Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    if the trend is that:

Diamonds = prettiest/best = most expensive

then once they fall out of favor the jewelers will just increase the price of what ever other stones are trending... thus:

any stone = the prettiest/best = most expensive.

just have to catch it at the right time.. game it if you are so pro. i doubt you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nowadays you can buy a good looking ring for a couple of dollars. I don't see any reason to spend astronomical sums on a ring, other than bragging.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    The wish for a diamond wedding ring "just because" would be an absolute deal breaker for me. It's expensive and serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. Better to buy 2 killer gaming PCs instead.

Yep, the return on investment is sometimes not worth it.

BTW - what does it say about a woman who is only satisfied with a 10k+ ring?

Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    good. you should use whatever stone you find beautiful and can afford. my wife's set is moissanite and she gets a ton of compliments on it and was not a bad price. only bad thing about them is they are/were under a monopoly via patent until this year or next year.
    Yeah, it's much better to try and get a ring that has some sort of personal meaning/significance. That's why when I bought a ring I went with something that is more meaningful, both with the band and the gemstone.

I got this one for the misses and then had an orange sapphire custom mounted onto it.

She's a huge Harry Potter fan so the ring combined with the gem is reminiscent of a phoenix feather. It's the only piece of jewelry she wears so I wanted something that'd be meaningful. Also related, that picture is another example of how a photo does not do gemstones justice, because her ring looks amazing in the sunlight. Between all of the tiny diamonds on the band and the sapphire in the center the thing really does look like a phoenix feather the way it shimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    if the trend is that:

Diamonds = prettiest/best = most expensive

then once they fall out of favor the jewelers will just increase the price of what ever other stones are trending... thus:

any stone = the prettiest/best = most expensive.

just have to catch it at the right time.. game it if you are so pro. i doubt you are.

It won't be so easy to just raise the prices on the others. Diamonds are only expensive because one Corporation, has a world wide monopoly on them. If actual supply and demand were applied with multiple distributes, Diamonds would easily be 1/10 if not 1/100 their current price. The other gem stones don't have one single monopoly holder, so they won't so easily have their prices jacked up. And if people choose other gem stones, than diamonds will have to start lowering their prices in order to compete.

I prefer Spessartite garnet myself. here is a pic of my engagement ring, plus a mineral specimen of said garnet that I own.

Unless the stone is over 1ct they have very little resale value unlike precious metals.

Deleted
    Why should the man pay a fortune, what does she pay for in return? Nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    This is because millennials are broke.They're lazy and don't contribute anything but outrage to society.
    Ah yes. It's intresting that every generation thinks like this about the next generation.

Someones getting old.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warhoof View Post
    Why should the man pay a fortune, what does she pay for in return? Nothing.
    Or you could buy them together?

And it’s millennials leading the way by opting for coloured stones, such as rubies, sapphires and emeralds, due to ethical, financial and creative tastes.
    Oh yes, more stones mined by poor African workers in warzones, diamond weren't enough, poor millenials want some diversity in their jewellery, leading to more conflicts and wars. Good shit you're promoting here Tenissalol, you should be ashamed of yourself, you disgust me.

Deleted
    The one ring has no stone.

The were a scam anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    fun fact - good rubies, sapphires and emeralds are far more expensive and rare than a good diamond. that said - there are quite a few options that work wonderfully in rings, even while not being as high up on Mohs scale as above stones are. or if you want a pale hardy stone that is not overly pricey - aquamarine is good (beryl same as emerald, but with different minerals as inclusions, hence the different color), or various topazes that are only one degree bellow rubies and sapphires on hardness scale and come in all kinds of colors, including clear - and look gorgeous.

personaly, I'm a big fan of quartzes in rings. they are hardy and beautiful enough, yet very inexpensive even at higher quality (think amethysts, citrines, etc). and same hardness number as emeralds but at a fraction of a cost.
    My engagement ring has 5 Amethysts in it It's by far prettier than any boring diamond rings I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Millennial's do not fall for the bullshit. Takes about 3 seconds to look up Adam Explains Diamond Rings to understand why the entire tradition is made up bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    They definitely exist ^^ Not that I personally know one who is still available, me included.
    Keep your eyes open for me!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    i dont like diamonds, i cant tell the difference between them & quartz by the looks. much prefer colored stones as well.
    actually really like epoxy rings even (though i imagine they wont hold up as long).

people in my line of work usually have rubber or tattooed rings anyways, lest they lose a finger.
    Whats your line of work?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    If your significant other would rather have "proof" of your love in the form of a useless trinket vs, say, a down payment on a home, that should be a giant flashing warning sign.
    Amen to this ... but trying to tell most women this sort of thing just gets you labeled as passionless or cheap.

Good diamonds being massively artificially price-inflated has become common knowledge. Diamonds look boring and are common, why would anyone want it on, perhaps, the most important piece of jewellery they'll own?
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Considering the divorce rate, it really is a bad investment to spend so much money on a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Honestly, I can't explain this to you if you've never actually handled high end diamonds. I have. I'm telling you, pictures never do them justice.
    You could go with the science... something something refraction something light bounces inside the diamond as the majority of it is refracted back inside the gem when attempting to pass from the verydense diamond into the not so dense air something something. Honestly as you can tell I'm not 100% sure of the pernickety details but its something along those lines. I think many people aren't aware that *that* is why Diamond sparkles in a way that cut glass andother stones simply can't.
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2017-03-20 at 12:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

People are still getting engaged/married in 2017?