Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    How about the colleges themselves eating the costs, or at least some portion thereof? To me, taking in students who wind up not being able to pay back the huge amount of money that they paid for the services of the university is a real black mark on the university. Maybe it's time for schools to stop collecting billions of dollars for students that don't seem to have gotten their money's worth.
    I agree more oversight is definitely an order, schools should have some kind of robust screening process in place to prevent taking in students who are obviously unable to pay it back. Especially if they are signing people up for degress that have few job prospects. Investigations into schools found to have high default rates would be a good idea I feel, find out the root of the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    So, should the government pay for Sally to learn about Feminism and underwater basket-weaving at University of Arizona and get drunk every other day, never show up to class and scrape by with a C- GPA? Then, after college she has no career path and works at Subway? Most taxpayers would rather not pay for it.

Additionally, interest rates are a ratio of risk. Student debt is probably one of the riskiest investments. Why give out student loans at a rate less than other investments when I can invest that capital in an asset with less risk for same rate? You are forcing loaners to be a charity.
    Honestly I think most governments are missing a golden opportunity when it comes to post-secondary loans. What they should do is pay for large amounts of the costs for professions/studies that are actually needed. Like paying for a large chunk of the costs for people to become doctors for example, since doctors are pretty much always in need. It's better to incentivize people to get a useful education rather than punishing those who get a less useful one.
    Last edited by xChurch; 2017-03-18 at 11:36 PM.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps those taking out the loans should think about it before getting themselves that far in debt. Blame them when the tax-payers have to cover for them since the government did NOT make them take the loan. They did so willingly.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr man smith View Post
    Some of you oddly enough seem to make it seem outrageous to expect people to repay loans they take out... it isn't free money we all know that right?
    And some people oddly don't seem to understand that the problem isn't paying the money back, it's having to pay back triple/quadruple/quintuple what you borrowed due to predatory lenders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of you oddly enough seem to make it seem outrageous to expect people to repay loans they take out... it isn't free money we all know that right?
    It's sort of a wonky thing, that takes a few aspects into account.

First, some people are led (often) to believe that getting a degree will somehow plop them into a decent job. Or ANY job at all. Get degree, get good job, pay off debt. But at the end of their degree, they still have to pay off that debt, and sometimes don't have a job, or a decent one, to pay it off.

I'll be graduating in May, myself. I have about a $40,000 loan. I already work full time, so I'm set to pay off my debt as long as nothing catastrophic happens... But that isn't the case for anyone. I had this job before my degree, and could have gotten it without the current education. Am I hoping I might get a raise or other opportunities with the degree? Hopefully. But I'm not banking on it.

Many people go get an education specifically because they don't have a job, or not a good one. It's the whole 'education = job' prospect. Which, while true, isn't a hard and fast thing.

Not only that, but there are fees and whatnot, so people who can't pay get buried.

Of course, there's the people who have a $150,000 loan at some high end school, with payments that cost more than their rent. That.... I have no idea. But usually it's the lower end (10-40k loans) that have problems.

Not only that, but student loans aren't like other loans. You get a loan for a car, you get the car, to go to your job or whatever. You get a loan for a house, you get the house to use, and are building equity. And probably cheaper than renting. you get a loan for education and you literally get nothing out of it for the time you're there, and after. It doesn't really 'get' you anything usable for years, if ever.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

college has just become another big business that is more worried about profits and pay at the top level then students/taxpayers/country.

hell our state is drowning in the benefits, retirement, pensions of our state colleges all the while they continue to use tuition on expansions, raises, sports shit....etc etc etc

Student loans should be regulated for minimal cost coverage and profit.

But the underlying problem of college cost increasing at multiples above inflation is the bigger problem. raising at many multiples above wage increases as well.

Why is it so hard for people to realize that punishing the poor for being poor does no one any good?

