Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thoughts on traveling alone?

Hi, I recently found myself by myself, no pun intended. ( Friends are in the army/not available ). And I was thinking about traveling abroad alone. I've been abroad lots of times but it was always with a couple of friends, I want to try something new but I'm afraid I will get bored out of my mind. I've never traveled alone and the thought is kind of awkward.

I was thinking of maybe going to Amsterdam or Lisbon, anyone here ever travels alone or maybe experienced the same thing I'm feeling? I've read online on tips but it's pretty cliche, not EVERYONE meets new people. Especially if it's only for a couple of days not a month or something. Anyway, my question is, is it worth it? Did anyone travel alone and regret it afterwards or is it always a positive experience? I'd like to hear some opinions.
    Playing since 2007.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the way I see it:

Whenever I went on vacation with friends and family, I felt that I always had to make concessions for their needs while not getting the same in return.

I started doing my own thing and had a much better time. Using your free-time to do what you WANT to do is a hell of a lot better than something you're indifferent about but were coaxed into doing by a family member or friend.

So travel alone. Do whatever you feel like. Have an adventure. You'll have a good time because the only thing you need to worry about is YOUR wants and needs.

Amsterdam? You mean Booty Bay?. That would be fun.

It's always best to go with someone if not for anything else they can point stuff out to you. But going alone isn't horrible. Maybe stay in a hostel? Meet some people?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    Hi, I recently found myself by myself, no pun intended. ( Friends are in the army/not available ). And I was thinking about traveling abroad alone. I've been abroad lots of times but it was always with a couple of friends, I want to try something new but I'm afraid I will get bored out of my mind. I've never traveled alone and the thought is kind of awkward.

I was thinking of maybe going to Amsterdam or Lisbon, anyone here ever travels alone or maybe experienced the same thing I'm feeling? I've read online on tips but it's pretty cliche, not EVERYONE meets new people. Especially if it's only for a couple of days not a month or something. Anyway, my question is, is it worth it? Did anyone travel alone and regret it afterwards or is it always a positive experience? I'd like to hear some opinions.

Basically the best times of my life was when I was traveling alone across this amazing planet of ours. I am only missing South America for now, and maybe some pacific islands as well. This was when I was younger and wanted to define myself in some manner. But....I also had some very bad and scary moments when alone. Spending three nights in a Congo prison during a coup, trying to explore Afghanistan while the Russians were invading, riots in Nigeria, etc....

My older self would rather go with my loved ones now. My adventuring days are nearly over, and old age does that to you.

My advice is take smart risks while traveling abroad. I did all of Europe at a very young age, so I saw no adventure in visiting european cities....although they are the most beautiful cities in the world in my opinion. Europe always will be, at least for the next 13,000 years. My addiction was going alone traveling to places like Benin in Africa, or Laos in Asia, places that have in some manner resisted the global corporate wave immersing the planet currently. These places are getting rarer to see.

Everyone should see what the world is with their owns eyes. You get to eventually take away the veil that your own culture imposed on you. Traveling is a way of learning to think for yourself.

Also a copy of Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy accompanied me for 15 years while traveling. I don't go abroad without it.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Deleted
    i just upped & left for australia at the age of 23 & loved it. stopped off in sri lanka for a week on the way, then backpacked around oz for a year.
    i made friends along the way, im sure it wont be much different for yourself.

I have a road trip planned at some point in my life by myself. Want to by one of those shuttle buses and turn it into an RV and take a trip across america. I've never seen the west coast and have only seen small parts of the east coast. Plus I have alot of friends across the country that I need to see.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I had done it after college and my internship, but I immediately started my career -> marriage -> kids.

I could really go for a vacation where I could choose what to see and where to go all week long.

THE Bigzoman said it best

Deleted
    So are you asking about traveling itself, or about traveling alone?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Here's the way I see it:

Whenever I went on vacation with friends and family, I felt that I always had to make concessions for their needs while not getting the same in return.

I started doing my own thing and had a much better time. Using your free-time to do what you WANT to do is a hell of a lot better than something you're indifferent about but were coaxed into doing by a family member or friend.

