resto shaman need help

So i went from being one of our best healers to just trying to not get benched and i dont know whats happend. Would really appreciate any help with logs and telling me what im doing wrong and why i cant get anywhere near the other resto shaman.

Logs:https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/N7mXzb9j2PvrA4xJ

character-Ghostlion
    Guild: The Reddawn
    server: kel'thuzad

Too many healers for your raid first. I wouldn't bother running cloudburst with that many healers on normal, too easy to be sniped. You're specced into ascendance for some reason and both of you heal a lot with Healing Surge, for some reason.

On spellblade it looks like you died.

Second, unless they're capped at 30, your raid shouldn't bench you. If they do they're pretty dumb.

If you want more in-depth, use the compare function of warcraftlogs and run it against the other shaman on fights where you're way far apart and didn't die. That'll tell you about your relative output over time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I'm all for lots of healing surge. However, it looks like you're trying to be a tank healer. On fights that can be really good for us, like Skorpyron and Krosus, you're doing between 40-45% of your healing on just tanks. Example of what I mean on Skorpyron and example on Krosus.

Gear also makes a little bit of a difference. The other shaman has better stats and higher AP. Your cocoon trinket is border-line useless to you, especially since you're almost not using it at all. A world quest stat stick would be better at that point, even if you have to drop a few ilvls for it. Even an 840 stat stick would drop 381 intellect but would gain you 943 mast/crit.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom

Quote Originally Posted by Mesoforte View Post
    Too many healers for your raid first. I wouldn't bother running cloudburst with that many healers on normal, too easy to be sniped. You're specced into ascendance for some reason and both of you heal a lot with Healing Surge, for some reason.

On spellblade it looks like you died.

Second, unless they're capped at 30, your raid shouldn't bench you. If they do they're pretty dumb.

If you want more in-depth, use the compare function of warcraftlogs and run it against the other shaman on fights where you're way far apart and didn't die. That'll tell you about your relative output over time.
    As a matter of curiosity, if you wouldn't run Cloudburst with that many healers, what would you run instead, and why (other than 'because (insert simcraft website) said so'.

You also mention "you're specced into Ascendance, for some reason". I can tell you when I heal, I am also specced into Ascendance at the request of the raid leaders. Are you saying high tide is the better alternative? I can see where that might be the case, especially if you have the resto ring. In the meantime, having high tide and then chain healing the shit out of everything can (and has) run me out of mana many times.

And finally you mention the guy uses healing surge a lot, for some reason. Well, there is really only 2 reasons you see that.

1. The raid is taking a shitload of damage all the time, which means the raid needs to smarten the fuck up.
    2. It is a way to try to snipe heals, or prevent being sniped, either of which becomes a matter of competing with a meter, rather than doing your role correctly. One of the reasons why I wish they would have at least kept the smart healing aspect with chain heal, because you can control where the first target hits, but after that, it could try to heal someone who doesn't require healing, while someone who does doesn't get it because of their location in respect to the first target.

Anyway, I'm just asking for an elaboration.
    "The fatal flaw of every plan, no matter how well planned, is the assumption that you know more than your enemy."

1. High tide is better than ascendance except in rare cases when you need another cd which should be rare running 2 shaman. It's true you can't just spam it so use it wisely. Also, CH is still a smart heal. 2 change cloudburst to echo. More riptides mean more instant heals and hots you can have rolling so you don't have to surge as often. Extra tip: if you have more than 1 shaman have 1 run earthen shield totem. Your added health doesn't stack.

Alright first off you need to cut down to 3 healers 4 max im not sure why in gods name your running 5 shamans get wrecked if their are to many healers because of our mastery and opportunity to heal low hp targets. Im posting my logs for your comparison on your H Tich fight warcraftlogs.com/reports/6hDPmQ1JgrtBAR3N#fight=14&type=healing
    We heal very differently but I hardly ever cast healing surge but feel free to go over my logs. I am by no means an amazing top 10% player but im happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
    As a matter of curiosity, if you wouldn't run Cloudburst with that many healers, what would you run instead, and why (other than 'because (insert simcraft website) said so'.
    I'd use echo for normal/heroic. I usually use cloudburst on Mythic only, because there's just more chances to use the burst. Cloudburst can do a lot of healing. (I've had it take anywhere between 8-12%. However, its healing isn't always the most useful if the burst isn't timed well. You can build up a good 200000000 burst using the right cooldowns. If when the burst happens a monk hits revival, that heal does nothing. If the there's big damage right before you hit the burst button, it does nothing. If the druid tranq's before the burst builds enough, it does nothing.

I like cloudburst for some fights. I like it on mythic when there's more than enough damage that I'm sure it will be effective. On normal/heroic, I go with echo. It is consistent, readily available, and it can't be sniped. (also it works well with set bonus.)

Why are your raid leaders requesting you spec ascendance for nighthold? There's only one fight in the last tier in raids where I like having the extra cooldown (guarm), but otherwise, I don't see much use for it. With 3-4 healers, you should have more than enough cooldowns to be able to rotate properly (assuming some communication.

In the meantime, having high tide and then chain healing the shit out of everything can (and has) run me out of mana many times.
    You don't spam chain heal with High Tide. use Chain heal when appropriate, and use your tidal waves charges.

1. The raid is taking a shitload of damage all the time, which means the raid needs to smarten the fuck up.
    Probably.

2. It is a way to try to snipe heals, or prevent being sniped, either of which becomes a matter of competing with a meter, rather than doing your role correctly. One of the reasons why I wish they would have at least kept the smart healing aspect with chain heal, because you can control where the first target hits, but after that, it could try to heal someone who doesn't require healing, while someone who does doesn't get it because of their location in respect to the first target.
    If you're worried about sniping heals for healing meters, it is an aspect of having too many healers, and instead of sniping you can throw out some DPS. The amount you gain by sniping, even when competing on meters is low gain for mana/HPS cost. If you heal when you actually need to, you overall gain more HPS, since you don't run OOM.

