Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Sexist jokes are;
    A> only funny to sexists, and
    B> still sexist.

Because his "joke" was obviously sexist? It literally demeans women. That's the whole "joke", making fun of women. Sorry, I don't see the humor. It's like making a joke about "how greedy Jews are", or "how dumb black people are". Those are just racist statements. People who aren't prejudiced don't find them funny in the first place.
    This is a HUGE logic fail. Textbook definition of a sweeping generalization. It's the sort of statement where you only need a single example to prove it wrong. It's just not sound reasoning.

What if someone finds literally ALL jokes funny?

What if someone likes sexist jokes but are not themselves prejudiced?

What if someone just has a thing for jokes that are exactly 5 words long? Or 9 if you don't consider a hashtag to be one word.

I honestly expect better from you. Surely you have to realize that your statement is completely wrong, right?

Well, his comment WAS blatantly sexist.

He needs to own that, not whine about how unfair it is that people rightly pointed it out as the sexist remark that it was.

And yeesh, people, for folks who get so upset about people being "triggered" by an indirect sweeping insult like this, your getting upset is the same kind of triggering. It just has a lot less merit, since you're upset that a sexist was identified as a sexist, based on a sexist remark he made in public and won't retract or apologize for.
    sorry, i hate using this word, but this is a pretty "autistic" line of argument. in the sense that it indicates heavy social reclusivity on your part. technically yeah that's sexist but it's also completely harmless. it's completely in league with something like if a woman said something like "a day without men? ah no conflicts and total world peace!", which is also harmless and not the kind of thing any man with a spine would get his panties in a twist over.

what i think is embarrassing for women is the fact of how this is getting overblown with claims of sexism, it's so infantizing, petty, and just painfully pathetic. And if you're close to any woman who doesn't look at this and facepalm in sheer embarrassment at these other women in their uproar over this, then i feel sorry for ya.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I seeing this correct, the Peace and Quiet #Adaywithoutwoman tweet was the joke in question?
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    So everyone should just self-censor and keep their mouths shut forever, lest their lives be ruined for offending people...?

Sounds like a fucking great society.
    No, people should say whatever they deem right, and accept the consequences. If you don't want to have to deal with mean reactions and consequences, well... Isn't that what safe spaces are for?

The guy made a comment. People reacted. You seem to want to have a society in which the guy makes a comment, and people don't dare express their opinion on that comment. Sorry, freedom of speech goes both ways!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    No, people should say whatever they deem right, and accept the consequences. If you don't want to have to deal with mean reactions and consequences, well... Isn't that what safe spaces are for?

The guy made a comment. People reacted. You seem to want to have a society in which the guy makes a comment, and people don't dare express their opinion on that comment. Sorry, freedom of speech goes both ways!
    Today I learned expressing your opinion is the same thing as character assassination.

Deleted
    I think it's safe to say that "it's been blown out of proportion" is a bit of an understatement for what is, regardless of whether you think it's sexist or not, a pretty harmless comment in the grand scheme of things.

It does make me wonder though, when did the context or intent of what people say become so unimportant? I just fail to see how anyone can look at the tweet and take away anything more than a joke.

I mean, I'd completely agree with those calling it sexist and unacceptable if we were talking about a statement about man's superiority and what not, but that's just not what it was. Literally all he said was "Ah, peace and quiet" which is nothing more than age old joke that has been said in practically every household with a couple living together, whether man and woman or same sex. And it's not like women don't say the same thing about men or each other, I mean - come on!

If you don't find the joke funny or tasteful in any way, shape or form, that's absolutely fine, humour isn't a universal constant, but making it out to be something it isn't as a response isn't OK as far as I'm concerned, and to me, that's clearly what's happened.

As for the International Business Times, Polygon and other articles, they were clearly exploiting his situation to generate traffic and I don't think that should surprise anyone anymore. Racism against women, really IBT, really?

At the end of the day though, it's a shame to see him taking a step away from the video game industry. I quite often didn't agree with his opinion on things, but it was always nice to have someone coming from a different view point.

