Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

CPB- PBS and Co. Cuts impact Rural voters the most.

Can say for sure if they care at all, but interesting whom the impact will hit the most

I support a blanket cut across the board in the govt, but this is not a blanket cut....this is a defunding and reapplying mostly toward defense spending and a worthless wall. that i do not support.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...defund-pbs-npr

Defunding the Corporation for Public Broadcasting won’t kill PBS. It will hurt Trump voters.
    Most of the organization’s money goes toward keeping rural PBS and NPR stations alive.

But the majority of PBS programming is produced by outside entities — member stations, another country’s broadcasters, or independent production companies (like Sesame Workshop) — and those outside entities usually secure their funding via means other than the government.

It’s true that just over 23 percent of the CPB’s budget (nearly entirely derived from the federal government) goes toward the development and acquisition of television and radio programming

But most of the federal government’s dollars to CPB (just over 65 percent) go toward one thing: keeping rural PBS and NPR stations alive. These stations only continue to operate due to funding from the federal government. If Trump’s proposed budget becomes law, PBS and NPR themselves will continue to exist, on TV, on the radio, and on digital platforms.

The rural areas served by those stations backed Trump heavily. He received 62 percent of the vote in rural counties. Thus, his budget’s proposed defunding of CPB is yet another way that a policy proposed by Trump seems as if it will have the most adverse effect on those who voted for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Can say for sure if they care at all, but interesting whom the impact will hit the most

I support a blanket cut across the board in the govt, but this is not a blanket cut....this is a defunding and reapplying mostly toward defense spending and a worthless wall. that i do not support.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...defund-pbs-npr

Defunding the Corporation for Public Broadcasting won’t kill PBS. It will hurt Trump voters.
    Most of the organization’s money goes toward keeping rural PBS and NPR stations alive.

But the majority of PBS programming is produced by outside entities — member stations, another country’s broadcasters, or independent production companies (like Sesame Workshop) — and those outside entities usually secure their funding via means other than the government.

It’s true that just over 23 percent of the CPB’s budget (nearly entirely derived from the federal government) goes toward the development and acquisition of television and radio programming

But most of the federal government’s dollars to CPB (just over 65 percent) go toward one thing: keeping rural PBS and NPR stations alive. These stations only continue to operate due to funding from the federal government. If Trump’s proposed budget becomes law, PBS and NPR themselves will continue to exist, on TV, on the radio, and on digital platforms.

The rural areas served by those stations backed Trump heavily. He received 62 percent of the vote in rural counties. Thus, his budget’s proposed defunding of CPB is yet another way that a policy proposed by Trump seems as if it will have the most adverse effect on those who voted for him.
    The notion that there is no media available in rural areas is so hilariously insane, I don't even know what to say. You know everyone has internet and cable TV, right?

Also, the notion that NPR goes over well in rural areas is also pretty fucking hilarious. Yeah, no. They don't listen to that crap.

I mean, what year do you think this is, that people "rely" on AM radio to get news?

Whatever will rural Americans do, when they turn off the propaganda machine that they didn't even know existed?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    The notion that there is no media available in rural areas is so hilariously insane, I don't even know what to say. You know everyone has internet and cable TV, right?

Also, the notion that NPR goes over well in rural areas is also pretty fucking hilarious. Yeah, no. They don't listen to that crap.

I mean, what year do you think this is, that people "rely" on AM radio to get news?

Whatever will rural Americans do, when they turn off the propaganda machine that they didn't even know existed?
    Lol NPR is a propaganda machine now? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You know not everyone has internet and cable TV, right?
    You know everyone has internet and cable TV, right?

That kind of thinking reminds me of a comment I heard someone make awhile back. They saw a Redbox at a convenient store and wondered out loud, "Why the hell would anyone use a DVD? Just stream it or get bluray."

Good. Trump voters should be the ones to suffer under Trump's bad policies.

15+ Year Old Account
    Urban NPR stations are funded by donations, because population density and wealthy liberals who like to donate to worthy causes.

So defunding NPR hurts rural voters.

But they don't listen to it anyway.

Bringing up thought provoking subjects, asking hard questions to answer, and taking a step back instead of emotionally screaming your lungs out are all liberal things.

Even though rural NPR stations actually tailor more to their audiences.

