Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Un'Goro Madness, Drape of Shame Nerf, Upcoming Dev Q&A, Blue Posts, Tweets, WowCraft

The Heroes event that rewards the Primal Flamesaber WoW mount has been extended!

First Look at Patch 2.5.0

Un'Goro, Heroic Brawl, PAX East ONOG, Global Games - Value Town #113

Un'Goro Madness
    Un'Goro Madness allows players to defeat group bosses in Un'Goro Crater to obtain temporary buffs from Dino Mojo. Open your map to see the locations of the bosses that are currently up.

• Adaptation - Become strong, like a dinosaur.
      • Sharp Claws - Damage increased by 3%
      • Bony Carapace - Damage taken decreased by ?%
      • Lightning Speed - Movement speed increased by 3%
      • Massive - Size increased by 4%
    • The buffs listed above stack up to 20 times. Afterwards, you gain stacks of:
      • Awesome - Awesomeness increased by 10%
    • This buff persists through death and lasts for 3 days.

Patch 7.2 - Drape of Shame Nerf
    Drape of Shame will have the effect halved in Patch 7.2.

Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    We've been talking about this one quite a lot. Having a significantly out-of-band item existing on live is always a dilemma. We either nerf it and deflate the players who had the excitement of getting it (or even worse, actively invested a lot of time and effort into getting it), or leave it in place potentially distorting future behavior. And the longer we wait, the worse it gets. So deciding usually relies on the judgment of whether the situation will taper off if we leave it alone (due to higher-level items eventually becoming available), or will get worse somehow.

In the case of Drape of Shame, the base Mythic version would potentially have been acceptable to leave alone once it was live. But the imminent arrival of Mythic Keystone Karazhan was a clear way that this particular problem would rise to a new level if we left it alone. So it was better to make a change now, even at the risk of disappointing some players who have it (they have still gotten to enjoy it for some time throughout the current tier), to avoid re-creating the same problem anew in the next tier.

North American Qualifier Cup Clarification
    We’re still working out the final details needed for the official announcement of the first North American Qualifier Cup, but there’s an important clarification we wanted to share with you now.

The bracket seeding for this first cup will be determined by your end of season rating for Legion PvP Season 2. Remember that there is no rating requirement to sign up, so regardless of the rating your team achieves overall, all teams will still be eligible to compete in the Cup.

Stay tuned for more information - we’ll see you in the Arena!

Live Developer Q&A – Submit Your Questions
    Join us live on Twitch.tv/Warcraft Thursday, March 23, at 11:00 a.m. PDT, as we sit down with Game Designer Ryan Shwayder for our next live developer Q&A where he’ll be answering your patch 7.2 content related questions. Learn more before you return to the Broken Shore!

You can submit your questions here in this thread or on Twitter by using the hashtag #LegionQA.

As a reminder, please keep your questions short (40 words or less) so that we can get to as many questions as possible. We look forward to you joining us live on Thursday!

Blue Posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Tank Balance in the Nighthold
    The situation around Nighthold, tank balance, and magical damage has spawned a lot of discussion for us in recent weeks, ranging from immediate balance concerns to philosophical issues of how magic damage should be used. We do feel that the damage profile in Nighthold caused tanks to be less balanced than we'd like on a handful of encounters.

Abilities like Spell Reflection and Empower Wards are no worse than Mark of Ursol, when fighting a boss that does an occasional large magic attack that threatens to cause a killing spike. In fact, Mark of Ursol is usually weaker, because you trade one activation of Ironfur for it, whereas there's no similar downside to activating Empower Wards. The time this situation is flipped on its head is an encounter like Krosus, who somewhat rarely does a white autoattack but stacks a heavy consistent magical DoT. In this scenario, Mark of Ursol is essentially a free no-cooldown anti-magic "cooldown", and we see this as the largest cause of the current behavior of Guardians in Nighthold.

For the long run, a lot of the feedback on this forum has correctly identified some of the challenges and tradeoffs in how this should be addressed. We do want tanks to have variance in how well they handle different situations, but we also want interesting encounters like Krosus and Etraeus that challenge them on unusual axes, all while not making it feel overly bad for a raid group attempting something with the "wrong" tank. That's something we're going to continue to revise for future tiers of content, but of course that more philosophical discussion won't affect Nighthold.

For the short term, we are not adjusting Guardians in the 7.2 patch because 1) we avoid imposing significant nerfs at this point in a tier to a spec that many people have gotten comfortable completing the content with, and 2) the solution is likely not just a numbers change, but more fundamentally rethinking Mark of Ursol. With that context, the buffs to Protection and Vengeance aren't intended to bring them up to the level of current Guardian, but are intentionally small adjustments to help people who are trying to finish Nighthold now.

As people's focus turns more to Tomb in upcoming months, we welcome any discussion about to what extent people see similar problems arising there, and whether further class changes (beyond reexamining Mark of Ursol) are warranted for long-term balance outside of the specific context of Nighthold.

