Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    No you. ?

was that on your level?

again maybe you need to slow down and read a little.
    Maybe you need to make a point, instead of claiming intellectual high ground without even saying anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    NPR is FM. It sounds like you should give it a listen. And no one is touching your propaganda machine....Fox News still exists.

- - - Updated - - -

He watches Fox News, of course he's making shit up.
    NPR is AM where I live. /shrug

What difference does that make, anyway? AM/FM/Sirius...it's all out there, and you can get it all just fine in rural areas. The current year is not 1952. Just sayin...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'm not psychic and I'm not going to pretend to be. If you don't say what you mean, that's your fault. The claim, as presented, is something that one might reasonably believe, even if it's wrong. Rather than make snide remarks towards me, you should just clarify what you meant, if that's really the case. It's not as though I was unclear about what I was claiming.
    If you are using data to back up your assertion that when I say 100%, it's really a figure less than 100%, then that is just silly. All exaggerations aside, the point remains, and the point is correct. People do NOT rely on NPR, in any market, as the only source of news and information. That is a false claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Maybe you need to make a point, instead of claiming intellectual high ground without even saying anything.

Still waiting for yours.

You said no one listened to AM
    i linked ratings that show opposite.

You blew a hissy fit about not making a point.

i said, no u, because that is your apparent intelligence level and retort ability.

i'll even throw you one better
    According to Nielsen Audio ratings, the total weekly listeners for all programming on NPR stations reached an all-time high of about 37.5 million in the fall of 2016 – a nearly 4 million person increase from the same period in 2015.

people actually do watch PBS and listen to NPR.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Still waiting for yours.

You said no one listened to AM

i linked ratings that show opposite.

You blew a hissy fit about not making a point.

i said, no u, because that is your apparent intelligence level and retort ability.

i'll even throw you one better
    According to Nielsen Audio ratings, the total weekly listeners for all programming on NPR stations reached an all-time high of about 37.5 million in the fall of 2016 – a nearly 4 million person increase from the same period in 2015.

people actually do watch PBS and listen to NPR.
    I factually never said that, or anything of the sort. What are you on about? I said that "nobody in rural areas listens to NPR", which was refuted with many graphs and charts to show that while it's a tiny, immeasurable fraction, it is in fact not zero.

I legit did not know what your position is, because you did not state it, until now.

Something something people watch NPR. Ok, got it. I would argue that rural areas are by far and away their worst market position, since the political leanings of rural Americans is in opposition to the programming on NPR. If you disagree, great. Tell me why though, so we can say discussion happened.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Urban NPR stations are funded by donations, because population density and wealthy liberals who like to donate to worthy causes.
    /yawn. another Person that thinks it's only Liberals that donate to Charity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Of course Conservatives donate to "charity".

How else would things like this get built?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The question is if you don't think it's important to your point, why lie about it in the first place?
    I didn't lie. Don't call me names, please. I did not disrespect you, or call you names.

Saying things like, "Nobody goes to that restaurant" are not taken literally by most people in causal conversation. You taking it as literal is bizarre. Just sayin...

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Be carefull, your victim complex is showing.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Be carefull, your victim complex is showing.
    How so? Pointing out someone saying something cringeworthy is a Victim Complex now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Of course Conservatives donate to "charity".

How else would things like this get built?
    >implying only Conservatives are religious.

Saying you lied isn't calling you a name. Please stop lying.

If you don't mean what you say, especially when your statement not being literally true would render it utterly toothless and a pointless inclusion in the post, that is on you.
    You are literally holding me to a standard that is not present in any social discourse. People use words inaccurately to make a stronger point every day. This is a normal part of human communication. While you are factually correct, that stating "nobody likes Nixx" is not a 100% provable statement, it's not intended to be held to scientific standards, since this is causal conversation.

I mean, really, what are you on about? How are you not just derailing this glorious thread about state controlled media, such as NPR and RT? Let's get back to what matters here, unfairly slamming NPR for it's bias.

The notion that there is no media available in rural areas is so hilariously insane, I don't even know what to say. You know everyone has internet and cable TV, right?

Also, the notion that NPR goes over well in rural areas is also pretty fucking hilarious. Yeah, no. They don't listen to that crap.

I mean, what year do you think this is, that people "rely" on AM radio to get news?

Whatever will rural Americans do, when they turn off the propaganda machine that they didn't even know existed?
    hi i grew up in a rural area, until i was in my teens pbs and npr was pretty much all we had.

"let them eat cake."

You could have been spared that entire post if you had simply read what I had written in mine, rather than mindlessly repeating yourself.
    My ISP doesn't charge by the word. /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    hi i grew up in a rural area, until i was in my teens pbs and npr was pretty much all we had.

"let them eat cake."
    Key words, "until I was in my teens". Ergo, at a point in time that is not now.

When I grew up there was no internet. That doesn't mean there is now no internet. We were talking about the role of NPR, RT and other state controlled media in the current day.

My ISP doesn't charge by the word. /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

Key words, "until I was in my teens". Ergo, at a point in time that is not now.

When I grew up there was no internet. That doesn't mean there is now no internet. We were talking about the role of NPR, RT and other state controlled media in the current day.
    that was all we could afford till then.

that was all we could afford till then.
    Neat. Others can afford luxuries, such as TV, internet, and newspapers. There is factually no media market on this planet, that is only served by NPR. That was the original debate that all my comments are in relation to.

Neat. Others can afford luxuries, such as TV, internet, and newspapers. There is factually no media market on this planet, that is only served by NPR. That was the original debate that all my comments are in relation to.
    do you think rural people can afford many "luxuries"?

do you think rural people can afford many "luxuries"?
    Like a newspaper? Yes. Yes, I do. Why is it that you think all rural people are poor? It sounds like you aren't really from a rural area, if that is what you think.

Like a newspaper? Yes. Yes, I do. Why is it that you think all rural people are poor? It sounds like you aren't really from a rural area, if that is what you think.
    i actually am, which is why i think its very funny that you think they should just buy cable tv instead.
    newspapers are luxuries now, thats news to me.

You know everyone has internet and cable TV, right?
    Hell. I back Nixx up on this by saying. I don't have cable TV personally. Soooo debunked you have been.

i actually am, which is why i think its very funny that you think they should just buy cable tv instead.
    newspapers are luxuries now, thats news to me.
    You said newspapers were luxuries, not me. You directly quoted me as saying they are things that are common in rural areas, and then refuted me that they were luxuries.

You aren't country though. That much is clear. I'm calling BS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Hell. I back Nixx up on this by saying. I don't have cable TV personally. Soooo debunked you have been.
    Yeah, it wasn't meant as literal, obviously. Nixx already posted the appropriate charts and graphs to show that it's merely 99%, not 100%, or whatever.

However, I stand by the notion that there is factually not one single media market in THIS galaxy, that is ONLY served by NPR. The OP is making the wild claim that some people's only contact with the outside world is NPR. It's a ridiculous notion, imo.

You said newspapers were luxuries, not me. You directly quoted me as saying they are things that are common in rural areas, and then refuted me that they were luxuries.

You aren't country though. That much is clear. I'm calling BS.
    you said "luxuries such as newspapers."
    Originally Posted by Tijuana
    there are in fact lots of people who cannot afford cable tv or internet.

you said "luxuries such as newspapers."

there are in fact lots of people who cannot afford cable tv or internet.
    What is your point? NPR is a radio station. There are other radio stations. NPR is in fact, NOT providing any service that is not available elsewhere. I mean, I'm discussing the actual thread topic here. Just sayin...