Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is there a feasible way Med'an could be implemented as a good character?

While Med'an isn't the Guardian of Tirisfal, we do know from Afrasiabi that Med'an is still a cannon character.

My question is, is there anyway Blizz could introduce Med'an in-game without him completely sucking or being a massive Mary Sue?

Personally I'm alright with him being an orc/draenei/human, but they should just retcon him as belonging to one specific class. Maybe make him a mage and tone down his combat abilities that way you could make him some sort of apprentice of Khadgar. That's just my opinion and how they could make Med'an suck a lot less if he was implemented in-game.

EDIT Without him being killed off!
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2017-03-18 at 02:29 PM.

Yes. He can.

As a corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    Yes. He can.

As a corpse.
    Damn.

I was gonna say that.

The only way he could be introduced with a positive reception would be if he died immediately.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess he could be a thing when it's time to start fighting Sargeras or the Void Lords directly. Just imagine, to fight something that cleaves planets in half and there's a lowly gnome backstabbing the everliving shit out of him.

Medan could fit in those fights just fine, in my opinion.

As a reaction to OP's edit: He can be killed of screen and put into the game as a ghost unable to do shit

10+ Year Old Account
    Have him be lost in time and space.

his very existence is terrible. Garona and Medivh being lovers has no precedence in the lore and all sorts of unfortunate implications.

I honestly liked the movie version better where Medivh is implied to be Garona's father and kind of wish they had gone with that in chronicles.

As mentioned above, either as a corpse xD

or retconned in a way.

Just like Zabra Hexx was retconned to be shadow priest, and not troll that vields holy magic.

Med'an could be just a draenei priest or mage, and he could be a small character that is not involved in anything big.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

7+ Year Old Account
    only if we end up throwing him into the deepest and darkest parts of the void.

- - - Updated - - -

intentionally

without him turning evil or corrupted or some shit.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    The answer is no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I think the character of Med'an is intrinsically flawed in a way that makes the developers loath to bring him into the game proper, and makes the playerbase (at least those who are aware of Med'an in the first place) equally reticent to see him appear. A lot of people throw around the charge of "Mary Sue" in a cynical or improper fashion - using it as an epithet to tar characters they personally dislike for whatever reason, either because the character is popular in the opposing faction or just out of plain old distaste. Med'an, though; he's one of the few characters I think truly deserves the label. Child of two major lore characters, combining all the merits of multiple races without even a hint of flaws, and given a great and powerful destiny by dint of his birthright alone without doing anything to earn such accolades. He goes own to insinuate himself into one of the greatest groups within the story and seems almost unnaturally welded to powerful and venerated characters who previously stood on their own quite fine.

Med'an epitomizes everything wrong about the Mary Sue type of character - a character whose presence should be avoided in any work of fiction.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Yes. If he and thrall make a baby together and that child becomes the new abomination everybody hates. Then we'll forget about Med'an.

Deleted
    He would automatically make any current "mary sue" look like the work of God in term of perfection.

So I would say introducing him would greatly benefit the story and characters.

I honestly don't see much problem with him other than his parents. You could keep him as Garona but remove Medivh if it really bothers people but in all honesty, the idea he's a complete mary aue... Aren't they meant to be like nobodies who without like training and all that jazz have that have awesome capabilities. Sorry but Medivh is his father. Like Aegwynn [his grandmother] gave birth to Medivh who turned out to be awesome and a successor in Guardian, Medivh's son would surely come out with that awesomeness too in one way or another, think Me'dan would be more of a laughing stock chaarcter if a son of a guardian was a complete dolt. So doesn't 100% follow it when you take in account of the generations. However, it can be a bit much and full-on with the power levels in game. Cause conflict with Khadgar so removing it would allow to a make a better character overall. They have the capability and can retcon and resource him to something better really. Yes he is like a wonder boy before being shelved but not to be funny wasn't other characters under the same guise? Born but then when they grew they become wonder boys/girls themselves?