Something I wasn't clear enough about above: re-evaluating Mark of Ursol would still be before Tomb of Sargeras. Other broad class tuning based on PTR testing and other data closer to that point would also take place as usual, at the start of the new raid. But that's one concrete item we can already mention. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Monk (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    Windwalker Scaling and Weapon DPS
    It is an astute observation that Windwalker has very little scaling with its weapon DPS. It's not something we have a short-term fix for, and we recognize the problem relating to relic choice. Longer-term, it's probably best for us to reevaluate the difference between weapondamage-based attacks and AP-based attacks entirely, and what purpose it serves.

To be clear, being focused mostly on AP-based attacks doesn't impair your overall scaling with ilvl--your AP still increases in the correct proportion as you upgrade all of your items. It just means that weapons make up less of the pie (and armor fills up more of it) for Windwalker compared to other specs. It would be nicer to clean this all up so that weapons were consistently important on all specs, and so that we didn't run into things like the relic choice issue. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Paladin (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    Holy Paladin Playstyle
    Something that I've thought about quite a bit recently has to do with the way Holy Paladins heal versus how Discipline Priests heal. This isn't a post to complain about one or the other, but possibly (hopefully) get some design insight on Holy Paladin specifically.

Holy Paladin was, to my understanding, designed to be more of "Melee healer" in Legion than it ever has been before. This is due to the removal of Denounce, the addition of their new Mastery (Mastery is what makes them heal for more due to proximity, correct?), and the fact that their mastery increases their armor by 30%.

With these things in mind, wouldn't it have made sense to redesign Holy Paladin with a "heal through damage" play style as well? I understand the desire to keep it a "niche play style" with Disc Priest, but I believe it would have been both very cool to make Holy Paladin heal through damage generated via melee and simultaneously fit the class fantasy of the heavily armored bearer of The Light. Personally, I would have been much more gungho to play my Paladin at the launch of Legion had this been the case.

Is there any chance that we might be able to get some insight on why this wasn't the determined play style for Holy Paladins in Legion?

Primarily because we don't want to force people into a playstyle (baseline, without talents) where they have to both target friendly targets to heal and enemy targets to damage, and frequently swap between them. Discipline is built very specifically for people who want that, and is good place to have it because 1) the class has Holy as an alternative and 2) Discipline has historically had a component of that, so a lot of players who want it are already there. But it's a playstyle that's both unusual and complex, and it's not likely to be baked into the core functionality of 2 out of 6 healing specs.

Beacon of the Saviour from Legion Alpha, for example, would have been an amazing addition to support the melee healer playstyle.
    That was the original intent of that talent, and we know some people liked it. We didn't remove it because the concept is totally bad, but that particular design had rotational impacts we weren't happy with (it encouraged a fully all-in DPS rotation, rather than a healer playstyle that got buffs of some sort from DPS abilities). Augmenting your healing through attacks is still something there's room for on the spec when we have the right time and place for it.

In general, where healers do get healing benefits from damage abilities, we're avoiding the classic "smart heal for X% of the damage you deal." We'd rather you still do your healing primarily through making decisions about casting healing spells. That doesn't have to be a strict rule--Avenging Crusader and Way of the Crane are neat designs and could potentially be in PvE as well--but it's one thing we think about. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Warlock (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator / Artifact Calculator / PvP Talent Calculator)
    Reap Souls
    This should not affect Mythic Dungeon bosses--only the start of a raid encounter and the start of an entire Mythic Keystone dungeon. Dungeon runs themselves are meant to be a continuous challenge of combat where managing resources before/after a boss is part of the gameplay.

We're going to monitor whether Affliction needs an overall buff to account for this (even in a patch with few class changes). We still believe it's better to not have the variance between the first attempt at a boss with 12 saved souls, and all future attempts where you feel like you've lost your one chance to do your best damage. Avoiding that sort of pressure is a reason we've generally tried to become more standardized about clearing resources at the start of an encounter for all classes. If the encounter follows a consistent set of rules every time, the spec can be tuned around that behavior, including a spec that, for example, has slower rampup. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Blue Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Should players be holding on to rep tokens or rep reward bags from order hall missions for upcoming 7.2 Paragon reputation?
    There's no reason to do that. Existing reputation tokens will not grant rep beyond exalted. (WarcraftDevs)

WowCraft - Episode 34: TRAMpled
    Another episode of WowCraft has been released!

Last edited by chaud; 2017-03-17 at 09:36 PM.

Drape of shame, they clearly didn't fully understand the issue. It wasn't going to get that much better in M+ modes, the stats are not why it's so good. The effect was the reason why it was so amazing. An 880+ drape isn't dramatically better than a base level one.

Still, happy to see it nerfed, honestly. It just made stuff like legendary cape, tier capes, or any drops you get, pointless or barely an increase at all.

