Page 20 of 68 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    In the real world, we already punish people for saying the wrong things. This dates back way before alt-righters decided it was apparently hip to say the most disgusting things known to humanity and tried to brainwash people into buying it.

Good thing for them, and bad for the rest of the peace loving folks, there were enough people who thought the same way as them. Certainly, for fascists, the world would be a paradise if it were a place that tolerated their ideals, or lack thereof.
    Not sure if you are being serious or trying to be some type of Satire.
    You sound like you are one of those "old" people who think rock and roll music will brain wash the kids to be evil or in more recent times rap music and it's lyrics would cause people to be bad..etc

You remind me of the saying "in the future Fascist people will claim to be against fascism" .

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vellius5 View Post
    i'd just like to know why all the comedians who strive on being as 'shocking' as possible don't just do material about how the banks got away with causing the financial crisis, or how we americans enjoy an absurd standard of living that is supported by legions of third world factory workers in near-slave conditions and could fall apart at any moment due to crumbling infrastructure and gross political instability, or anything other than just hopping on stage and making low effort jokes at the expense of the same people who are /always/ easy targets for jokes: women and minorities.

like, the last election alone should be enough to fuel years of shocking material about how the world's largest global hegemony somehow managed to elect a rich, blatantly fraudulent reality tv personality because he was a 'man of the people', but nah, let's just make jokes about how women are noisy.
    You're probably fun to be around.

Do yourself a favor and never attend amateur comedy nights.

The performers have enough to worry about (insecurities, performance anxiety, etc.) The last thing they'd need is someone like you splitting hairs with their material.

Newsflash: A lot of people don't care about what they don't experience on a day to day basis. The banks, third-world, and whatever political/geopolitical situation you want tied into a joke aren't a part of their everyday experience. A performer wouldn't be able to appear relatable to an audience barring something very recent and impactful on day-to-day lives (which is something you see all the time in stand-up comedy, so you have no idea what you're talking about)
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2017-03-18 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Apologies are free, bad PR cost money. Apologies can negate bad PR and make it so people will still do business with you since you saved face. Not that complex of an idea. As I already linked, a smart business person swallows their pride even if they did nothing wrong and does whats best for their business.

Business and people have been called out on bullshit reason since forever. This isn't a new concept it's just more prominent with the internet.
    This is obviously the working hypothesis. My counter would be that the people feigning outrage aren't likely to be much of the market and have little impact on the market. When no one actually did anything wrong, I think apologizing for doing nothing wrong is much more harmful than just not bothering.

7+ Year Old Account
    'Regressive left' is just the new name for social engineers. The scourge that has been plaguing us for far too long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apologies are free, bad PR cost money. Apologies can negate bad PR and make it so people will still do business with you since you saved face. Not that complex of an idea. As I already linked, a smart business person swallows their pride even if they did nothing wrong and does whats best for their business.

Business and people have been called out on bullshit reason since forever. This isn't a new concept it's just more prominent with the internet.
    The only people getting bad PR are Kinda Funny for how they handled it/apologized on his behalf/didn't have his back.

Colin has received backing to start his own political commentary network on YouTube...

So the attempts to destroy his career by SJWs has backfired spectacularly... His career is booming and the liberals (I wouldn't call them SJWs) who disavowed him and apologized at Kinda Funny are receiving a ton of criticism and lost business.

If it were me, I would have come out and said, "I am sorry that so many of you can't take a simple joke, it sorrows me that so few of you have a sense of humor. It was a joke get over it"

There is a huge difference between someone making a joke, and someone making a malicious statement. People on the extremes need to recognize the difference, and not let everything get to them.

Quote Originally Posted by vellius5 View Post
    i'd just like to know why all the comedians who strive on being as 'shocking' as possible don't just do material about how the banks got away with causing the financial crisis, or how we americans enjoy an absurd standard of living that is supported by legions of third world factory workers in near-slave conditions and could fall apart at any moment due to crumbling infrastructure and gross political instability, or anything other than just hopping on stage and making low effort jokes at the expense of the same people who are /always/ easy targets for jokes: women and minorities.

like, the last election alone should be enough to fuel years of shocking material about how the world's largest global hegemony somehow managed to elect a rich, blatantly fraudulent reality tv personality because he was a 'man of the people', but nah, let's just make jokes about how women are noisy.
    One name: Lewis Black. Two actually: Lewis Black and Christopher Titus. No, wait, three: Lewis Black, Christopher Titus, and Bill Burr. Just off the top of my head. I'm positive that there are plenty more.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    But the problem is we have morons on the far right that thinks standing for things like public healthcare and free education makes you a communist regressive libtard on these forums and elsewhere, and when we have those views being put on us constantly, just for standing up for what is already in place in every country in the western hemisphere.

Really thats how out of the main stream we are that 65-70% of the US population wants these things as well.
    The problem is that there are people on both sides where if you walk up to them and they are of Group A and say "Hello, I am of Group B", whatever comes out of your mouth next is wrong, even if its something like "Water is wet."
    Its the general attitude of "MY way is RIGHT, YOUR way is WRONG. You are stupid because you think differently than I do. I am now going to shout at you to drown out your opinion, because I refuse to have a discussion, entertain a different viewpoint, or concede even the slightest ground even if I am shown to be clearly demonstrably incorrect."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    If you think you should be protected from those reactions, then you are just as much a baby needing a safe space as those you criticize.
    Yes, thinking people should be protected from libel and overt character assassination means I am a baby, well done.

