Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Man dies charging iPhone while in the bath

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

A man was electrocuted as he charged his mobile phone while in the bath, an inquest has heard.

Richard Bull, 32, died when his iPhone charger made contact with the water at his home in Ealing, west London.

A coroner ruled his death was accidental and plans to send a report to Apple about taking action to prevent future deaths.

Safety campaigners have warned about the dangers of charging mobiles near water following the inquest.

Mr Bull is believed to have plugged his charger into an extension cord from the hallway and rested it on his chest while using the phone, the Sun reports.

He suffered severe burns on his chest, arm and hand when the charger touched the water and died on 11 December, the newspaper said.

Assistant coroner Dr Sean Cummings, who conducted the inquest at West London Coroner's Court on Wednesday, is to write a prevention of future death report to send to Apple.

Charity Electrical Safety First said the death highlighted some of the dangers of having electrical appliances around water.

Product safety manager Steve Curtler said people would not get electrocuted from a mobile appliance such as a laptop or mobile phone if it was not being charged.

Such devices typically have a low voltage of 5V to 20V so "you probably wouldn't feel it" if they came into contact with water, he added.

However, connecting a mobile phone to a charger plugged into the mains electricity supply increases the risk of harm.

"Although the cable that is plugged in to your phone is 5V, somewhere along the line it's plugged into the electricity supply and you're reliant on that cable and a transformer to make sure you don't get into contact with the main voltage," said Mr Curtler.

He said cheap, non-branded chargers may not offer such protection, but even with genuine chargers you are still taking an unnecessary risk.

"You're wet, which conducts electricity a lot better; you're in the bath with no clothes on, so skin resistance is less. You're vulnerable in the bathroom."

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (Rospa) warns against using any electrical appliance in the bathroom.

Public health adviser Sheila Merrill said: "People need to be aware of taking an electrical appliance into the bathroom.

"The advice has always been given with regard to hairdryers and radios - not to use in the bathroom.

"If you have got any appliance attached to the mains electricity circuit, you have to be aware there is a danger there.

"You're risking death. Electricity and water don't mix, but particularly with phones, people probably don't always think about it.

"It's not advisable to use them while they're plugged in, particularly in a bathroom situation."

She said Rospa did not see this type of accident on a "regular basis" and most mobile phone manufacturers cover the electric shock risk in their safety handling support advice.

However, with a lot of mobile phones the advice does not come with the instructions you receive in your hand, she added.

Apple did not respond to requests for a comment.
    Perhaps a stark reminder for people here

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

Perhaps a stark reminder for people here
    PSA: Commiting suicide kills you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Darwin strikes again. I'm sorry, but I have zero sympathy for people who do stupid shit like this.

Water + Electricity = Bad. You learn this fact very early in life.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    PSA: Commiting suicide kills you.
    "A coroner ruled his death was accidental"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Darwin strikes again. I'm sorry, but I have zero sympathy for people who do stupid shit like this.

I think the point is people don't think a phone has enough power to cause death and thus forget about the risk

Deleted
    First of all who takes fucking baths, have a shower this isn't the victorian times.
    Second, if you can't put your phone down for 10 minutes you are a twat.

I'd hate to become a retard stat like 'number of people electricuted in baths'.

Wow first I learned it's not safe to make toast in my bathtub while I'm taking a bath and now this? Whats next my daily dose of anthrax is gonna make me sick or worse!?!?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We should pickit big electric for providing unsafe power. If he were using hydro it would have canceled each other out.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Deleted
    Mr Bull is believed to have plugged his charger into an extension cord from the hallway and rested it on his chest while using the phone, the Sun reports.
    How can someone be that fucking dumb? Give this guy the Darwin Award, he's a top contender.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    How can someone be that fucking dumb? Give this guy the Darwin Award, he's a top contender.
    Yep, I agree. I have no sympathy whatsoever. Do something stupid that kills you? Won't get any sympathy from me.

10+ Year Old Account
    What an idiot, you'd think it's common sense to not charge anything in your bathroom.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    "A coroner ruled his death was accidental"

- - - Updated - - -

I think the point is people don't think a phone has enough power to cause death and thus forget about the risk
    I read this as he had the extension cord on his chest. The electricity flowing into the extension is the same as as if you licked a plug.

I don't think he would have died if his phone fell into the water while plugged in. The whole extension cord fell in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Seems a bit harsh to die it on the first go though.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Darwin award winner goes to.......

All i see is that he lacked common sense.

Deleted
    waouh... Well done miss clever.
    Last edited by mmoc74b1cd36eb; 2017-08-02 at 10:07 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    All i see is that he lacked common sense.
    I really don't know why they call it common sense. It isn't common at all. It should be called uncommon sense.

Deleted
    The cause of death was ignorance, not electrocution. That was the consequence.

If he was using an extension cord to bypass the fact that, by code, there shouldn't be any receptacle not protected by a ground fault circuit interrupting device near a bathtub.. then yea, Darwin Award.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

That's what you get for buying an iPhone.

no sympathy from mmo-c, thats how it should be he's 32, you know how it fucking works, don't put electrical shit near water, especially water you're currently bathing in.