Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    PBS doesn't fund Sir Attenbro doco's to the best of my knowledge, that is the BBC in UK who force citizens to fund them through TV licensing fee's which result in imprisonment for not paying. Also I am sure the 10 year olds father know's who he is. I grew up with no TV until I was 12 (no reception at the time in outback Australia) and still knew who he was. Also when you live rural, every day is a nature documentary

I don't know what NOVA is though.
    Yes BBC funds Attenborough (which is why I mentioned BBC iPlayer.

I grew up in a rural area (though nto the outback).

Nova:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_(TV_series)

It's one of PBS's marquee shows. It's a science / engineering show. Sometimes history (especially history through science).

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Well once you get rid of tithes, which are just mandatory church fees, but can be written off as charitable donations... yes?
    >implying that only Conservatives are religious.

I know just as many Religious Left Wing people as I do Right Wing people. I also know many Atheist Right Wing people.

But keep up with that whole "DURR HURR ONLY LIBRULS ARE GUD PEOPLE!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Trump trophy wife's security costs more than much of the funding. GG
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Who'd have thunk, Trump voters shot themselves in the foot. It's only a billionth time.
    When low income families voted Republican it's a clear sign they can't take care of themselves in any perceivable way. Trump/GOP is misusing them badly, and that alone is a disgrace. That other Republicans who understand that let that happen says alot about their character. Despicable.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

Well my kids watch Sesame Street literally every single day and were watching it when I left. I knew Republicans were cold but never imagined they were this cold. I strongly suggest people look up documentaries about the Great Depression and Herbert Hoover.

Paul Ryan sounds IDENTICAL to Hoover who let the depression drag on for years and told people to rely on charities.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Well my kids watch Sesame Street literally every single day and were watching it when I left. I knew Republicans were cold but never imagined they were this cold. I strongly suggest people look up documentaries about the Great Depression and Herbert Hoover.

Paul Ryan sounds IDENTICAL to Hoover who let the depression drag on for years and told people to rely on charities.
    Just waiting for the part where he calls out the army on a bunch of protesters.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post

That's not an accident. You hit the nail on the head, maybe without realizing the degree to which.

Ask yourself, why do Democrats care about Healthcare? Why for decades, Healthcare more than almost anything else? It's because historically, it is the last unfinished piece of the New Deal. After World War II, universal healthcare popped up across Europe, most notably with the creation of the NHS and the Wellfare state in post-war UK. The New Deal and post-War America was, relief from the Great Depression aside, the American implementation of a set of liberal polices that were washing over the West.

While many Republicans want to reform or modernize the New Deal, there has been, stretching back to the 1940s, a strain of Republicans (often the most powerful segment) who on purely ideological grounds want to dismantle it. Originally it was to roll back Roosevelt. The expansion of the state, his attempt at Court Packing, his 4 terms... all of it represented an epochal rejection of historical American conservatism (which, in it's most recognizable form, let's date as something that came together between 1900 and 1924). As generations turned over... as New Deal democrats came and went, and Republicans transformed several times over... the historical basis was forgotten. But that is it's origin. You mention Hoover? In a sense some Republicans want Hoover avenged, even if they don't think about it like that. Their mentor's mentor's mentor may have.

When we hear Bannon's insanity about how he wants to roll back the "Administrative State", let's be clear, this is what he's talking about. The modern "US Federal Government" as we know it is a Great Depression-> World War II -> Post-World War II construction that was modernized pretty much once a decade since then (e.g., the Department of Homeland Security creation in the 2000s, the reorganization of Federal Government in the 1970s). But it's very existence has been the barrier to undoing Roosevelt's legacy.

Of course a Federal Government defanged like that is music to the alt-right's ears. No stopping a virtual roll back of the civil rights era and a marginalization of minorities and vulnerable groups in the reddest of states. If New York has an EPA, who cares... Alabama won't have one in effect. Kansas has been experimenting with bullshit tax laws for the past few years... and Sam Brownback's been pretty much wrecking state finances. That is their model... every state a Kansas.

The far right to a degree knows it can't make the entirety of the United States in its nightmarish alt-right image (and this is certainly something that most conservatives wouldn't want either). So it's accomplishing the next best thing: attempting dismantle the one thing that would stop them from doing it in their states.

They can dress it up in all the flowery vision they like but it comes down to this:

(1) Undoing the civil rights era
    (2) Dismantling any avenues that Liberal / Moderate states can influence in any way the policies of the most conservative (hence shutting down the CPI, EPA)
    (3) Dismantling any national level "expert consensus" (with their inconvenient facts, see GAO).
    (4) Making it all extremely difficult to undo.

But notice they don't go after the actual BULK of the "Administrative State"? The growers of Federal Spending - Medicare and Social Security? That's because that's wealth Transfer... from richer blue states to poorer Red states.

That's why I call these people fake-conservatives. These aren't conservative principles whatsoever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anevers View Post
    Just waiting for the part where he calls out the army on a bunch of protesters.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump...ry?id=46243176
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/201617/ga...-approval.aspx

Trump's approval rating is at 37%.