Deleted
    People are allowed to make mistakes, but if you make them fess up to them even it wasn't your intention. He does business in a highly competitive professional industry, and bad press hurts your bottom line. So don't say stupid crap on twitter, and if you do apologize immediately even if you feel you don't have too.

Hell look at the reverse with Samantha Bee, (Hate her by the way). She's a paid comedian who did a satirical show and because she made an applicable nazi reference with young white nationalist she picked on a cancer patient. Why you might ask? because one person who was caught on camera for less than 5 seconds had cancer so she fawked up???

Really it was a mistake, they deleted the tweet and apologized. They didn't need to, but to stay professional they did. Now that event isn't even a thing, and no one was fired or had to quite.
    Firstly, she implied a bunch of people were nazis on account of their haircuts. If you think that's professional in the first place and they were "staying professional" you're deluded. The fact is that if she was targeting any other group of people with that kind of vitriol there would be a brigade calling for her head to roll. She then managed to include a stage 4 brain cancer patient into the whole thing which just made it incredibly tasteless. It wasn't a good joke to begin with.

Oddly enough though, I feel that it unfolded the way it should. She did some unprofessional shit, some people got upset, life moved on. Just like it should've with Colin Moriarty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If his joke doesn't hurt anyone, then him being called a sexist doesn't hurt him back. Works both ways, really.

I'll acknowledge that that's stupid. That make you happy?

Pointing out that he made a sexist remark, and him getting pushed out of his job because his employer takes issue with it, isn't an infringement of this guy's rights. If he doesn't want to get fired for making sexist remarks, he's free to not make them.

You realize it's you folks pushing a victim narrative, here, right? Please tell me you're at least that self-aware.
    He wouldn't have had to leave his job if there wasn't a brigade of professionally offended people calling for his head to roll though. That many of them were doing so because there were headlines running saying he was a racist scumbag doesn't really help. His employer doesn't even need to be against him or anything he said, but they look calmly at the smear that's being run against him and realize they don't have a ton to gain by supporting him but a lot to lose by doing so. Let people say stupid shit, let them take the consequences for it, but maybe don't go crusading to people employers calling for their lives to be ruined over words.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    I think it depends on whether or not weapons are allowed or its a strict free-for-all-no-weapons brawl.
    What would that change? the regressive men are effeminate lanky males who reject masculinity as its viewed toxic, evil and unnecessary, these are people who think being fit is one of the evils of the patriarchy.

have you not watched any of the protest videos in the last two years?

It's not "I beat my wife for looking at me" sexist, but making a sexist joke isn't "okay" just because you're trying to be funny.
    This kind of thinking will leave the comedy world with nothing but knock knock jokes.

"Orange you glad I didn't say banana?".

Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    One name: Lewis Black. Two actually: Lewis Black and Christopher Titus. No, wait, three: Lewis Black, Christopher Titus, and Bill Burr. Just off the top of my head. I'm positive that there are plenty more.
    Lenny Bruce and George Carlin are others.

Was this overblown, particularly since it was some nobody youtube celebrity? Yes. Should he have been smart enough not to say stupid things, particularly in this political climate? Yes. I feel no sympathy for this loser.

People who thought that joke was offensive beyond a casual sweeping jab at women are a problem. If your sense of humor is so bad you don't see the humor in that joke then there's no help for you.

Plz papa Trump save us.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    ...The tweet created so much outrage that other founders of Kinda Funny were coming out against him due to the outcry of whiny crybabies like Endus. He resigned, sure, great. But don't you sit there and pretend his resignation was a foregone conclusion. That wasn't on the table until his dumbass joke.
    The guy said a sexist joke. He refused to apologize, then he resigned.
    So, for you actions dont have consequences? Its ok if you think sexist things, but if you say them on the public, expect backlash

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Talvindius View Post
    People who thought that joke was offensive beyond a casual sweeping jab at women are a problem. If your sense of humor is so bad you don't see the humor in that joke then there's no help for you.

Plz papa Trump save us.
    Sexist jokes may be fun, but are still demeaning to women/sexual minorities. If you say them, expect backlash and dont whine when it comes
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talvindius View Post

Plz papa Trump save us.

Joke didn't offend me. I even thought it was a little funny

Yet, it isn't hard to see how it is a sexist joke. 2 words and the guy could have kept his job with no issues. He decided his job wasn't worth it, thats on him not anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Well, his comment WAS blatantly sexist.

He needs to own that, not whine about how unfair it is that people rightly pointed it out as the sexist remark that it was.

And yeesh, people, for folks who get so upset about people being "triggered" by an indirect sweeping insult like this, your getting upset is the same kind of triggering. It just has a lot less merit, since you're upset that a sexist was identified as a sexist, based on a sexist remark he made in public and won't retract or apologize for.
    Except nothing about that comment is sexist.

If people did the reverse for #adaywithoutmen no one would care.

Just because you get offended doesnt mean something is offensive. No where in his comment did he say women are bad, the most you could assume is that women are loud and move around a lot.

I thought it was funny. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    They'd love Frankie Boyle ^^
    The mermaid joke is just tops.