Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, It seems "progressives" are all for Censorship until it's until it affects them as well.

Whilst I think it is stupid to even have restricted access to it, it does make me laugh at their hypocrisy.

So they're an unfortunate side effect of a filtering system. Not the first, and won't be the last. Folks wondering why this is happening "now" will pause to remember that Youtube is pushing Youtube Red as a fairly large effort (with a very unfortunate / naive name, all things considered).

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    SO what I'm getting is, Youtube fucked up when trying to apply a filter to some sensitive content. They wanted to restrict some of the more sexual stuff but applied it to broadly. (omg YT apply something too broadly? Say it isn't so!!!)

Other then that restricted mode is an optional thing you have to turn on yourself.

https://support.google.com/youtube/a...DDesktop&hl=en

People that use this filter are most likely not going to watch their content either way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Lol, It seems "progressives" are all for Censorship until it's until it affects them as well.

Whilst I think it is stupid to even have restricted access to it, it does make me laugh at their hypocrisy.
    Restricted mode is something you turn on for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Oh wow. That's....well that's a huge shift in tone of the thread. By all means, please tell me more about this.
    In the last 20 years, the internet has really opened up a free market of ideas, which has allowed for a lot of positive social progress. In the past, what people were conscious of was largely controlled by the major media companies, which had so much power that they could actually conceal wars and genocides from public awareness. With the centralization of so much influence in a handful of social media platforms, we cannot deny that there would be a huge amount of profit in returning to that type of controlled information economy.

Social media has become the new public square, we shouldn't censor anything that we wouldn't do the same for if somebody was handing it out on a street corner. I don't think we should do anything against these companies through the law, but as a society I think the vast majority of people should be supportive of such principles.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Sure filter for naughty words but let videos with deaths, stuff blowing up and weapons go uncensored without any issue.
    American censorship is insane.

It's to the point where they bleep out "bitch" in Frasier (FRASIER! from 99) but my kid can watch Bad Boys II with people getting shot and drugs up the ying yang without issue at 3 in the afternoon :P

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbor View Post
    Are they bringing up topics like sexuality in their videos? If so, I don't see the problem with what they're doing. Sexuality is an age restricted topic of discussion in any other form of media, regardless of what way you swing.
    No it isn't, as the myriad of Disney animated movies are more than happy to explain.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Sounds fine. Why the outrage?
    Because it's 2017, Outrage is like a currency to these people.

I'm sure they will settle down and untwist their panties once they realise it is just a mistake with new Filters.

Hell, it put a Restricted Warning on "We are Number one" meme Videos that had nothing adult in them.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2017-03-20 at 02:58 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aviger View Post
    Sure filter for naughty words but let videos with deaths, stuff blowing up and weapons go uncensored without any issue.
    American censorship is insane.

It's to the point where they bleep out "bitch" in Frasier (FRASIER! from 99) but my kid can watch Bad Boys II with people getting shot and drugs up the ying yang without issue at 3 in the afternoon :P
    why would weapons be censored?

7+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like an exceptionally good business opportunity for the LGBT community: start their own web video sharing service on which they can control access.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    why would weapons be censored?
    Call me crazy but i rather my kid learn how to say "fuck" at an appropriate time than watch people get their brains blown out like it's no big deal

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    In the last 20 years, the internet has really opened up a free market of ideas, which has allowed for a lot of positive social progress. In the past, what people were conscious of was largely controlled by the major media companies, which had so much power that they could actually conceal wars and genocides from public awareness. With the centralization of so much influence in a handful of social media platforms, we cannot deny that there would be a huge amount of profit in returning to that type of controlled information economy.

Social media has become the new public square, we shouldn't censor anything that we wouldn't do the same for if somebody was handing it out on a street corner. I don't think we should do anything against these companies through the law, but as a society I think the vast majority of people should be supportive of such principles.
    I agree with your premise about what is good and bad for society. Censorship sucks, etc.

However, where you lose me, is in the denial of ownership rights.

You have a right to pass out fliers on the street, yes. But, you do not have the right to pass out fliers inside my say, football stadium. The owner of any platform, is the holder of rights on what can be presented there.

There is a big internet out there; YouTube is not the only outlet. If YouTube gets too touchy, and all indications say that they are, then what will likely happen, is that a competitor will arise and over take them, provided the public is in agreement.

It's just the restricted content filter that's used for things like schools or the YouTube Kids (Which is basically aimed at kids younger than 10 or so). That's the kind of restrictions you want to be overzealous.

What if the people that decided to use restricted mode don't want to see lgbt content?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Not saying you are lying, but I don't see any mention of age restriction.
    Maybe he got it lifted already, since he's got a fairly amount of youtube sway, or it just doesn't come up for you due to some settings. It certainly was at some point for him to have tweeted about it.

Good luck getting YouTube to do anything. They don't listen to jack.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aviger View Post
    Call me crazy but i rather my kid learn how to say "fuck" at an appropriate time than watch people get their brains blown out like it's no big deal
    that would be violence not weapons. weapon videos would be like gun show cases or sword showcase.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2017-03-20 at 03:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Maybe he got it lifted already, since he's got a fairly amount of youtube sway. It certainly was at some point for him to have tweeted about it.

No I figured it out. The outrage is over a mode you have to enable yourself. It's not blocked by default.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd prefer Youtube to just lift all restrictions and let people watch whatever they want, omitting the content they don't like through filters.

Sadly, in this case it will likely follow Megaupload and Piratebay footsteps...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I'd prefer Youtube to just lift all restrictions and let people watch whatever they want, omitting the content they don't like through filters.

Sadly, in this case it will likely follow Megaupload and Piratebay footsteps...

The restriction is optional and you have to enable it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...deos-invisible

Youtube is cracking down on LGBT content creators by censoring their content behind 'restricted content' settings, which effectively block access to this content on many devices. I know that many people on this site are incredibly pro-censorship, but this has gone too far.

We must stand with the LGBT community against these internet censorship fascists.
    yeah, no. lgbt and all that crap related to it should be banned.