10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Another example of the excellent writing in this game: https://twitter.com/JustonBibero/sta...14897996288002
    Why are you people accusing this of being "bad writing"? There's nothing bad about it at all. You may not like it, and that's fine. You may not think it fits for an epic space soap opera, and that's fine too. But there's nothing wrong with how it's written.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    So, if you think Heir's departure will ease up on the bitching, sorry dude, people will just latch onto another scapegoat to project their insecurities and their sociopathy and move on.
    Yeah, Manveer Heir his clear and overt racist remarks are a byproduct of the sociopathy and insecurity of white gamers. Do you even understand how ridiculously warped you sound?

10+ Year Old Account
    Did the bitching and whining hurled at blizzard magically ended with the departure of Ghostcrawler? He was the default Go-to target to lay blame for EVERY SINGLE ONE perceived flaw with the game (real or imagined). After he left, people just distributed their angst among different targets, but the whining continued.

Before Heir was the default scapegoat, the common target was one of the female writers Jennifer Hepler, who made the apparently unforgivable sin of stating an opinion on an interview..... imagine that. Her controversial opinion? She prefers story-driven games, and wished every game had a difficulty mode that trivialized combat so she could focus entirely on the story.

That completely harmless opinion (as she was not in the development team of any bioware game, just the writing alone) automatically attracted the bitching and whining of an incredibly toxic corner of the internet, who called her among many other things "The Cancer that is Killing Bioware". And harassed her on twitter so much over it, that she not only deleted her twitter account, but left bioware, and left game development altogether when people escalated the whole thing to death threats, and photo-shopping her face on nude pictures and spreading them around on the internet.

All this, just for saying that she wishes all games had an easy-mode for people who are just into the story. No more. No less.

So, if you think Heir's departure will ease up on the bitching, sorry dude, people will just latch onto another scapegoat to project their insecurities and their sociopathy and move on.
    Honestly I would have preferred him to stick around. His lack of brain-mouth-internet connection was a great distraction. Let the trolls focus on a person who obviously isn't bothered in the slightest by them, while everyone else goes about their day jobs.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Why are you people accusing this of being "bad writing"? There's nothing bad about it at all. You may not like it, and that's fine. You may not think it fits for an epic space soap opera, and that's fine too. But there's nothing wrong with how it's written.
    It's objectively horrible and thus badly written. You might think it's excellent dialogue, but you'd be wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another example of the excellent writing in this game: https://twitter.com/JustonBibero/sta...14897996288002
    It's not that bad in context. Cringy a little bit, yes, but I expected worse considering all the shit this game has received.

Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    Come on, that's just terrible even with the extended context attached to it. The problem is you kids grew up with Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey as the pinnacle of literature, and Miley Cyrus as excellent poetry. You've got no standards, and it's starting to show in these type of games because the developers actually understand their shallow audience.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's objectively horrible and thus badly written. You might think it's excellent dialogue, but you'd be wrong.
    There is no such thing as "objectively horrible". You of course, will not believe me. Thats fine. But you'd be wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Come on, that's just terrible even with the extended context attached to it. The problem is you kids grew up with Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey as the pinnacle of literature, and Miley Cyrus as excellent poetry. You've got no standards, and it's starting to show in these type of games because the developers actually understand their shallow audience.
    Ah so elite, much edge.

Just, be kind.

Yeah, Manveer Heir his clear and overt racist remarks are a byproduct of the sociopathy and insecurity of white gamers. Do you even understand how ridiculously warped you sound?
    I am not excusing Manveer Heir, nor saying that his clearly racist remarks are the blame of the toxic players.

I'm saying that the bitching and whining of the toxic players (Who lay blame of EVERYTHING they dislike on the game at Manveer's feet) wont stop just because he left. They'll simply pick another scapegoat to project their own insecurities and sociopathy, just like they did when they drove Jennifer Hepler away with their bile.

Just like all the people who blamed Ghostcrawler for EVERYTHING that was wrong with wow, moved to different targets after he left, their bitching didn't just vanish into thin air just because their favorite target is gone.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

The entire point is that it's cringe, it's why Kallo reacts that way. Flirting ends up being that way in real life too, hell I've personally seen (and, well, done) worse at that age.

Seems the writers can't even have a bit of fun anymore without armchair Literature Nobel Prizes on the internet lifting their pinkie as if they're too good for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    The entire point is that it's cringe, it's why Kallo reacts that way. FLirting ends up being that way in real life too, hell I've personally seen (and, well, done) worse at that age.

Seems the writers can't even have a bit of fun anymore without armchair Literature Nobel Prizes on the internet lifting their pinkie as if they're too good for it.
    Seriously. Of the, oh, 3 serious girlfriends I've had before I met my wife, I can think of some pretty cringe-worthy lines.