And before people jump on my ass, let me explain. Interest on loans? Fine. Being expected to pay back the loan? Mandatory for loans to exist (otherwise they'd be grants). Charging extra fees/penalties because you can't make the payments on top of interest?! That's just adding insult to injury, and makes the likelihood of the lender ever seeing their full investment just go that much more down the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Go Trump! Go Trump! Go Trump!

And to think some people wanted a guy like him in charge of our country, ridiculous.
    He is doing what's best for the country. Coddling college babies that pick a shitty field or make poor choices doesn't help anyone. I have never taken out a loan that I couldn't or had no intentions to repay. If you take a loan then prepare to pay it back. If you don't want to take a loan, then do a trade. Work before you go to school and save the money up first. Jobs are not guaranteed in this world, you have to earn it, or know someone. That's a risk on you. As a taxpayer, it wasn't my decision for you to take that loan out, and I should have no part in paying it back.

10+ Year Old Account
    i didn't even know we had any protections.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i didn't even know we had any protections.
    Thats another problem.

Tons of people either A) Don't know they have protections or B) Work with 'financial aid counselors' who get them into that rut in the first place. They're just salesmen, really.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Thats another problem.

Tons of people either A) Don't know they have protections or B) Work with 'financial aid counselors' who get them into that rut in the first place. They're just salesmen, really.
    mine just got me stuck in a private loan.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

If US politicians did what's best for the country they wouldn't be nearly the worst Western country of all.

Everyone is prepared to pay back loans.
    But sometimes things do not work out as planned, which leaves you with two options:
    a) Get your money and ruin their life.
    b) Get your money and let them have a good life.

Your fucked up mentality is one of the reasons we downgraded your credit rating and the level of your democracy.
    You see a problem and from all the possible choices you always seem to pick the worst one available.
    ... but my credit rating is literally perfect. I've never missed a payment on anything in my life and everyone loves trying to throw money at me. Credit card has a 150k limit..

HOW DO YOU KNOW MY NAME??
    HOW DID YOU RUN MY CREDIT CHECK

AHhhhHHh

After $16 trillion was given away to bail out banks and businesses here and in Europe why the hell didn't you say anything then?

10+ Year Old Account
    When the leader of the free world does not have to pay back 1 billion $$ why should I bother paying off my student loans...
    Just because I don't care does'nt mean I don't understand

I know the voices in my head are not real BUT they have some REALLY good ideas

If US politicians did what's best for the country they wouldn't be nearly the worst Western country of all.

Everyone is prepared to pay back loans.
    But sometimes things do not work out as planned, which leaves you with two options:
    a) Get your money and ruin their life.
    b) Get your money and let them have a good life.

Your fucked up mentality is one of the reasons we downgraded your credit rating and the level of your democracy.
    You see a problem and from all the possible choices you always seem to pick the worst one available.
    I mean we're the worst country in the west but everybody still wants to come here.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Trump just wants to prove he is an enemy to the American people every day.

And to think after he was elected there was a short period of time I tried to delude myself into thinking "It couldn't be that bad right?"
    For me that period lasted from what I heard out of his acceptance speech to when he took a victory tour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    For me that period lasted from what I heard out of his acceptance speech to when he took a victory tour.
    i'll never forget that "we are the champions" music he played when it was confirmed he won the election via electoral college.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    The banks got a bailout. Automotive manufacturers got a bailout. It's time for college students to get a bailout.
    Sorry, only rich people get bailouts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Sorry, only rich people get bailouts.
    Ironically enough while damning the large government that bailed them out. They can to run to congress for money while clutching tight to their copies of atlas shrugged and road to serfdom.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Ironically enough while damning the large government that bailed them out. They can to run to congress for money while clutching tight to their copies of atlas shrugged and road to serfdom.
    wait a minute now. some of them are clutching constitutions and bibles instead!

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Here's how to actually solve the issue: Student loans are null and void until the graduate is working in a field related to his / her degree, with a salary commensurate to the caliber of the degree.
    Or...stop borrowing money you cannot afford to borrow. It was too expensive before you signed on the dotted line.