So travel alone. Do whatever you feel like. Have an adventure. You'll have a good time because the only thing you need to worry about is YOUR wants and needs.
    This is precisely why I stopped planning Blizzcon trips with friends. Last few I've been to, I felt no need to keep up with what groups of friends were up to all the time. Sure, I'd meet up for things like dinner or specific panels. But if I wanted to go out and do something, I'd just go do it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Here's the way I see it:

Completely agree.
    Since I turned 18 y/o, the majority of my trips have been alone, and the amount of things I got to see and do, the people met, the experiences, the places.. I knew it would've been impossible to do that things in a group.
    It's not that traveling with your friends is bad, but you end up being with the same people as home, doing very generic things, and leaving little to adventure and risks.
    Being alone you can do basically whatever you feel to do.
    "You can wear whatever costume you want for Halloween and it's totally cool but here's a list of costumes I'll shame you for and call you sexist and racist if you do wear them"
    - Laci Green 2015.

Hey Nab, figured I'd offer some experience on the matter. So, I'll be honest with ya, it's a great experience traveling alone. I spent four months driving across the US, from East to West and back again. 13,000 miles of open road, Thirty-Nine states, most explored over a days or weeks...well, it's fantastic.

Ofcourse I ran into snags here and there, every trip does. A flat tire, getting lost on the occasional outing.....not being the kind of person that normally socializes with strangers...each their own hurdle. But you never truly know yourself without having to figure out problems or make big decisions on your own like that.

Each day ends up being an adventure you decide, without needing to account for others wanted to see this, or do that...

Anyway, rambling on now. I'll leave you with this: If you feel it's something you want to do, go for it. It's a wonderful experience that most people don't ever do. You'll make friends, learn your limits on what you're willing to do by yourself, and try things you'd likely never do on your own. Skinny dip with hippies, volunteer in shelters or animal sanctuaries, see a mountain and say "I'm gonna climb that" were just a few things of mention. Want to take the road less traveled? It's your choice, every moment, every decision...it's all yours.
    Last edited by Dovashy; 2017-03-19 at 08:33 PM.
    CYOA comic updated regularly!
    http://dovashy.deviantart.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    Do it at least once. Not having the safety net of friends and family to fall back on when abroad can be liberating. Meeting new people is a plus, if possible. And take lots of photos.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't to bad traveling alone. You get to set your own schedule and destination. My only bad experience is that since I'm a creepy joker I tend to get that "look" from people. The only time I didn't get that look was when I was at an all day rock concert by myself and I was surrounded by creepy jokers.

In my eyes it's pretty dull. The trade off in scheduling compromises is worth companionship.

If you are young, then I would do it. I have never NOT met people while traveling. Now, are we all still in touch to this day? No. But, you will find humans to interact with, anywhere you can find humans, and you share command of a common language.

I have done a lot solo traveling. It's great to have your itinerary totally to yourself. There is a nice freedom to it.

That said, let someone "back home" know where you are all the time. Every few hours, check in or post an update on your social media site du jour. It's just for safety sake. Do that when you travel with others too, btw.

It's no different than going to the movies or dinner alone. The degree to which one enjoys the time is usually dependant on how comfortable one is with their own self.

Traveling alone is much more fun as you get to see and do what YOU want to do, and not what your friends collectively decided
    However, from all my own traveling experiences - if you go to far away places that you might not have the opportunity to visit again - go for a longer time then the "couple of days" you mentioned.

Exploring other countries is amazing but not something you should rush
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Do everything alone forever.
    story of my life right here no friends
    mr pickles

Yes. Traveling alone grants you the freedom to do what you want, when you want and whenever you want. Yo7 don't have to do things you don't want, and you have absolute freedom. Plus, if by chance you find someone that you want to spend the night with, it makes it a lot easier ������.

However the world is a dangerous place, especially as of late. Plan your trip out, and avoid being out at night in the dangerous places. If you do, stay in well lit, and crowded areas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gyrados View Post
    story of my life right here no friends
    Eh, it's not as sad as people make it out to be. My friends moved away, and we've lost touch. Haven't bothered to really make new ones. I'm rather content, except for the random bouts of loneliness. I've a really found out more about myself, than I ever have with other people.

Though, I do miss having friends to depend on when shit hits the proverbial fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    That installation is ONLY dangerous if USA decides to strike first. If Russia launches first an attack, its completely not an issue.

It really depends on how social/independent you are. I love doing things by myself.

Here's the way I see it:

^How I view things. Company is nice, but there are downsides along with the upsides and isn't necessary to have a good time.