Oh, wanna know how I first hit on my wife? I saw a picture of her and commented "Hotter than toast!" I was hungry! It was 8am! I wanted breakfast and chicks!

Fuck you'd think these people never had a girlfriend or something....oh...wait....

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Just like all the people who blamed Ghostcrawler for EVERYTHING that was wrong with wow, moved to different targets after he left, their bitching didn't just vanish into thin air just because their favorite target is gone.
    Yeah well he was responsible for it, content and labour alike. Just as a manager have to take the heat if one of his salesmen shits all over a fax machine and tries to sell it as vintage-coloured.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Well its looking like EA/Bioware let a bunch of the Andromeda team go right after going gold which is usually a sign the publisher is not expecting numbers to recommend a sequel be made.
    It is very common in the games industry to hire people for the development of a game and lay them off once the game is released. Maintaining a game takes less people then creating it.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the problem people had with Manveer Heir was as an individual so much as biowares reaction to the attention he gathered, he's a racist clown, but he wasn't one with much narrative input judging from the game designer tag.

It's the double standard of bioware not moving to replace him for years that's ticking people off. Ask yourself, how long do you think he'd have lasted if he replaced "whites" in his tweets with blacks, east asians, arabs, or perhaps women? He has been acting like an ass-clown on twitter for years publicly while remaining at Bioware

Mass Effect Andromeda Struggles To Hit 30 FPS On PS4/Xbox One
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...mance-analysis
    Frame-rates are capped at 30fps and a customised adaptive v-sync solution is in play when the engine can't hit its performance target. If the new frame still isn't complete within the expanded frame-time window BioWare allows, performance stalls until the next screen refresh, causing noticeable judder on both systems. Adding further to a sense of unevenness is how PlayStation 4 seems to occasionally drop a proper 30fps cadence with pockets of incorrect frame-pacing. Both versions can drop frames in the same error with mostly similar results, but based on like-for-like testing, PS4 is ever-so-slightly smoother, while Xbox One also has minor issues with more visible screen-tear. Cut-scenes also have visible judder, not helped by extended frame-time pauses as the action cuts from one viewpoint to another - a situation that is mirrored on both consoles.
    5:33 onwards:

Guys, play Call of Duty Infinite Warfare if you want a space shooter with silky smooth 60fps, space battles, Naughty Dog level writing and dashing player protagonists!

Last edited by ramjb; 2017-03-19 at 05:28 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    Mass Effect Andromeda Struggles To Hit 30 FPS On PS4/Xbox One
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...mance-analysis
    Crappy consoles have crappy performance. Wrong thread?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Crappy consoles have crappy performance. Wrong thread?
    Was just about to post the same. I'm not going to defend or damn Andromeda until I've actually sunk time into it, but citing issues with consoles isn't really a point against any game.

On the one hand, every platform should be as optimized as possible for sure.

On the other hand, if you actually care about FPS, why in the blazes are you playing on a console anyway?

Speaking of performance, are cutscenes capped at 30 FPS? (PC)
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I am now trying to assign which characters fit into the well established and patented "Bioware Formula for Characters".

You see, every single bioware game (be it successful or not) has always played by the exact same rules when it comes to their cast, as they follow these archetypes:

Bioware Characters:

Heroic Charmer.

A charming, heroic, and handsome gentleman (often with a dash of good humor), this character is usually the lead male, acquired early in the game. In most cases he's a a Love Interest for the female—and sometimes male—Player Character. You see this archetype in characters such as: Kaidan in ME1, Carth in KOTOR, Sky in Jade Empire, Alistair in Dragon Age, Varric in Dragon Age 2, Cullen in Inquisition, and so on.

The Sweetheart Innocent Lady.

Good, sweet, and kind, this character is almost always Female. She often (but not always) is a Love Interest, and is always beautiful and youthful. She often has a especial emphasis on her optimism, idealism, kindness, innocence, and purity. Examples of this archetype are: Mission Vao in KOTOR, Dawn Star in Jade Empire, Liara and Tali in Mass Effect, Lelianna in Dragon Age, Merril in Dragon Age 2, Samantha Traynor in Mass Effect 3, Josephine in Inquisition, etc.

The Sexy Aloof Seductress.

The counterpart to The Sweetheart, the Seductress can have a several personality types, but they always share an aloofness to the Player at first, slowly warming up to them over the course of the game. They tend to be the sexiest female party member (which often coincides with being one of the most amoral characters in the group). She is usually a love interest. Their character arc almost always involves defrosting them from Ice Queen, to likable gal. Examples of this archetype: Bastila in KOTOR, Silk Fox in Jade Empire, Morrigan in Dragon Age, Miranda in Mass Effect 2, Cassandra in Inquisition.

