Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Which is fine, but I am just going to point out that that natural crystal had far, FAR less people involved in its production than a diamond ever will. I have watched a diamond cutter working, and I have watched a jeweler working, and that is intensive labor. It's not an easy job, and it's not something you can start off doing - it requires years of training.
    That might be true. However, again, why should a "perfect" diamond cost so much more than a regular industrial one? What makes it so special? Size? There's industrial diamonds of that size. That it lacks impurities and microscopic cracks? Well I won't really be able to see most of those anyway, will I? So they don't really matter.

I see you don't agree, but for me, a perfect diamond could never be worth more than industrial ones. Oh, is it worth more because it's set in a ring? Sure. But not 100x times more.

I actually have a friend who started a business as a jeweler, she doesn't work with diamonds but she does work with some other precious stones, most notably rubies and sapphires. She makes nice looking pieces and she indeed require years of training. But even she can agree that some stones are over-rated. It all depends on what the person likes. There's people liking diamonds on platinum settings and some liking a regular preety stone on a steel setting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    That might be true. However, again, why should a "perfect" diamond cost so much more than a regular industrial one? What makes it so special? Size? There's industrial diamonds of that size. That it lacks impurities and microscopic cracks? Well I won't really be able to see most of those anyway, will I? So they don't really matter.

I see you don't agree, but for me, a perfect diamond could never be worth more than industrial ones. Oh, is it worth more because it's set in a ring? Sure. But not 100x times more.

I actually have a friend who started a business as a jeweler, she doesn't work with diamonds but she does work with some other precious stones, most notably rubies and sapphires. She makes nice looking pieces and she indeed require years of training. But even she can agree that some stones are over-rated. It all depends on what the person likes. There's people liking diamonds on platinum settings and some liking a regular preety stone on a steel setting.
    Rarity. It's all about rarity. The bigger the diamond, the harder to find it. The clearer the diamond, the harder to find it. The whiter the diamond...well, colored diamonds are actually far more rare (and smaller versions have gone for prices that make that 100ct diamond look like child's play), but the combination of size, color, and clarity is what is causing the price in this case.

Also, they had to find someone crazy enough to cut it. I do not envy that poor person. That would be nerve-wracking.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Silver and Peridot are were it is at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Silver and Peridot are were it is at.
    I like both. However, I've seen what happens when someone uses a peridot as an engagement ring. It's not pretty.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    If you really love the other person then you would want to make it official and show your commitment.
    I do that every day, through action, not with a overpriced piece of compressed carbon.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

If you're bashing millennials then share your age.
    I'm 37 years old buddy.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

This is what insurance is for. You get insurance on the ring, if anything happens to it, you get it replaced.
    Can't replace the memories though. The replacement would just be another piece of jewelry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    Can't replace the memories though. The replacement would just be another piece of jewelry.
    If it's in the safe, there are no memories, anyway. Just get the insurance. You can make new memories with the new ring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I'm 37 years old buddy.
    Then you're apparently a millennial, too.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Knaar View Post
    That reminds me of something about my mom.

She received a really nice ring back in the days, with diamonds. Apparently a very pretty ring.
    The week following her wedding, because of how expensive the ring was, she went and store it in a safe at a bank. She has not seen that ring ever since.

I doubt she's the only one that did something like that. I just dont see the point in todays world to buy a very expensive ring to never let it out in fear of losing it.
    My wife rarely wears her engagement ring, only on "special" occasions. Most of the time she just wears her band.

They aren't fabrications. What I'm saying is that they're not going to look pretty until you see them in front of you. They look very, very different in light, on someone's hand.

Honestly, I can't explain this to you if you've never actually handled high end diamonds. I have. I'm telling you, pictures never do them justice.

