Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    "A coroner ruled his death was accidental"

- - - Updated - - -

I think the point is people don't think a phone has enough power to cause death and thus forget about the risk
    Isnt your electric 240 volts? Taking that your heart is lethal. If the phone wasnt plugged in a socket then sure it probably wouldn't kill you? When you drop any appliance plugged into a socket into a bath and you are in it then you are asking for it. The iphone didn't electrocute him. The article is misleading.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2017-03-18 at 04:30 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    The iphone didn't electrocute him.
    Pretty much. The extension cord had to have come in contact with him or the water. A cell phone charger has a transformer built into the plug and typically carries no more than 12 volts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Darwin strikes again. I'm sorry, but I have zero sympathy for people who do stupid shit like this.

Water + Electricity = Bad. You learn this fact very early in life.
    Dilbert got it right years ago:

Mr Bull is believed to have plugged his charger into an extension cord from the hallway and rested it on his chest while using the phone, the Sun reports.
    I lol'd. How did this even make "news"?

Deleted
    In this thread: Too many people don't know what Darwinism means or what transformers do or what voltage phone chargers run at.

10+ Year Old Account
    "A coroner ruled his death was accidental"

- - - Updated - - -

I think the point is people don't think a phone has enough power to cause death and thus forget about the risk
    "The phone" isn't what has the power. The charger is PLUGGED INTO THE WALL.
    Sucks to be him I guess, Darwin strikes again.

Does it mention anything about the guy having GFI outlets in his bathroom? I thought those were required nowadays?

Edit: Ahhh thats right, he had an extension cord plugged into the hallway (lol)
    Last edited by Phookah; 2017-03-18 at 05:33 PM.

This is definitely classed as a Darwin award, its unfortunate the guy died, but fucking seriously, the stupidity.

However, what I find pisses me off the most

A coroner ruled his death was accidental and plans to send a report to Apple about taking action to prevent future death
    I mean, like what in the actual fuck. Seriously, what? I literally have no words for this, but it makes me angry

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    I lol'd. How did this even make "news"?
    Mr Bull is believed to have plugged his charger into an extension cord from the hallway and rested it on his chest while using the phone, the Sun report
    "The Sun"

In-case your not from the UK, we have a bunch of newspapers that like to distort, bend and be completely biased in their articles when something news worth comes along, if it'll cause controversy and sell papers. When there isn't enough going on in the world, they quite often find random things like this just to shove in there.

Funny enough, last week I was prepping a fire and used their paper, it had a article about Emma Watson wanting to finish as a actress after beauty and the beast. This reporter then proceeded to rip her a new one essentially about being a stuck up bitch because she wanted to do something else. Completely uncalled most of what was reported and I sat there like, I don't really give a flying fuck about this, but how can a editor allow this to go out

Darwin never said "stupid people should die".

Hitler did, but instead, he kills Jewish people who are very smart.

See the contradiction here?

That's hilarious. People are idiots, but at least they sometimes offer entertainment for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Darwin strikes again. I'm sorry, but I have zero sympathy for people who do stupid shit like this.

Water + Electricity = Bad. You learn this fact very early in life.
    People fuck up, they make mistakes. You're an asshole.

Well, so long as I can still microwave my hot pockets while watching TV in the bath, I guess I can suffer through not being able to charge my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    But how could he die ? i thought its just a myth to die in the bathtub since you got a fuse for this situition.
    He bypassed a GFCI which would have kept him alive, but instead he used a standard extension cord from his hallway which isn't GFCI protected and probably not AFCI protected as well depending on the ago of the building. Also people need to realize it's not the voltage that kills you, it's the amperage that kill combined with enough voltage. Seriously if this guy plugged it into a GFCI it would have tripped and he'd be alive.
    Last edited by Iamanerd; 2017-03-18 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Darwin never said "stupid people should die".

Hitler did, but instead, he kills Jewish people who are very smart.

See the contradiction here?
    Darwin Awards

Darwin Award winners eliminate themselves in an extraordinarily idiotic manner, thereby improving our species' chances of long-term survival.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Darwin Award is simply a name, it doesn't imply anything about Darwin's actual theories. Understand?
    If they misuse his name and theories that encourage the mongoloid masses to mouth off then it's going to get some criticism.

The irony is that some of these people winning the "darwin awards" have traits that increase their chances to breed in todays society and win at Darwins original theory.
    Q.E.D Idiocracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    "The Sun"

In-case your not from the UK, we have a bunch of newspapers that like to distort, bend and be completely biased in their articles when something news worth comes along, if it'll cause controversy and sell papers. When there isn't enough going on in the world, they quite often find random things like this just to shove in there.

Funny enough, last week I was prepping a fire and used their paper, it had a article about Emma Watson wanting to finish as a actress after beauty and the beast. This reporter then proceeded to rip her a new one essentially about being a stuck up bitch because she wanted to do something else. Completely uncalled most of what was reported and I sat there like, I don't really give a flying fuck about this, but how can a editor allow this to go out
    The BBC was the report in OPs link and both the sun and Emma are morons.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    First of all who takes fucking baths, have a shower this isn't the victorian times.
    What? Not sure if you're smarter than the guy from the first post. Taking baths is a victorian stuff now? I can't even comprehend what you just said.

Deleted
    I am not surprised to see this happen.
    I am even less surprised that out of all smartphone users the darwin awards go to the IPhone users.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I read this as he had the extension cord on his chest. The electricity flowing into the extension is the same as as if you licked a plug.

I don't think he would have died if his phone fell into the water while plugged in. The whole extension cord fell in.

Exactly this, its a case of Darwin Award. Not much else to it.

I think he puts both the charger which has 110volts cable in it, and iPhone on his chest.

This is different from touch a 110 volts outlet.
    It is safe as long as your shoes have good isolation.

You cannot expect too much from someone who buys iPhone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    What? Not sure if you're smarter than the guy from the first post. Taking baths is a victorian stuff now? I can't even comprehend what you just said.
    get with the times, Florence.