Sexist jokes are;
    A> only funny to sexists, and
    B> still sexist.
    I don't really care for these kinds of "controversies" but I had to respond to this, this is blatantly untrue. I was watching Anthony Jeselnik's Thoughts and Prayers special with my mother (an old school feminist) and sister, and he did a bit that went roughly like "I was at a bar and I asked this stunning woman what she did, and she said I am a brain surgeon, and I was really impressed, as women usually can't pull off sarcasm". They both laughed like fuck. Yes, it was offensive, and it was funny for that exact reason- they didn't believe for a second that he actually thought that, a crucial part to comedy for many people (if it had been Bernard Manning, I doubt that they, nor I, would have laughed), and they didn't see where he was going with it, the offensiveness took them by surprise and they found it funny, it was something that they shouldn't be laughing at, which is in itself funny. When you have the express understanding that he doesn't actually think like this, and he is giving the audience enough credit to assume they don't either, then offensive humour can be brilliant, and certainly not harmful. Yes, bigots will laugh at it, for the wrong reasons (e.g., not the intended reasons), but that is just the risk you run.

Your view on comedy is very simple minded. You just don't get comedy.
    Last edited by tehealadin; 2017-03-18 at 08:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

You are missing the point. No one is saying that these people don't have a right to their opinion, just that their opinion is retarded.

Well, his comment WAS blatantly sexist.

He needs to own that, not whine about how unfair it is that people rightly pointed it out as the sexist remark that it was.

And yeesh, people, for folks who get so upset about people being "triggered" by an indirect sweeping insult like this, your getting upset is the same kind of triggering. It just has a lot less merit, since you're upset that a sexist was identified as a sexist, based on a sexist remark he made in public and won't retract or apologize for.
    not even a little sexist. jesus christ. how some people survive in the real world ill never know

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollhammer View Post
    No. Maajid Nawaz first coined the phrase. A British-Pakistani Muslim.
    As i said "sounds like"

Cheap two bit catchphrase kind of insults, worthless shit really. So sounds like some right wing radio host

Could have said left wing but the left wing has issues throwing catchphrases at itself so probably not

10+ Year Old Account
    making a sexist joke isn't "okay" just because you're trying to be funny.
    I don't know if I entirely agree with that.

Stand up comedians are almost entirely made of jokes about someone, or something. I think it was Bill Burr (or someone, anyway), who commented that for every joke out there, someone COULD get offended. And if we worried about that every time, we'd have no jokes, ever.

There is certainly a line to be drawn, somewhere. I'm sure if I read my friends facebook pages, 100% of them would be in support of international womens day, and the whole idea of hashtag whatever. And despite that, some of them, if not many, would chuckle at the comment. Or at least give a smirky eyeroll and be done with it. I think the problem here is platform.

I like to make jokes to my girlfriend of these kinds. Especially the 'go make a sandwich' type. We're both smart enough and adult enough that it's clearly a joke, and that I don't have some deep seated grudge against women entering the business marketplace. I'd probably post a few cute memes on facebook about those kind of jokes, if I used it, and know what kind of reaction most of my friends would get.

But if all that were the same, and I was somehow semi-famous (or internet famous anyway, I've never heard of this guy), people would be all over it, about how slanderous comments like that are. Why does having even a small social gathering make something shift from a joke to actual sexism.

I feel like this is sort of similar to the whole idea of freedom of speech, where people pay too much attention to the letter of the law, and not the spirit.

I think more importantly, is that it was a joke. Perhaps a joke in bad taste (as this is my opinion), but still a joke. People have the ability to either get angered about sexism, or shrug it off and continue on realizing that A) It's a joke, and B) He is not harming anyone, nor has the intent to do so. It was literally a twitter comment. Most people didn't even see it until it went viral. Most people who got offended were probably not even people who follow him.

But even so, lets pretend it might not have been a joke, and thinly veiled sexism being justified as a joke. It was three words. There's simply not enough context to assume it was sexism intended. We don't know, for sure. But people immediately jump on the boat regardless. It's happened more than a few times in the past year.

