Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    While the extreme right celebrates the death of children

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Even in posting just to draw attention to it and attempting to persuade people to stop, you've taken roughly the same amount of action the people you're bitching about have.
    Who's career/life have I tried to ruin, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Well, his comment WAS blatantly sexist.
    Would you consider context before making such an evaluation? I made much the same joke before #ADayWithoutAWoman and it was based on nothing more than the fact that I work in IT and about 9 out of 10 users I'm supposed to support are women. A day without any of them turning up and you can describe my day as *crickets*, with the occasional tumbleweed.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Who was fired?
    Plenty of people over the years have been fired for not being politically correct. Colin did step down but doesnt mean others have not been fired over similar issues. People have the right to believe what they want to believe. Policing that just makes it worse. Often you ruin a whole families life over a word, meanwhile that word just happened to offend a million people but none of their lively hood was lost.

Doesnt seem like a fair trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Would you consider context before making such an evaluation? I made much the same joke before #ADayWithoutAWoman and it was based on nothing more than the fact that I work in IT and about 9 out of 10 users I'm supposed to support are women. A day without any of them turning up and you can describe my day as *crickets*, with the occasional tumbleweed.
    Yes. Thou art now Alt-Right. Please proceed to the closest Punching Center.

You're a shitlord, Harry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Plenty of people over the years have been fired for not being politically correct. Colin did step down but doesnt mean others have not been fired over similar issues. People have the right to believe what they want to believe. Policing that just makes it worse. Often you ruin a whole families life over a word, meanwhile that word just happened to offend a million people but none of their lively hood was lost.

Doesnt seem like a fair trade.

It's almost like it happens both ways.

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/l...-irvine-l.html
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/2/5/693867/-
    https://mediamatters.org/blog/2009/1...eing-to/155808

These were 3 random story that took me seconds to find.

Can I start playing the victim now?

10+ Year Old Account

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

So what was the context of his joke?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    rofl

So, Colin tweeted something incredibly sexist, got called out for it, eventually causing him to quit since he is now an absolute embarrassment to his company. And, I'm supposed to feel sorry for him why?

Sorry, but for most people in the real world, there are consequences for your actions. If you don't understand how sexist that tweet was, you need some serious help and self-reflection.

If you say and do sexist things, you are a misogynist. If you say and do racist things, you are a racist.

To paraphrase from Star Trek: You've made your choices, sir! You're a misogynist / racist! Now, if the bitter taste of that is unpalatable to you, I am truly sorry. You've crossed over. Make yourself comfortable with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If his employers don't want to associate with him anymore, that's free speech and free association in action. Your attempts to limit them are an assault on both, not a defense of either.
    His employer is free to do whatever he wants (within the boundaries of the law) and does not have to associate with someone that gives him bad press and bad business. That was not the point though, my comment was a reply to the idea that one should rather self-censorship because it would be easier than dealing with overblown reactions that would negatively and disproportionately impact its livelihood. Actions and reactions should be within a certain limit of common sense, which is not always easy to define and will change over time and space. However, if people started to self-censoring themselves because they feared repercussions, we would know without a doubt that we have gone too far because that is the kind of attitude that keeps people in check in dictatorships. I could never condone such an idea, regardless of this specific case.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's wrong with making a joke based on stereotypes?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's rediculous yet you want to draw more attention to it? #logicfail

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Actually I have seen few women condemn it...

Most people "offended" by this tweet, in this thread, in the replies to the tweet, in the articles defaming the guy... Are almost exclusively 20-30 something white men.
    At this point it is all speculation, apart from any real (?) number from the company the guy resigned from.
    However, responses on this forum (or, on any forum) are no indication whatsoever for the results of a random sample. 1. because only opiniated people post (which are generally only a small part of a random sample), and 2. because forums generally are biased.
    I am not going to prove that, I hope you can see it by using common sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    Now you're dodging the question again. I guess you are a hypocrite then.
    If you manage to get my boss to fire me through a phone call, of course I personally will have a problem with it. I, however, will accept your right to do so. It just so happens that I didn't put myself in a position where my public tweets have any effect on my employability, nor do I tweet random stuff under my real name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizix View Post
    You're advocating self-censorship in the name of free speech...

One shouldn't have to refrain from making a silly joke, even a sexist one, even if he was a public figure, because the worst it should happen to him is that people don't laugh or lecture him on his sexism (in this case) making him feel like an idiot and giving him bad press. What shouldn't happen is the guy loses his job because of internet pressure. Some form of backlash is totally acceptable, but over reacting and pushing to the point of ruining someone's life because of a joke? That's vengeance not freedom of speech, that's like shooting someone dead because they insulted your mum. The disproportion between the action and the reaction is evident.
    No, every person should say what they feel is right - and face the consequences. The consequences do not always match the words in size. Nor should they: we don't live in an utopia of fairness. The best we have is a leveled playing field. Some people can play dirty, but, as long as it is within the rules, it is a fair game. This is what free society, free speech and free market is.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    So then it's not a freedom.
    Freedom merely means that the government won't persecute you, and it will defend you from persecution of hot heads in the society. It has nothing to do with protecting you from people reacting to your words negatively, and it has nothing to do with protecting you from your employer's desire to kick you out if what you say does not align with the company's policies.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Just checked this joke on my wife - she found it funny and in no way offensive. Her opinion matters. Because she is a female.

The opinion of males on this matter, especially the "condemning" ones are pretty stupid, to say the least.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you know why women are nicer on the internet?
    You can't hear them.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I've learned from decades of painful experience that self-described libertarians from Long Island do not deserve to have their political analyses taken seriously on any subject ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Do you know why women are nicer on the internet?
    You can't hear them.
    You mysoginist scum!

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkerr View Post
    Just checked this joke on my wife - she found it funny and in no way offensive. Her opinion matters. Because she is a female.

The opinion of males on this matter, especially the "condemning" ones are pretty stupid, to say the least.
    Clearly your wife secretly hates her own gender.