7+ Year Old Account

Basic Monitor Questions

Hello! Some basic monitor questions:

1. I noticed my gfx card has an hdmi output (old card did not). Can I use an HD tv as a monitor?
    2. Are there any downsides to using an hd tv for monitor? Damage to eyes, poor refresh rate etc.?

Thanks for your time!

Usually very poor response time(up in the 100+MS)
    Usually ghosting and stuttering
    No G sync

i would not recommend

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I would not recomend a TV as a gaming monitor. You can use it to maybe browse the internet, watch movies from the computer to the TV etc. But when it comes to gaming I would pass. It has very bad respone time, the quality is not that great. You won't get anything good out of it, atleast when it comes to gaming.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks all!

15+ Year Old Account
    Just to iterate:
    While a lot of TVs have a gaming mode (or something similar), most of them still have a noticeably higher latency than normal monitors.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Basically a lot depends on exactly WHAT you have for a TV.

If you got the $200 Black friday special, probably not so much. If you spent more like $1k+, it will probably work fine.

A lot of TVs support higher than the 30 FPS that is the basic broadcast standard. How much higher depends on the TV.

4k TVs are bad to game on at full resolution unless you have a top end rig. Of the consumer level GPUs, only the recent 1080ti can manage 60 fps in most games at 4k with maxed settings.

A TV can work just fine for a lot of gaming. It probably won't be great for anything that's a highly twitchy game like most first person shooters, but a lot of other games aren't nearly as latency sensitive and WoW is one of them.

Deleted
    I used a 42" panny plasma for a couple of years for wow. It was more than fine, except for the ui burn in

Was it as nice ad my new gsync display? No. But it did pretty well and having 42" plasma abfoot in front of your face is pretty immersive

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    I used a 42" panny plasma for a couple of years for wow. It was more than fine, except for the ui burn in

Was it as nice ad my new gsync display? No. But it did pretty well and having 42" plasma abfoot in front of your face is pretty immersive
    I've gamed on my Pioneer Plasma as well, but the plasmas do have lower latency than the typical LCD TV and handle rapidly changing content much better than nearly all LCDs as well.

I generally recommend against it, but know people who are totally happy with it. My friend loves to use his 32" 720p TV for gaming, especially games with good controller support. However, we are also talking about a guy who is totally happy with a 720p TV and doesn't see the difference between it and my 1080p, even when side by side showing the same content. He also doesn't notice the difference between 25ish FPS and 60+FPS. So I wouldn't take what he does in to consideration, unless you are like him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Question is too generic. Depends on the TV entirely.

Deleted
    It's too generic to establish how bigger issue it would be, but input latency is the major downside of gaming on a tv. If you fps it will be basically shit on any tv though (compared to a $200-250 1080p monitor), where actual refresh rate and input latency are the key.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the responses. The tv in question was a 32inch led 1080p. Im glad that I asked here before making the impulse buy! I think instead I will go with one of the monitors listed in the "build of the month."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    It's too generic to establish how bigger issue it would be, but input latency is the major downside of gaming on a tv. If you fps it will be basically shit on any tv though (compared to a $200-250 1080p monitor), where actual refresh rate and input latency are the key.
    You know, there are CRT TVs that are literally faster than any LCD monitor you can buy in terms of input lag. And all the half decent LCD TVs nowadays have 120Hz panels for judder-free playback. Some accept you to give it a 120Hz input while others don't. Some on their "gaming mode" have a ~20ms total lag (input lag from signal processing + pixel response times) which isn't exactly far from your average monitor and wouldn't exactly give any issues for anyone who isn't playing the game professionally. Some of the old Plasmas would also be better in gaming scenarios compared to your average monitor due to having lower total display lag and no eye-tracking motion blue whatsoever.

It's obvious that your gaming monitor built entirely to be fast is better than your average TV in gaming, but the comparison depends entirely on the products.

I use a TV when I play single player, because if I'm being honest, I don't think it makes a huge difference over basic monitors unless you're playing online FPS or something like Overwatch competitively. I don't play online, I don't play competitively, and my reaction time is not good enough to notice a 1/10 second latency when using a controller. I enjoy playing on my TV because its a bigger screen and I can play games sitting on my couch, rather than being stuck at my desk. Don't get me wrong, I have a monitor I play on too, but I use both and notice no difference in play style.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRocks View Post
    Thanks for the responses. The tv in question was a 32inch led 1080p. Im glad that I asked here before making the impulse buy! I think instead I will go with one of the monitors listed in the "build of the month."
    "32inch led 1080p" doesn't really answer anything but judging from the size and the resolution I don't think it has a good panel, so you're better with any monitor indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I generally recommend against it, but know people who are totally happy with it. My friend loves to use his 32" 720p TV for gaming, especially games with good controller support. However, we are also talking about a guy who is totally happy with a 720p TV and doesn't see the difference between it and my 1080p, even when side by side showing the same content. He also doesn't notice the difference between 25ish FPS and 60+FPS. So I wouldn't take what he does in to consideration, unless you are like him.
    Does your friend have dark glasses, a cane, and always walks around with a dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Does your friend have dark glasses, a cane, and always walks around with a dog?
    No to the first two, but he does walk around with a dog, only the dog is blind, not him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    You know, there are CRT TVs that are literally faster than any LCD monitor you can buy in terms of input lag.

It's obvious that your gaming monitor built entirely to be fast is better than your average TV in gaming, but the comparison depends entirely on the products.
    Agreed I was being a bit general, I was playing on a 24" crt until 144hz lcd's became available, and if I played top end I'd probably still have it (as many do)