Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the possibility of a revolution is way higher than that of a civil war. The problem with civil war is that there aren't clear lines to split upon. Texas has a lot of Democrats, and California has a lot of Republicans, and there's no easy way to tell who is who. And in the case of a civil war, the US military would /HAVE/ to get involved, and the majority of it is likely to side with whatever group of people didn't start firing first. Plus the rallying points are weak at the moment. Democrats may have voted for Clinton, but none I know liked her enough to die for her. And while there's a very very loud group of diehard Trump fans, there's a whole lot of Republicans who aren't too keen on him either and wouldn't follow him into a civil war.

Poor vs rich is a more plausible scenario. The military is harder to predict in that case, a LOT of the military comes from poorer families, and they're not going to be eager to shoot their own parents or siblings. Much of it would probably just sit it out, since it's a no-win scenario for them. But even then, for that to happen there has to be enough people who believe that the future for their families is /so/ bleak that dying for the chance at better is acceptable. The quality of life for most of the poor in the US simply isn't that horrible yet in most places. It's been headed that direction perhaps, but it'd still take a fairly major trigger event to push it over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    More divided than during the Independence War? More divided than during the Civil war? More divided than during the days of McCarthyism? More divided than during governmental racism in 60-s? Come on now.
    Actually right now, the seething hatred between democrats and republicans is much stronger than racism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    I think the possibility of a revolution is way higher than that of a civil war. The problem with civil war is that there aren't clear lines to split upon. Texas has a lot of Democrats, and California has a lot of Republicans, and there's no easy way to tell who is who. And in the case of a civil war, the US military would /HAVE/ to get involved, and the majority of it is likely to side with whatever group of people didn't start firing first. Plus the rallying points are weak at the moment. Democrats may have voted for Clinton, but none I know liked her enough to die for her. And while there's a very very loud group of diehard Trump fans, there's a whole lot of Republicans who aren't too keen on him either and wouldn't follow him into a civil war.
    Here is the most likely scenario.

Right now, 0% of republicans trust the mainstream media. Its at zero. This is unprecedented. Even during the vietnam war, a majority of republicans trusted the media. There has been a slow decline in trust for decades and it finally collapsed in 2016. So they've tuned out. The republicans now get the their news from alt-right sources. Of course, democrats mock the alt-right and consider it discredited, but the republicans find it credible. So let's say eventually the democrats build a case in the mainstream press to impeach and remove Trump. The mainstream press thinks its very strong. Democrats in congress are all for it. Republicans in congress decide to go along with it too because they feel the pressure.

Trump gets removed. THEN you get civil unrest and civil war breaks out.

Republicans will be in shock at his removal because the media THEY trust said the reasons to remove him are NOT credible. So to republicans, the system has FAILED. They feel totally disenfranchised. Their vote doesn't count. So screw the system, they get the rifles out and mobilize. Republicans feel they have nothing to lose because they just had their vote taken away. Civil war erupts. And it all goes to hell from there.

Trump wouldn't be leading a civil war. The republican party would fall apart after Trump's removal and some right-wing radical will pick up the banner and call to shoot and kill all democrats.

If you think of how the USSR emerged, at first they tried to establish a moderate government in Russia with a guy named Kerensky. But he got removed. It was the people AFTER Kerensky that were the radicals. Kerensky got usurped by Lenin and Stalin. Trump is the Kerensky.

For democrats, they would go from elation and joy that Trump has been removed to horror at what follows him.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2017-03-20 at 10:03 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    ....I'll pass lmao.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    Is it time for America to become two? I dont wanna say those two nasty words, but do you think it's time?

And if so, would you pick up arms to fight for your side? I personally think this is so scary.
    Well the US right wing / conservatives have wanted to secede since ratification. Their views are antithetical to liberal democracy. Failure to execute high ranking confederate military and political officials and post-war reconstruction in the 1800's are why these authoritarian views are alive in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    Is it time for America to become two? I dont wanna say those two nasty words, but do you think it's time?

