Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Tbf, I think it should be possible to be held accountable for what you do or say to someone, even IF that someone can just "turn off the computer/chat window/block you on social media".

This whole idea that you should be able to behave like an ass because it's "the internet" does not fly with me. When you start targeting someone, it's a problem and should be treated as such.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    So you are saying people that get bullied online should never be able to use anything online so they can avoid being bullied? Meanwhile the person doing the bullying has no restriction. And that is ok for you?
    Probably the same mentality which goes into this whole deal where victims of bullying in schools are the ones being relocated... or even in the case of school rape... Why should the perps be punished and relocated and forced to face consequences? The victim could always just stop coming to that particular school...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    I remember xbox live as a kid. Guess we were just made of sterner stuff in those days.
    Never being the target of this sort of behaviour =/= "being made of sterner stuff".

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remember xbox live as a kid. Guess we were just made of sterner stuff in those days.

Yes, cause random person on the net = completely the same as people in your school/grade/age bullying you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    He didn't say it was "OK" to bully people online. He merely pointed out that the "victim" is partially to blame. So, before you throw around words like "ignorant", make sure your own reading comprehension is up to par.

Yes, "douchey" people suck. But one one has any obligation to "care" about random people. Real life isn't sparkly ponies and rainbows.
    Well it is ignorant to even think to blame the victim. So yes, ignorant is the correct term. I think my reading comprehension is up to par, but you should maybe read what he wrote again? He didnt partially blame the victims at all, he said they allow it to happen. What he wrote(and many others) seems to think that cyber bullying isn't the same as bullying like face to face. Seems to me that they mean its okay to bully people online, but not when its face to face, wich is the same thing for those who gets bullied. You think those who gets bullied online and then think about killing themself focus on how they get bullied? No, bullying is bullying.

But sure, maybe that was a bit harsh what I wrote, and sorry for writing that(to prwraith) but NEVER blame the victims, whatever reason. Blame those who actually bully.

And indeed, real life is tough. Does not mean that you have to make it harder for people. People kill themself for this shit.
    Last edited by Doffen; 2017-03-17 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppen View Post
    Getting bullied online isn't a thing. Who is forcing them to log on and read abuse?

If I open a message that starts with 'Dear Cunt' I'm unlikely to keep reading
    No, you're not forced to be online were most of our lives exist nowadays, cyberstalking doesn't include hacking or re-doing blocked accounts to keep the harassment up, naawww...

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    "Friends of friends" should be safe enough option, as long as you are not one of those folks who have 500+ friends, most of which are random people. But yeah, it is pretty stupid, there definitely should be a "Friends only" option.
    Indeed. None of my friends add random people. They only add people they have met irl and thought were nice. I've met most of those they add too.
    Last edited by Moratori; 2017-03-17 at 11:39 PM.

Yes, cause random person on the net = completely the same as people in your school/grade/age bullying you.
    So...?

Do people think any of these things are new? At some point you have to be willing to stand up for yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    So...?

Do people think any of these things are new? At some point you have to be willing to stand up for yourself.

People are standing up. They are just doing it in a broader sense to lower how much it happens in the first place.

Why do you think punishing bullies is a bad thing?

People are standing up. They are just doing it in a broader sense to lower how much it happens in the first place.

Why do you think punishing bullies is a bad thing?
    Why have a court system when a angry mob will do?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why have a court system when a angry mob will do?

These people ARE using the court system?

Why not answer my question?

These people ARE using the court system?

Why not answer my question?
    It seems like a way to excuse poor parenting then anything else from my point of view. Yes they are not good people but I don't think attacking free speech with heavy handed laws is going to be better in the long run.

Hold the parents accountable for neglect and charge him with the crimes he commited. Responsible parenting would of ended this before it started.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems like a way to excuse poor parenting then anything else from my point of view. Yes they are not good people but I don't think attacking free speech with heavy handed laws is going to be better in the long run.

Hold the parents accountable for neglect and charge him with the crimes he commited. Responsible parenting would of ended this before it started.

Which parents are you talking about?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I was bullied on Facebook and I can tell you that it's most definitely real.
    You do understand that there's more to being "bullied" than just harassment, hurt feelings and/or name-calling, right? Not saying you weren't "bullied", but nor do I know the situation. Too many people use "bullying" as an all-encompassing umbrella for "stuff that makes me feel bad" and that's not what it is.

because of people like you the police doesn't really take it seriously.
    This is a pretty retarded thing to say. If the police don't take something seriously, that's on the police, no one else.

Someone was killed.
    Correction: Someone committed suicide.

And what he did was premeditated.
    He did not kill her.

There is ground to try this as murder.
    Again, no, there's not. That is not how that word works:

the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another
    Suicide literally cannot be murder.

As a certificated child care worker my statement is more valid than his.
    Your opinion is not, regardless of who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Well it is ignorant to even think to blame the victim.
    If they're partially to blame, no, it's not.

He didnt partially blame the victims at all, he said they allow it to happen.
    If they took no action to prevent or report it, they technically did allow it to happen.

What he wrote(and many others) seems to think that cyber bullying isn't the same as bullying like face to face. Seems to me that they mean its okay to bully people online, but not when its face to face, wich is the same thing for those who gets bullied. You think those who gets bullied online and then think about killing themself focus on how they get bullied? No, bullying is bullying.
    They're not the same. I honestly don't think half the people that talk about "bullying" even know what the word means. The reason so many people shrug off "cyber-bullying" is because it's pretty hard to have any level of power over someone over the internet. Now in this case, it would certainly qualify as he had a source of power and used it for blackmail. But someone harassing you on social media does not qualify as "bullying".

People kill themself for this shit.
    The only person to blame for a voluntary suicide is the person who took their own life.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2017-03-17 at 11:59 PM.

If you wouldn't do or say something to someone's face in person, especially if you're around a group of people, then you shouldn't do or say that something online. This should be common sense.

Just because you're online doesn't mean you should turn into an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    The only person to blame for a voluntary suicide is the person who took their own life.
    This just do it all for me.

The difference is i wasnt stupid enough to send nudes of myself to other people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    The difference is i wasnt stupid enough to send nudes of myself to other people.

Congratulations, what you said has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

Which parents are you talking about?
    Clearly the ones who allowed the situation to get out of control who else?

I think he should be punished but for the crimes he commited. Making cyberbullying a crime is simply to broad. Crimes alreadg exist for what happened without clamping down on free speech.

Its the methods not the results I question.

Good, life would be better if being an asshole was illegal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly the ones who allowed the situation to get out of control who else?

I think he should be punished but for the crimes he commited. Making cyberbullying a crime is simply to broad. Crimes alreadg exist for what happened without clamping down on free speech.

Its the methods not the results I question.

So what laws cover bullying online? You do understand the reason we started making these laws is because old laws weren't able to apply online.

So what laws cover bullying online? You do understand the reason we started making these laws is because old laws weren't able to apply online.
    The law in canada...?

I find it absurd that it exists punish him for the real crimes he commited but don't use him as a trojan horse to attack free speech.