As an example, when I run LFR on multiple fights, I don't always heal for a good portion of the fight. (P2 Gul'dan has very little healing needed for long bursts.) During that time I usually DPS and spot heal. I popped most of my cooldowns during P1 for stupidity, and cycled them again through P2 when the eyes were up, but otherwise I did a DPS rotation. I did 50% of the healing of the 5 healers that blizzard puts in LFR.

Those healers continued to snipe each other in P2. They didn't do something else to regen mana (DPS). That meant I could carry a ridiculous lead into P3 when there was actually healing to be done.
    Last edited by Mesoforte; 2017-03-17 at 08:13 PM.

I'd use echo for normal/heroic. I usually use cloudburst on Mythic only, because there's just more chances to use the burst. Cloudburst can do a lot of healing. (I've had it take anywhere between 8-12%. However, its healing isn't always the most useful if the burst isn't timed well. You can build up a good 200000000 burst using the right cooldowns. If when the burst happens a monk hits revival, that heal does nothing. If the there's big damage right before you hit the burst button, it does nothing. If the druid tranq's before the burst builds enough, it does nothing.

I like cloudburst for some fights. I like it on mythic when there's more than enough damage that I'm sure it will be effective. On normal/heroic, I go with echo. It is consistent, readily available, and it can't be sniped. (also it works well with set bonus.)

Why are your raid leaders requesting you spec ascendance for nighthold? There's only one fight in the last tier in raids where I like having the extra cooldown (guarm), but otherwise, I don't see much use for it. With 3-4 healers, you should have more than enough cooldowns to be able to rotate properly (assuming some communication.

You don't spam chain heal with High Tide. use Chain heal when appropriate, and use your tidal waves charges.

Probably.

If you're worried about sniping heals for healing meters, it is an aspect of having too many healers, and instead of sniping you can throw out some DPS. The amount you gain by sniping, even when competing on meters is low gain for mana/HPS cost. If you heal when you actually need to, you overall gain more HPS, since you don't run OOM.

As an example, when I run LFR on multiple fights, I don't always heal for a good portion of the fight. (P2 Gul'dan has very little healing needed for long bursts.) During that time I usually DPS and spot heal. I popped most of my cooldowns during P1 for stupidity, and cycled them again through P2 when the eyes were up, but otherwise I did a DPS rotation. I did 50% of the healing of the 5 healers that blizzard puts in LFR.

Those healers continued to snipe each other in P2. They didn't do something else to regen mana (DPS). That meant I could carry a ridiculous lead into P3 when there was actually healing to be done.
    Ok, so, my raid lead doesn't always have me heal, but when I do, it is for high incoming damage applications, and a Shaman properly specced can have a lot of healing cooldowns at his fingertips. That being said, healing sniping isn't my primary concern, I just mentioned that as an explanation for why you'd see on healing charts a bunch of them being cast in a fight. As a resto shaman, I am mindful of the fact that I am not a holy pally, and mismanagement of my healing spells will run me out of mana. This isn't MoP, where the crit resurgence build will keep you from going OOM, because then, we had the luxury of a mana tide totem, and we don't anymore. And I think it has something to do with lack of confidence in revival and the pally CD (not the artifact ability. I can't remember the name of it off hand). We currently have on our team a pally, a monk, a druid and a holy priest for a 22-25 man grp, and I am usually rotated out for the pally, either when he doesn't show up, or when the lead wants more CD's. Aside of that, I am elemental. Yeah, I guess that's what happens when none of the other healers on the team are any good at any other spec except healing, while I am at the very least, competent as a dps in either spec as a shaman.
    "The fatal flaw of every plan, no matter how well planned, is the assumption that you know more than your enemy."

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTKITTEN View Post
    So i went from being one of our best healers to just trying to not get benched and i dont know whats happend. Would really appreciate any help with logs and telling me what im doing wrong and why i cant get anywhere near the other resto shaman.

Logs:https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/N7mXzb9j2PvrA4xJ

character-Ghostlion
    Guild: The Reddawn
    server: kel'thuzad
    One of the things inherent to Resto Shaman is also that as other healers get more gear (and DPS get more HP), you suffer more, because you'll be able to benefit less from Mastery. But as Mesoforte said, there is no reason to bench you unless they cap. You could ask one of the other healers if they want to go DPS on the earlier fights, see if it increases your part in the healing enough.

And then ofcourse always keep improving your playstyle, adjust to the situation as needed, but not a whole lot I can add to the advice of TigerTiddles and other experienced posters here have said already.

Quote Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
    Ok, so, my raid lead doesn't always have me heal, but when I do, it is for high incoming damage applications, and a Shaman properly specced can have a lot of healing cooldowns at his fingertips.
    What about Ancestral Guidance, Spirit Link and Healing Tide?

Unless Ascendance is just dominating your healing, I'd talk to your raid leader about losing Ascendance and having the other healers learn to step it up. If they can't, they're holding everyone back.

What about Ancestral Guidance, Spirit Link and Healing Tide?

Unless Ascendance is just dominating your healing, I'd talk to your raid leader about losing Ascendance and having the other healers learn to step it up. If they can't, they're holding everyone back.
    It isn't that.... I am elemental mostly, but in the instance of high damage output (often at the beginning of a new raid), I'm just an insurance policy that usually goes back to being elemental or enhance once the deed is done. One could actually argue I'm just lazy and not interested in bettering resto since I have other concerns.