Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    A reboot/remake shouldn't happen, but they could go Harry Potter route with Fantastic Beast and show a previous version of Neo. They could also go Star Wars route and show how the Matrix came to be.
    I think this sums it up well.
    It does not require a rehash, but can simply be another story.
    One we didn't see.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Yeah, that'd be fine by me. Especially since most who saw the movie know that The One came back a few different times, so you don't need a Keanu copy to play the part.

Yeah I covered this in a post already. Neo was the 6th incarnation of The One

One less Warner Bros film I won't be watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Yeah, have you ever watched Animatrix? It shows the basic outline of what happened, would be pretty sweet to see it in full.
    Like this poster said, the Animatrix was a good glimpse into the "world" of The Matrix. I even liked the Enter the Matrix Playstation 2 game, which had like "extra clips" following Niobe (Jada Pinkett Smith) and Ghost. Even the Matrix MMO had real potential.

I also liked the 2nd and 3rd movies too, but I guess it wasn't for most. To me, they were a passable representation of the philosophical process: Thesis vs. Antithesis, leading to Synthesis. The first movie was all about freeing oneself from external control, which resonates powerfully, especially in the West. I think the 2nd movie had more Eastern themes, especially the idea that freedom from control was an illusion - that things were fated and inescapable. Then the third movie was the synthesis of West vs. East, how one can be free even while in chains, the kind of theme you see in old slave stories, and the story of Jesus the Christ, represented ultimately by freeing oneself from the ultimate control in our lives, Death.

Man, now I need to re-read Simulacra and Simulation.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    One less Warner Bros film I won't be watching.
    ..Wait.. so you will be watching it?

15+ Year Old Account
    The Matrix universe is fertile ground for new stories, but talking about making more movies when they don't even have a story in mind sets off huge red flags for me.

Deleted
    Big red flags going off for me, the first matrix is really good because it came out of the 90s and the digital age was just beginning and quite magical in many ways.

Idk if this reboot will just try to tell new stories but also be philosophical about it. It's hard, so hard the wachowskis failed in many regards to their own sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    How about we quit rebooting things that are fine and come up with original ideas? Or is Hollywood past that now?
    Less risk envolved. Hollywood is all about profit. They are all that's wrong with cinema culture.
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

Quote Originally Posted by Guyv3r View Post
    Less risk envolved. Hollywood is all about profit. They are all that's wrong with cinema culture.
    No, they aren't. First of all, they ARE cinema culture as most people (especially americans) know it. Second of all, of COURSE it's about money, you try dish out hundreds of millions of dollars with no concern for profit and see how many movies you get to make before the bank kicks down your door.

Hollywood are all about profit, and profit is something you get from consumers. Which means that if reboots and sequels make more money than original stuff (which they do with few exceptions), the consumers are to blame for spending their cinema-money watching stuff they are familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    This is going to be such a great movie - I know it, you know it, we all know it

I honestly have no idea what they could attempt to do that wasn't already covered in the previous... but that's just me
    With Zak Penn writing the script I already know it will be total shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    No, they aren't. First of all, they ARE cinema culture as most people (especially americans) know it. Second of all, of COURSE it's about money, you try dish out hundreds of millions of dollars with no concern for profit and see how many movies you get to make before the bank kicks down your door.

Hollywood are all about profit, and profit is something you get from consumers. Which means that if reboots and sequels make more money than original stuff (which they do with few exceptions), the consumers are to blame for spending their cinema-money watching stuff they are familiar with.
    They ARE NOT cinema culture. They are maybe 30% of it. If Americans only know Hollywood movies that's their fault.

The rest of your post is spinning the wheel around what i said with the same point.
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

10+ Year Old Account
    I am in the minority when I say I never liked the original movie to begin with. Also its aged so badly lol
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I'm fine with big money-making trash because it allows them to take risks on smaller pictures, which then get derided by the same people who hate reboots as "Oscar bait."

Y'all's hate on remakes is like hating on blue chip stocks so you can gamble on some futures and not fuck yourself completely if you lose.

Now, there's always a critical look to be had at cynical cash grabs on beloved franchises (c.f. Ghostbusters) or making trash to keep the rights (c.f. Fan Four Stic), but I'm not automatically opposed to remakes in general.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I'm fine with big money-making trash because it allows them to take risks on smaller pictures, which then get derided by the same people who hate reboots as "Oscar bait."

Y'all's hate on remakes is like hating on blue chip stocks so you can gamble on some futures and not fuck yourself completely if you lose.

Now, there's always a critical look to be had at cynical cash grabs on beloved franchises (c.f. Ghostbusters) or making trash to keep the rights (c.f. Fan Four Stic), but I'm not automatically opposed to remakes in general.
    This. Reboots don't bother me at all. Shitty reboots bother me tremendously, however. And that being said, just based on who's writing the screenplay, I'll likely be logging this one as shitty.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Thing is though the war between the humans and the machines never really ended did it? It was just a cease fire so we could have a continuation of the story if they wanna go there.

I personally think they should just leave the Matrix alone and leave it be but lets be real if there is money to be made you better believe it will be done.

Dont reboot classics, enjoy, cherish, move on, write/direct/act your own.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

The machine war ended because Neo destroyed Smith for the machines, something they couldn't seem to do themselves. I think he kind of incorporated himself into their system, too, as sort of a watch dog, to see that they kept the peace.

Everything gets a reboot cause riding coattails is easier than coming up with new ideas. It should have stopped with the first movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by supertigerlamp View Post
    It's their contention that if you remake something that is already popular, it's a safer bet than investing in and introducing something completely knew and unknown, particularly when that seems to be very hit and miss. For every Harry Potter and The Matrix that were mega hits there are multiple "failures" like Eragon and Jupiter Ascending.
    Jupiter Ascending could have been epic. Start by replacing the shit actor that plays the whispering villain and Channing Tatum. It tried too hard to be 5th Element.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    The Matrix universe is fertile ground for new stories, but talking about making more movies when they don't even have a story in mind sets off huge red flags for me.
    Definitely this. The ideas and world set up in The Matrix was pretty interesting. But like most reboots, it's not being done because someone really wants to delve into those ideas in a way that the first movie (not plural, trying to pretend the last 2 didn't exist) didn't - its being done because money. Which is fine, I agree with the poster who said that doing these kinds of things generally does allow studios to do some lower budget different kinds of movies. But as much as I enjoyed the first movie, this is going to have to be a "wait for it to come out, read reviews, and then probably wait to watch at home" for me.

"The writer implies it will not be a reboot but rather a brand new story." - there is hope.