Now, I'm not condoning passing sexism off as a joke, or calling it a joke when you realize you just pissed off people. That's different.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Today I learned expressing your opinion is the same thing as character assassination.
    That's because you don't read what people say and haven't thought this issue through. When you express a controversial opinion, you are bound to get controversial reactions. If you think you should be protected from those reactions, then you are just as much a baby needing a safe space as those you criticize.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    You are missing the point. No one is saying that these people don't have a right to their opinion, just that their opinion is retarded.
    And those people say the same about the guy: his joke is retarded. Regular exchange of opinion, it happens.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Words aren't bad. They're innocent. Context is the deciding factor. Always was.
    The joke in question clearly has no bad context.
    In fact, the joke is merely a quote, if anything.
    It's cited millions of times in one variant or another every single day in functional and happy relationships where one gets a break from their spouse.
    And no one would ever see it as sexist, period.

The "why is the woman in the living room - because the chain in the kitchen is too long" is a lot more "sexist",
    and yet old as dirt, plus men and women alike laugh about it.

We're living in a society, in a generation of Apologism. There you go, it's not a word but it has to be. Apologism.
    We all have the right to speak. We also have the right to shut the fuck up. And if we don't like an expression or random quote, we'd get further if one would simply ignore it.
    Learn to use your freedom of speech ability effective and powerful. Bitching about some unimportant random internet clowns mediocre joke isn't such situation.
    Common sense. It evades ever further thanks to apologism..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    I was watching Anthony Jeselnik's Thoughts and Prayers special
    He's a master provocateur. I love his humor.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

And those people say the same about the guy: his joke is retarded. Regular exchange of opinion, it happens.
    Regular exchanges of opinion don't cause people to be forced out of their jobs. One was a joke and the other was a reaction. You are trying to remove all the context out of the situation.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, #ADayWithoutAWoman is sexist af. Implies that there's a difference in which gender is absent during a day.

Should've being #ADayWithoutARandomSampleOfDiverseGroupOfPeopleNotImplyingAnything.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Regular exchanges of opinion don't cause people to be forced out of their jobs. One was a joke and the other was a reaction. You are trying to remove all the context out of the situation.
    He wasn't forced out of his job. He quit. That was his reaction to the reaction. Don't forget that part of the context.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the context of the situation, the guy left the job voluntarily. He made a joke, people reacted, the company he was working on reacted on the reaction, and he reacted on the company's reaction and quit. Nothing was forced, everything happened naturally.

If you make a controversial comment on MMO Champ and the admin bans you permanently for it, then you were forced out of the forum. If you make a controversial comment on MMO Champ, people react on it strongly negatively, a few mods tell you that your comment was inappropriate and this kind of comments are not welcome on these forums, and you say, "Wow, I don't want to be a part of such a community any more", and quit - then nobody forced you out of it, you made your own decision.

Simple experiment.

Substitute racial stereotypes and or racial slurs into a similar joke, is it a racist joke?
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

If you don't know who Colin Moriarty is, he is a self-proclaimed Republican/Libertarian in gaming community/gaming journalism. Most recently in his career he co-founded Kinda Funny Games, a YouTube gaming channel.

A little while back on International Women's Day, some women started the #DayWithoutAWoman protest on twitter. In a incredibly harmless joke mocking this protest, Colin Moriarty made the following tweet:

Almost immediately a mass triggering occurred. People (especially among mainstream "games journalism") were accusing him of sexism, misogyny, even racism, somehow. His colleagues at Kinda Funny Games released an apology on his behalf (since he refuses to apologize, rightfully). A few days later he voluntarily resigned from Kinda Funny Games.

This kind of shit needs to stop.

I just wanted to draw attention to this because its getting ridiculous. It needs to end.

And no... I am not attacking the left, I am not endorsing the right... I am attacking the regressive left.
    Lol what a pussy ... and also pretty stupid! Posting a public comment, not expecting a public reaction and than crying publicly about it afterwards. I guess he wants his own private safe space and expects Twitter of all things to be that . Also being a Libertarian and complaining about the free market . I can only laugh about his guy and his victim complex!

And you getting triggered by this public reaction and offended on behalf of this guy makes you sound exactly like one of those SJW twitter activists. People complaining about other people complaining just look stupid in my opinion. But I guess you want your own safe space too?!
    Guns don't kill people! Toddlers kill people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydevours View Post
    And you getting triggered by this public reaction and offended on behalf of this guy makes you sound exactly like one of those SJW twitter activists. People complaining about other people complaining just look stupid in my opinion. But I guess you want your own safe space too?!
    What about people complaining about people complaining about other people complaining?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.