And if so, would you pick up arms to fight for your side? I personally think this is so scary.
    40% of registered voters didn't vote, we can't be that divided.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Yeah, man. The differences between fans of Coke and fans of Pepsi are just irreconcilable and it's best if we went our separate ways.
    No such things as fans of pepsi. Just people for who pepsi is or is not okay for in the absence of coke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    All of those celebrities paid to endorse the product would seem to disagree.

Also I see that you undied.
    Heroes never die

And if those celebrities actually LIKED pepsi, maybe they wouldn't need to be paid to endorse it! Hmmm! Hmm!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    The country isn't that divided. Don't let fear mongering from the left or right fool you about that. Shits just politics as usual its all just a lot louder because of how prevalent the internet is nowadays.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    The country isn't that divided. Don't let fear mongering from the left or right fool you about that. Shits just politics as usual its all just a lot louder because of how prevalent the internet is nowadays.
    Conservative ideology has never wanted a unified country, they have always maintained that they want to dismantle and nullify federal authority so they can further their interests in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Hypothetically what's the chance on the American military splitting to support their favoured side in a civil war as citizen's are prone to do? Alternatively what's the chance of American Soldiers stealing equipment and defecting to an defined "opposing side" in a civil war if they feel that the full use of military against the people they are meant to protect goes against their moral obligations and passion for their country?
    it would come down to which side was seen as acting right under the constitution, there is a reason why we swore to it vs a person. In theory if the gov't started acting against the constitution (i'm talking obvious here not the obama / trump is violating this or that), the military would support the people rising up against the gov't.

As for a hard left / right political split the majority of the military tends to be right leaning so i'd say if some how it happened then yes the majority of the military would support the right.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    How could americans voted him?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    HAHA, no. We're still way to comfortable to ever consider it. /thread.
    Yep. That's pretty much all there is to it.

When has America agreed on anything? Why stop at its bisection? Rich to the west and poor to the east? Black vs. white? Gays vs. straights? What about religion and everything in between?

- - - Updated - - -

I know! Assimilate into Mexico!

I doubt there would be much of a fight.

You know I don't agree with it completely, but Louis CK once had a great line about divorce in general I think applies here

"Divorce is always good news. I know that sounds weird, but it’s true because no good marriage has ever ended in divorce … That would be sad. If two people were married and they were really and they just had a great thing and then they got divorced, that would be really sad. But that has happened zero times."
    If the US were to break up in a nonviolent and agreeable fashion, I think people would look back in 50 years with no regrets, and actually wonder why the country bothered staying together when it meant having to tolerate vastly different regional ideologies in the favor of togetherness. Just about no one ever had less people in charge of them and complained about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post

If the US were to break up in a nonviolent and agreeable fashion, I think people would look back in 50 years with no regrets, and actually wonder why the country bothered staying together when it meant having to tolerate vastly different regional ideologies in the favor of togetherness. Just about no one ever had less people in charge of them and complained about it.
    Regional ideology? US conservative ideology has always been against the constitution and democratic ideals held in the constitution. Modern conservatism is neo-confederate, wanting to nullify federal power to ensure their moneyed interests in their states wouldn't be questioned. Look at conservative states currently, they suppress civic engagement, imprison more of their citizens, have higher inequality, and actively work against issues that would benefit their citizens. This is exactly what Deep Southern and Tidewater regions of the US looked like pre-civil war.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    The ancient greeks were against electoral democracy because it encouraged:
    elitism / nepotism / political families (Clinton),
    dangerous demagogues and populists (Trump),
    and civil war...

Food for thought.
    The ancient Greeks were also against universal franchises.

It's almost as if humans don't all think the same thing and in fact have wide and diverse sets of beliefs

10+ Year Old Account
    The tension raised and then it fell down. I'd say the US are going to be just fine.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided because of a cheeto?

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Give it a generation or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.