I hope they don't nerf guardian's MoU to the ground, but rather redesign it. Up until Nighthold it was pretty much a joke ability since in 99% of situations it's better to use Ironfur. Letting a few badly designed bosses nerf a lackluster ability is bad practice, and I think Blizzard even said the same thing a few weeks ago.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rioo View Post
    I hope they don't nerf guardian's MoU to the ground, but rather redesign it. Up until Nighthold it was pretty much a joke ability since in 99% of situations it's better to use Ironfur. Letting a few badly designed bosses nerf a lackluster ability is bad practice, and I think Blizzard even said the same thing a few weeks ago.
    Just put a 25 sec CD on it... in the middle ground of warr and DH

Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    Drape of shame, they clearly didn't fully understand the issue. It wasn't going to get that much better in M+ modes, the stats are not why it's so good. The effect was the reason why it was so amazing. An 880+ drape isn't dramatically better than a base level one.

Still, happy to see it nerfed, honestly. It just made stuff like legendary cape, tier capes, or any drops you get, pointless or barely an increase at all.
    I feel like the issue was more along the lines of the cloak eventually not being that valuable anymore when 900+ gear becomes much more readily available. The cloak being able to scale up its item level would only cause problems as its effect would stay the same, yes, but now there would absolutely no reason to not get one. 10% to crit heals is nice, but does it outweigh a 60+ ilvl increase and a permanent dead slot in one of your potential tier pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by Rioo View Post
    Letting a few badly designed bosses nerf a lackluster ability is bad practice, and I think Blizzard even said the same thing a few weeks ago.
    This is basically what is happening with the frost DK leggo helm. The only reason that helm is good is due to the T19 set bonus giving us significantly more HBs to use throughout a fight. The helm itself isn't op, it just pairs exceedingly well with the tier set. Now that t19 is on its way out, the helm will naturally see a decrease in power, but Blizz is nerfing it by half regardless.
    Last edited by Nerokin; 2017-03-17 at 06:00 PM.

"Should players be holding on to rep tokens or rep reward bags from order hall missions for upcoming 7.2 Paragon reputation?
    There's no reason to do that. Existing reputation tokens will not grant rep beyond exalted. (WarcraftDevs)"

Dumb. but hey glad I stopped the sub until I feel like they've added enough content for me to resub!

Who cares about your sub

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshhh View Post
    Who cares about your sub
    I do and my wife and blizzard. I called and asked your mom she said she cared too. She wants you to call her. She misses talking to you about life and how you are doing. Man you really should call your mother more. That sweet old lady really misses you a ton.

I can believe that the woman that carried you for 9 months of her life and then had to push your watermelon sized head through an opening the size of a lemon. Why don't you call her man. She misses you.

Pick up the phone. Give her a call! She misses you!!

15+ Year Old Account
    How long do these buffs last from the dino event? ^ wtf? lol
    DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional and purely for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians, or any other form of entity, living, dead or in any other state of existence, is purely coincidental. The author cannot and will not be held accountable for such similarities or any other parallels that are imagined and/or drawn by you, the reader, between the above fictional work and real life events.

These listing of Adaptations are completely wrong and look more like the buffs the bosses have, not the buffs you get from the items.

There are more dino bosses than listed in your picture, and more buffs from the Dino Mojo. It's worth noting that anyone who tags and kills these dino's gets a Dino Mojo drop. You apply it to someone, and it also applies it to yourself.

But, the main problem with your thing -- it's inaccurate. There's tons of dino's on the map up at different times.

Edit: There was a tar boss called Tar Tyrant in the north, in the middle there was a dragon whose name I forget. Others besides the ones I listed and the three you listed too.

Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post

But see that's the problem. It's not nerfed enough. They should've just removed the effect entirely because whether it's 5% or 10% the effect is drastically better than any other cape right now in the game. I'm speaking for classes that stack crit like my holy paladin. Now that you can do M+, an 885-925 drape is easily gonna beat any other cape, no question.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saafiaxo View Post
    Does anyone even care enough to do these "events"?
    Nope , no achiev , no drops , no care .

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, people that like to do fun things for the sake of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Yeah, people that like to do fun things for the sake of fun.
    ya i like being in combat all the time cause who needs testing
    "We don't need Blizz to nerf the content. We need it to be less terrible." - Totalbiscuit

15k exp for each kill isn't shabby either...

Quote Originally Posted by Feeline10 View Post
    There are more dino bosses than listed in your picture, and more buffs from the Dino Mojo. It's worth noting that anyone who tags and kills these dino's gets a Dino Mojo drop. You apply it to someone, and it also applies it to yourself.

But, the main problem with your thing -- it's inaccurate. There's tons of dino's on the map up at different times.

Edit: There was a tar boss called Tar Tyrant in the north, in the middle there was a dragon whose name I forget. Others besides the ones I listed and the three you listed too.
    That was just a few examples and an example of what the map looks like. I didn't list them all because anything that is up is marked on your map.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    That was just a few examples and an example of what the map looks like. I didn't list them all because anything that is up is marked on your map.
    Fair enough.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pls define fun
    Things that are enjoyable?

10+ Year Old Account
    can i ask what is enjoyable about killing mobs that give nothing of significance in return? i mean, whats the point? why would i waste time flying out there when I can go do relevant content? not being coy just curious lol
    /sigh why you even play this game -_- this game is not designed for you btw