With that said, a 100 ct Emerald Cut is just them swinging their dicks around. "It's E IF, it's THE BEST! Look, we can even manage an EMERALD CUT!" The bowtie effect makes me hate that particular shape.
    Right there. Do I need to keep explaining how different shapes and designs to me look ugly/boring, while you keep on "It sparklezz it's pretty if you see it for real!!!" No, I don't need to see every single ring I find ugly/boring, just to see the diamond shine. It's still ugly or boring looking to me. I've seen plenty of diamond rings, I've browsed even massively bigger amount. Not one that really appeals to me. If you wish to argue taste based on "you just need to see expensive rings for real to change your mind" then we can do it all night for no result. I even provided pictures of expensive rings for show, that are absolutely ugly to me. Were those "low end" rings?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

At least the divorce won't hurt as much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Right there. Do I need to keep explaining how different shapes and designs to me look ugly/boring, while you keep on "It sparklezz it's pretty if you see it for real!!!" No, I don't need to see every single ring I find ugly/boring, just to see the diamond shine. It's still ugly or boring looking to me. I've seen plenty of diamond rings, I've browsed even massively bigger amount. Not one that really appeals to me. If you wish to argue taste based on "you just need to see expensive rings for real to change your mind" then we can do it all night for no result. I even provided pictures of expensive rings for show, that are absolutely ugly to me.
    You're pointing to that, and saying that all diamonds are flat and boring, and you pick one of flattest shapes possible...when there are half a dozen or so other shapes to choose from. Why not a Pear? An Oval (my personal favorite)? Round, Trillion, Square, Cushion?

And I still maintain that a picture will never show the brilliance of a diamond properly - and that's what people buy them for. The brilliance. Good diamonds are not "flat" in person.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

I really dont know any women that would ask for diamond nowdays, but i guess i am on the older side of millennials. Its just pointless to waste that kind of cash on a ring, you can easily cut the price tenfold and have a better honeymoon instead?

Who can afford to pay 2 months salary on a luxury item with no benefit? Maybe that was possible during the 80s. Rent being 35-40% of one's income, student debt another 10%, car payments, food, etc. Who has money left around for a ring? Especially when a wedding costs like 10k. It is ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I'm 37 years old buddy.
    I'M NOT YOUR BUDDY, GUY!

Actually I like most of your posts it just seemed like the proper meme response.

If it's in the safe, there are no memories, anyway. Just get the insurance. You can make new memories with the new ring.

- - - Updated - - -

Then you're apparently a millennial, too.
    millennial cutoff is 1982.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever I see comments like this, I can't help but think about how people always complain about Conflict Diamonds, but no one actually wants to pay a decent price for their ring to properly pay the people who actually made it. Because those people all have to be paid, too.

DeBeers hasn't controlled the diamond industry in a quarter century. Yet this meme persists. Still, it really is just a meme.

Just like people have no idea that the majority of diamonds come from places like Canada, Russia, Australia...and, well, Botswana. Places with legal industries and workers who need the work to support their families (and who are paid a decent wage for their work).
    My bad, but that doesn't really change the rest. This whole tradition isn't even 100 years old and was a marketing hype, and it did work:

"If you really love the other person then you would want to make it official and show your commitment. "

before the 30s no one would've said that, because as pointed out - its stupid - you loose a lot of money if you really want to sell it later on.

Deleted
    If you really love the other person then you would want to make it official and show your commitment.
    I disagree. I feel as if you truly love the other person, you wouldn't need a piece of paper to show you that. You might love the other person, but marriage... hmmm, I'll better explain it through a comparison:
    Let's say you somehow managed to tame a wild extraordinary creature. Marriage would be like setting in a cage to make sure it never leaves you again. Not marrying would be like letting it roam free having trust in it that it loves you and it will return to you.

For me love means the second thing. Having faith in my beloved that no matter what, she will remain by my side out of her love and care for me, not because I trapped her in a marriage act like in a cage and she did the same to me. That, to me, would mean that neither of us trust the other enough that said other will remain by our side and we need this piece of paper to prove it.
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2017-03-19 at 11:18 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I gave my Ex-Fiancee a Ruby engagement ring since it was her favourite precious Stone.

What does it matter if they are diamond or not?

You're pointing to that, and saying that all diamonds are flat and boring, and you pick one of flattest shapes possible...when there are half a dozen or so other shapes to choose from. Why not a Pear? An Oval (my personal favorite)? Round, Trillion, Square, Cushion?

And I still maintain that a picture will never show the brilliance of a diamond properly - and that's what people buy them for. The brilliance. Good diamonds are not "flat" in person.
    'Flat out boring'. Is the words I used. You can link pictures of these nicer shaped and patterned diamond rings, which are also high end, if you're so convinced you are right, that everyone must find them pretty.

So, let me get the second part straight: You buy diamonds for shiny sparkling = everyone must buy them for that, and that alone. Well, why have anything but one size/shape/pattern that shows the shine best, if that is indeed true. (probably because it's not)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.