Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    If they misuse his name and theories that encourage the mongoloid masses to mouth off then it's going to get some criticism.

The irony is that some of these people winning the "darwin awards" have traits that increase their chances to breed in todays society and win at Darwins original theory.
    Q.E.D Idiocracy.

The BBC was the report in OPs link and both the sun and Emma are morons.
    I thought it was, should of checked, but someone else mentioned the sun,

The story didn't matter in my example, it was the first one to come to my head, regardless what she is or isnt, the article was extremely biased and just plain cruel, which it shouldn't be, a critque yes, a bull no

Pretty stupid to do.
    Last edited by Moratori; 2017-03-18 at 11:44 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    First of all who takes fucking baths, have a shower this isn't the victorian times.
    Second, if you can't put your phone down for 10 minutes you are a twat.
    I take baths whenever I have the opportunity to do so, because it is much more relaxing than (only) taking a shower. I also generally use my phone while sitting in the bathtub to either watch or play something. Guess that makes me a victorian times twat then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    First of all who takes fucking baths, have a shower this isn't the victorian times.
    Second, if you can't put your phone down for 10 minutes you are a twat.

I'd hate to become a retard stat like 'number of people electricuted in baths'.
    Fun fact: taking a bath uses far less water than a shower and is thus better for the environment
    Besides that, chilling in a bath and adding new hot water every half an hour and reading a news paper is an awesome way to idle away a boring sunday afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Isnt your electric 240 volts? Taking that your heart is lethal. If the phone wasnt plugged in a socket then sure it probably wouldn't kill you? When you drop any appliance plugged into a socket into a bath and you are in it then you are asking for it. The iphone didn't electrocute him. The article is misleading.
    It's the ampere that kills, not the volt. 30 mA through the heart means you can die. 30 mA through other parts of the body can produce severe pain, cramping and burns.
    Last edited by Moratori; 2017-03-18 at 11:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well hope he did not pass down his genes.

The part that annoys me the most is that someone's sending a report to Apple so they can "prevent this from happening again."

Hate to break it to folks, BUT YA CAN'T FIX STUPID!

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    The part that annoys me the most is that someone's sending a report to Apple so they can "prevent this from happening again."

Hate to break it to folks, BUT YA CAN'T FIX STUPID!
    There are warnings on hair dryers, to not stick them in any orifice.

Most people just aren't going to do that by default, having never read the warning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    "A coroner ruled his death was accidental"

- - - Updated - - -

I think the point is people don't think a phone has enough power to cause death and thus forget about the risk
    He had a fucking extension cord resting on his chest while taking a bath. I'm pretty sure the phone becomes irrelevant at that point. Darwinism indeed.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    People fuck up, they make mistakes. You're an asshole.
    Oh come on, putting a fucking power cord in the bath with you is as stupid as putting your cat in the microwave to dry it off.
    It isn't a mistake, its downright fucking idiotic.

For people who are completely oblivious:

darwinawards.com

Relevant:
    from 0 to 0:20
    Last edited by Lollis; 2017-03-19 at 12:53 AM.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    We should pickit big electric for providing unsafe power.
    Edison already tried that against Tesla. Tesla won. (not the car company.)

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hypermode View Post
    Fun fact: taking a bath uses far less water than a shower and is thus better for the environment
    Besides that, chilling in a bath and adding new hot water every half an hour and reading a news paper is an awesome way to idle away a boring sunday afternoon
    He was referring to the fact that it's not very hygienic. The impact to "the environment" is, at best, negligible. Especially when weighed against washing oneself in ass-water. The rare times I do "soak" to relax, I only soak then follow it with a proper shower.

"A coroner ruled his death was accidental"

- - - Updated - - -

I think the point is people don't think a phone has enough power to cause death and thus forget about the risk
    Phones have fucking acid in their batteries. Shit's dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    That's what you get for buying an iPhone.
    that made me lol
    mr pickles

Deleted
    Apparently he was careless

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Hmm, that's depends on more than just skin doesn't it. But yes 3 volt is rather low although i was always made to believe it's the amperage that determines how much harm it actually does.
    Yeah, amperage does most of the damage, but that only matters if it's somehow limited on purpose, like in a taser. Then the voltage doesn't matter and you can survive 100kV.
    However, in most cases it isn't, so most electric devices operate on an amperage which is way more than the lethal 20mA, but they use lower voltage so they are not that dangerous.
    And most things that use higher voltage and amperage should be grounded, so in case of a short circuit, the energy will flow to the ground instead through you, since the ground wire has less resistance than you skin. People get killed in cases where the circuit between the hot wire and the ground is closed through them, which only happens when there is no path with lower resistance for the energy to flow, and if the voltage is high enough to bypass skin resistance and close the circuit.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-03-19 at 08:40 AM.

Meanwhile Samsung users are like...I wasn't even in the tub!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    It's the amperage that kills, but you still need sufficient voltage to overcome the body's resistance for the amperage to even begin to matter though.

In any case, this is a prime contender for this year's Darwin Award indeed. Not putting mains connections anywhere near a bath is hammered into practically every child, and if not you had stupid parents. Period. It's among the most basic "how to stay alive" rules on Earth.
    If this was the US, standard building codes would have saved him from this, as all bathroom outlets are code to be GFI. The lab coat dudes already solved this problem. Just sayin...

Well it doesn't, so they would be correct. He was burned & electrocuted when the charger, which was plugged into a wall socket, hit the water.

I don't think a lot of people conflate the relative safety of their phone in that environment to the danger of a charger connected to their home's AC in that same environment. That's the behavior of a stupid person, which he was... and now he's a dead person.
    Last edited by shrunken; 2017-03-20 at 09:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Deleted
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

Perhaps a stark reminder for people here
    Why do u want to keep stupid people alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    If this was the US, standard building codes would have saved him from this, as all bathroom outlets are code to be GFI. The lab coat dudes already solved this problem. Just sayin...
    You mean GFCI.
    I am not sure it is fast enough when you throw the plug into a pool of water.
    It is only helpful if you touch it with two fingers.

When someone dies, people always look for a "valid" reason, even may not have one.
    It peaces the mind of the people who are currently living.

The most common one is that "He should own a gun."
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2017-03-20 at 10:31 AM.