I think he deserves something but with a retcon and added. You have other half-breeds in game really now, Rexxar, Arathor and so on therefore he's not new to that but he could be a good vice for like an Alliance/Horde friction if it comes round again as a fore-front story (and I mean more so than the Legion thing at the moment).
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2017-03-18 at 09:13 PM.

If he can't be good ... make him bad. Think of it, an evil Mary Sue.

He has all the powers in the magical realms except Fel and Shadow..I think I think. He was part of the new council of Tirsfal and even Medivh had to travel to learn of all the magical schools which explains the wide library of Arcane and magical relics from all over the world so what would happen if this young impressionable master wizard met someone as seductive mesmerizing and manipulative as Queen Azshara who promised him the knowledge he needed to defeat N'Zoth if she followed her. She then could have her own lovesick mindslave who would kill anyone who opposed her

Enter a Guardian Class Orcish Sorceror with the power to bring Ny'thola up from the Depths. A Betrayer of the Light, Slayer of the Shadows, and a Master of All forms of Magic Nature and Arcane out to do what his father ... even Sargeras couldn't do. Claim the Power locked in the World Soul's Vault for his own and make his beloved a True Titan GOD by sacrificing the Sleeping Titan Azeroth to N'Zoth. All so he can impress his new fiance... Queen Azshara.

Win or lose he ends up dead, but damn the damage he could do, the hate he could generate every time he kills someone you care about. What a glorious death that would be.
    Last edited by Lastlivingsoul; 2017-03-19 at 12:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When we meet him it turns out that his life and adventures were...embellished. It was decided by a select few individuals that Azeroth needed a heroic figure to look up to, and they found it in Med'an. He was born of three worlds and carried the blood of human, orc, and draenei. Both the Horde and Alliance could be united under the inspiration of his heroic deeds. So...they made all of it up. Med'an didn't want any of his parents' legacy, he just wanted to vanish. So while he lived in isolation, word of his 'adventures' spread across Azeroth. No one cared. Most people saw Medivh and Garona as traitors, no one knew of their respective redemptions. Eventually, the secret group gave up on the idea, and Khadgar, their leader, decided to carry Atiesh openly, claiming Med'an had retired it while he went in search of new adventures, all the while Med'an sit peacefully, hidden deep in the Blades Edge Mountains on Outlands, far from prying eyes.

They could make him decent by retconning almost everything and creating a completely new story for the character. Which would still cause a huge outrage as soon as people saw the name "Med'an."

It's easier to just create a new character.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    While Med'an isn't the Guardian of Tirisfal, we do know from Afrasiabi that Med'an is still a cannon character.

My question is, is there anyway Blizz could introduce Med'an in-game without him completely sucking or being a massive Mary Sue?

Personally I'm alright with him being an orc/draenei/human, but they should just retcon him as belonging to one specific class. Maybe make him a mage and tone down his combat abilities that way you could make him some sort of apprentice of Khadgar. That's just my opinion and how they could make Med'an suck a lot less if he was implemented in-game.

EDIT Without him being killed off!
    Well they could just put him in and try to forget the past as much as possible. Just treat him like Khadgar and just start all over: He is a strong mage, has connection to the guardians, but that is pretty much all we get to know about his past and then we start all over with him being a heroic character. Maybe make him a bit less active then Khadgar so that you don't really have to make him completly powerless.

But to be completly honest.... We don't need more spellcasters as heroes!!!! I am already getting tired of Khadgar... He has have had too much time in the spotlight and i am getting bored of his constant blabbering. We should really just kill him off already and either get the faction leaders in again as story-leaders, or maybe get Wrathion back into the game as the leader of a new playerbased faction..... I really hope we kill Khadgar in 7.3....
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastlivingsoul View Post
    If he can't be good ... make him bad. Think of it, an evil Mary Sue.
    He already is this..... or Mary Sue... so you want him more annoying that he already is? You want him to be the deadpool of the WOW universe?

He'd just be another mary sue like Illidan and Anduin. We need less, not more.