Those poor local bluegrass bands. For some of them, NPR and the nowhere bar are their only exposure to the public.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    You'll get a kick out of this:
    https://thinkprogress.org/trumps-bud...93e#.u00bk7una
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    The analysis of Ryancare was pretty funny. The ones hit the most would be Trump voters. But they don't need no durn insurance, they're healthy as an ox, and they'll never have an accident and break their leg or anything like that. Even though something like 2/3 of Americans have an accident or illness that causes them to be hospitalized for an extended period before retirement age. After retirement age that goes way up of course. But they have medicare...

*Snorts* *Tries to hold it in* *Busts out laughing* Okay so relying on medicare would be foolish, but many think they can.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Except your stats back up my claims. If only 13% don't have internet via choice, that leaves even less who can't get internet. Also, your assertion doesn't really jive with the AM radio aspect of NPR. There are TONS of stations offering news, music, Jesus, and any number of other things up and down the AM dial. The entire premise that NPR fills a void, is completely ridiculous. Furthermore, since they are competing unfairly in the market, they should be done away with just on those grounds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Lol NPR is a propaganda machine now? Interesting.
    It's state ran media, akin to RT. /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    It's state ran media, akin to RT. /shrug
    PBS/NPR is not state run. It is state funded. Same as CBC, BBC, etc.

RT, on the other hand, is state run.

If you cannot understand the difference between those concepts, I would suggest going to educate yourself before continuing to post in this discussion.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Your claim was that everyone has the internet and cable TV, which is objectively false, as evidenced by the links in question.
    Parse words much?

maybe you need to slow down and read the article.
    it basically said nothing of what you are even talking about.

NPR is on 2 FM stations in my state and the top 5 radio stations in NYC 2 are AM stations

Feel free to look, most markets have AM stations in the top 5 and a lot of them are news.
    http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-.../arb_menu_date
    Hell for conservatives AM stations is where they get their Rush fix.
    Last edited by Zan15; 2017-03-20 at 12:38 AM.

I'd like to see a survey of rural residents asking if they listen to NPR or watch PBS stations. I doubt the amount is very high.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    PBS/NPR is not state run. It is state funded. Same as CBC, BBC, etc.

RT, on the other hand, is state run.

If you cannot understand the difference between those concepts, I would suggest going to educate yourself before continuing to post in this discussion.
    Oh, are you kicking me out of the thread?

Not everyone believes in free press. You are welcome to think what you want.

Some people take issue with state ran media, and media that gets unfair tax dollars that other outlets do not receive. Some take issue with the idea that you can open a business, pay taxes, and then have those taxes handed out to a competitor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Exedore View Post
    I'd like to see a survey of rural residents asking if they listen to NPR or watch PBS stations. I doubt the amount is very high.
    Survey anyone, anywhere. They are a tiny fraction of all media.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    maybe you need to slow down and read the article.
    it basically said nothing of what you are even talking about.

NPR is on 2 FM stations in my state and the top 5 radio stations in NYC 2 are AM stations

Feel free to look, most markets have AM stations in the top 5 and a lot of them are news.

Hell for conservatives AM stations is where they get their Rush fix.
    What are you on about? Maybe you should slow down and state a point.

Oh, are you kicking me out of the thread?

Not everyone believes in free press. You are welcome to think what you want.

Some people take issue with state ran media, and media that gets unfair tax dollars that other outlets do not receive. Some take issue with the idea that you can open a business, pay taxes, and then have those taxes handed out to a competitor.

- - - Updated - - -

Survey anyone, anywhere. They are a tiny fraction of all media.

- - - Updated - - -

What are you on about? Maybe you should slow down and state a point.

No you. ?

was that on your level?

again maybe you need to slow down and read a little.

NPR is FM. It sounds like you should give it a listen. And no one is touching your propaganda machine....Fox News still exists.

- - - Updated - - -

He watches Fox News, of course he's making shit up.
    ~steppin large and laughin easy~

Does not matter, seeing as the GOPs main voter base is uneducated whites, and never watch educational tv. They will not even notice it is gone.

The right wing has been threatening to cut PBS for decades now.

They hate Elmo, all 4 year olds know this.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

well no shit, the entire Trump budget can be summed as "poor and working class america, eat my farts. Love Donny".