.

Lore reasons.

I know this might be a foreign concept to you, OP, but there is more content in World of Warcraft than just the content that came with Legion.

Because DH is the hero class of this expansion.

The only reason other classes can't start at higher levels is because Blizzard wants to sell 100 boosts. Any other answer is ridiculous. There would be 0 extra work to let other classes start at 98/100. They already *have* the system with the 100 class trials. That would just become the default starting experience instead of the boost start experience. Also, they obviously have no problem letting people start a character at max level or they wouldn't sell boosts (or would put restrictions on who could use boosts).

Basically the answer to your question OP is, they do let every class start at 100, it just costs $60 to do so. Why would they let us do it for free when people will pay $60 to do it?

I personally wish they would do away with the boosts and just give everyone to option of starting at level 1 or 100 (that way people who want to level still can). That said, I'm part of the problem because I have bought a boost before. My guild was splitting in two due to differences in raid philosophy (one have was okay doing "progression" in Normal, the other thought that idea was ridiculous) and the half I was in needed a healer pronto (it was 2 weeks till NH opened) so I boosted a Shaman.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    I know this might be a foreign concept to you, OP, but there is more content in World of Warcraft than just the content that came with Legion.
    Yes, I forgot how riveting it is to play through The Blasted Lands for the 8th time.

If anything they should improve the 1-100 leveling experience, rather than making the game solely about the end game. But I think the game is to far gone to take this route.

because it's so much better for them to make you waste your time by leveling from the scratch

Leveling through Vanilla is actually a pleasant experience. It's s shame that the zones don't scale to your level better because you always seem to outlevel a zone before you're finished with it.
    This is one of the problems with MMO's in general today. It's all about the race to Max level and raiding (or similar end game content). People have forgotten to enjoy the experience on the way.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    For the same reason that Death Knights start at 55, each expansion has it's own time frame, vanilla obviously being the earliest. In vanilla lorewise there were no Demon Hunters or Death Knights so it would be weird seeing them running around Teldrassil and Eversong Woods killing tigers and owls, they are supposed to be 'Hero' classes that have already earned their stripes so to speak.
    You could argue that monks don't get the same treatment and I cant put into word why I think they don't need it other than to say that monks weren't as central to MoP's story as progress as Dk's and Dh's were/are to their respective expansions.

From a gameplay perspective it is probably, as people have already said, because they are new and shiny for an expansion and people don't want to level through the entire game to get to the new content. That and they were advertised as hero classes so it would not make sense to start them off killing kobolds after having escaped Mardum/Arthas.

They do let you jump in at the same level on another class with the free character boost too.

I think anyone who has a 110 of a class should be able to start a 'hero version' of that same class without having to shell out $60...

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    because some people want to level normally? and DH is a specific class like DK that yes gets a bonus but your limited to just that class?
    imagine how small and pathetic the game would be if literally everyone ever one every toon was 100 with nothing
    and yes there is boost but most people rather level normally

imagine the economy how fucked it would be
    make a 100 do all old raids, delete, make tons of gold, and yes they could set a time after a char made before you could do old raids, but then you would just make 40 chars, wait a week, then do them all, then delete, and repeat
    Or you could get a job and make actual money. Christ.