The Old Gruff Warrior

Most likely the brute force on the team, this character embodies the fighting spirit and is proud of it. They can have a lot of personality variations, but they are always capable, tough, fierce, and follow a very strict code. There's a good chance they're a different species or from a different culture, one whose defining quality is that it glorifies combat, honor and warriors. Examples of this archetype: Canderous Ordo in KOTOR, Wrex in Mass Effect, Sten in Dragon Age, Fenris in Dragon Age 2, Grunt and Samara in Mass Effect 2, Javik in Mass Effect 3, Blackwall in Inquisition.

The Blood-thirsty Comic Relief Berserker

This character frequently expresses maim or wreak havok, but it's always played up for laughs. This doesn't mitigate the damage they present, however, and likely have among the highest body counts in the party. They aren't always present, but when they are, they tend to drop the most memorable and quotable lines in the game. A few examples of this archetype: HK-47 in KOTOR, Oghren and Shale in Dragon Age, The Black Whirlwind in Jade Empire, Jack and Zaheed in Mass Effect 2, Sometimes Javik in Mass Effect 3, The Iron Bull in Inquisition.

The Old Wise Mentor father-like Figure.

This character has taught you what you know, or is the respected wise sage leader who might induct into the Secret Organization you find yourself in. Wise and proud, this (often male) character will guide you on your journey. They are usually not a party member. And their survival rates are complete shit. Examples of them are: Jolee Bindo in KOTOR, David Anderson in the entire Mass Effect trilogy, Master Li in Jade Empire, Duncan in Dragon Age 1, etc.

Apart from these characters, bioware games have the following plot elements almost always in every single one of their games:

The doomed party member.

Its almost tradition at this point that your first squadmate just dies. Examples: Trask Ulgo in KOTOR, Student Si Pat in Jade Empire, Private Jenkins in Mass Effect 1, Wilson in Mass Effect 2, Anderson in Mass Effect 3, Jory and Daveth in Dragon Age 1, one of your siblings in Dragon Age 2, etc.

The Doomed Starting Area.

This may or may not be your hometown, but regardless, if its the first place you visit in the game, chances are its gonna get fucked. Hard. Examples: The Endar Spire in KOTOR, Two Rivers in Jade Empire, Eden Prime in Mass Effect, The First Normandy in Mass Effect 2, Earth on Mass Effect 3, Lothering and Ostagar in Dragon Age 1, Lothering again in Dragon Age 2, Haven in Inquisition.

The Special Organization.

Either shortly after starting the game, or at some point later on, your character will be invited to join an elite group that grants them authority and power, is very selective, and marks their passing from Average Joe/Jane to "The Chosen One"(tm). Examples of this: The Jedi in KOTOR; Spirit Monks in Jade Empire. Specters in Mass Effect 1, Cerberus in Mass Effect 2, Grey Wardens in Dragon Age 1, Inquisition in Dragon Age Inquisition, etc.

The Headquarters.

There's always a location in the game that serves as the headquarters for your ragtag band of misfits, and its here that they'll talk on and on about their backstory, deliver exposition about their race/culture, and its usually where the romancing and trademark sex scenes happen. Examples: The Normandy in Mass Effect, The Ebon Hawke in KOTOR, the Party Camp in Dragon Age 1, Haven/Skyhold in Inquisition, and the encampment in Jade Empire.

The Lost World/City.

At one point in the game, you search for vital clues to the plot in a very ancient, hidden, magical lost world untouched by civilization for millenia. This world is either the final dungeon, or the key to reaching the final dungeon, and is thus often visited at the very end of the game. Examples: Lehon in KOTOR, Ilos in Mass Effect, Collector Base in Mass Effect 2, Thessia Temple in Mass Effect 3, Temple of Sacred Ashes in Dragon Age 1, Temple of Mythal in Inquisition.

The Dream

Your character will be beset by dreams and/or visions about their quest/destiny, urging them forward at critical points in the story. This element isn't always used, but its been present enough to be noticeable. Examples: Flashbacks of your life as Revan in KOTOR, Visions of the Water Dragon in Jade Empire, Visions of the Reapers from the beacon in Mass Effect, Dreams of the Arch-demon in Dragon Age, etc.

So, having detailed all of these common plot elements and archetypes that adhere to the Bioware Strict Formula, who wanna place bets on which character will occupy each slot?

Here are my bets:

Heroic Charmer: Liam

Innocent Sweetheart: Peebee

Aloof Seductress: Cora

Old Warrior: Drack

Mentor: Dad!Ryder

Doomed Starting Area: Habitat 7

Special Organization: Pathfinders

Headquarters: Tempest

Lost World: Whatever the homeworld of the Remnant is.

The Dream: The flashbacks that SAM gives you about your mother

Go ahead people, place your bets. Do it while its fresh.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Speaking of performance, are cutscenes capped at 30 FPS? (PC)
    Pretty sure they're not this time around. Looking at PC footage on youtube is not the best way to determine it, but there doesn't seem to be a difference between gameplay and cutscenes.