Gallup- Job approval upon hitting 60 days in office:
    Carter 75
    Reagan 60
    HW Bush 56
    Clinton 53
    W Bush 58
    Obama 63

Trump... 37

Gallup- Job *disapproval* upon hitting 60 days in office:
    Carter 9
    Reagan 24
    HW Bush 16
    Clinton 34
    W Bush 29
    Obama 26

Trump... 58

If President Watersports wants to see the 20s, he can call out the Army. But his real problem is that 57% of Americans 18-30 see him as illegitimate. Trump's legitimacy problems are getting worse, not better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Except your stats back up my claims. If only 13% don't have internet via choice, that leaves even less who can't get internet. Also, your assertion doesn't really jive with the AM radio aspect of NPR. There are TONS of stations offering news, music, Jesus, and any number of other things up and down the AM dial. The entire premise that NPR fills a void, is completely ridiculous. Furthermore, since they are competing unfairly in the market, they should be done away with just on those grounds.

- - - Updated - - -

It's state ran media, akin to RT. /shrug
    Actually, it disproves your claim. You made the claim that everyone has internet and cable tv. Now, clearly you meant that everyone had access to those things. Alas, not even that is true. Getting internet and cable television in many rural areas is difficult, if not impossible. My sister lives in an area with no cell reception, no cable television, and no access to the internet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I didn't lie. Don't call me names, please. I did not disrespect you, or call you names.

Saying things like, "Nobody goes to that restaurant" are not taken literally by most people in causal conversation. You taking it as literal is bizarre. Just sayin...
    If you make a false statement, then refuse to retract it when it is shown to be false, you are lying. You clearly made a false statement, and since contradictory evidence has been shown to disprove your claim... you are either wrong, or lying. Since you refuse to walk it back, then you are lying. Don't get mad at others for calling you out on your bullshit. You try to play the victim card every time this happens. Maybe, you should stop saying shit that is easy to disprove.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Can say for sure if they care at all, but interesting whom the impact will hit the most

I support a blanket cut across the board in the govt, but this is not a blanket cut....this is a defunding and reapplying mostly toward defense spending and a worthless wall. that i do not support.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...defund-pbs-npr

Defunding the Corporation for Public Broadcasting won’t kill PBS. It will hurt Trump voters.
    Most of the organization’s money goes toward keeping rural PBS and NPR stations alive.

But the majority of PBS programming is produced by outside entities — member stations, another country’s broadcasters, or independent production companies (like Sesame Workshop) — and those outside entities usually secure their funding via means other than the government.

It’s true that just over 23 percent of the CPB’s budget (nearly entirely derived from the federal government) goes toward the development and acquisition of television and radio programming

But most of the federal government’s dollars to CPB (just over 65 percent) go toward one thing: keeping rural PBS and NPR stations alive. These stations only continue to operate due to funding from the federal government. If Trump’s proposed budget becomes law, PBS and NPR themselves will continue to exist, on TV, on the radio, and on digital platforms.

The rural areas served by those stations backed Trump heavily. He received 62 percent of the vote in rural counties. Thus, his budget’s proposed defunding of CPB is yet another way that a policy proposed by Trump seems as if it will have the most adverse effect on those who voted for him.

I promise you this, if you can't get internet in an area, you can't get PBS either without a satellite dish. I don't even live that far from the city but I can't pickup any over the air stations without spending lots of money and cash on a rooftop antenna.

I don't really care if the government cuts funding to CPB and NPR. Let them focus more on donations, or let them falter. However, that certainly impacts rural voters more than city folk. With an antenna, I can get more than 50 channels. Where I grew up, we got two.... barely. One of those happened to be PBS. Not only that, many of the people there have no access to cable television, and don't even have cell reception. It will impact rural residents more, I'm not sure why that's even in question.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I promise you this, if you can't get internet in an area, you can't get PBS either without a satellite dish. I don't even live that far from the city but I can't pickup any over the air stations without spending lots of money and cash on a rooftop antenna.
    What's "that far from the city"? Digital Over the air has a radius of 45 miles for a $15 antenna on top of your TV. A $35 antenna outside can get you 150 miles.

My bullshit detector is going haywire.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    What's "that far from the city"? Digital Over the air has a radius of 45 miles for a $15 antenna on top of your TV. A $35 antenna outside can get you 150 miles.

My bullshit detector is going haywire.

You see, there are these things called Tree's and Hills that get in the way, this might be surprising to you but in many places they are around. I like how you didn't factor in paying someone to mount the antenna or do you think everyone already owns large ladders or has the ability to climb on a roof to mount it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Good, this is karmic retribution.

They can jolly well pull up their own bootstraps as they like to say.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes BBC funds Attenborough (which is why I mentioned BBC iPlayer.

I grew up in a rural area (though nto the outback).

Nova:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_(TV_series)

It's one of PBS's marquee shows. It's a science / engineering show. Sometimes history (especially history through science).

Looks like a cool show like the old program 'quantum' we used to have here in Australia.

Anyway, its a poor example to argue against reduced funding by your President. I am sure they can survive by being more efficient with their budget; I can offer my services as a 'business operational excellence' manager to cut the fat on things that the customer see's as not a mandatory expenditure to meet their requirements
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Relying on tv for educating children. Oh wait that's right its America
    Nobody said America relies on TV for educating children, it's just one of the many good tools to introduce children to the multitudes of subjects they might catch an interest on and make a living when they enter society.

But umm, keep up with the far right strawmen.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

You see, there are these things called Tree's and Hills that get in the way, this might be surprising to you but in many places they are around. I like how you didn't factor in paying someone to mount the antenna or do you think everyone already owns large ladders or has the ability to climb on a roof to mount it.
    Get a pole to put it on and an electrician or a handyman?

Get a pole to put it on and an electrician or a handyman?
    Do you think people are paying putting money into this project to watch PBS or do you think they are doing it to watch real stations? I find the outrage more legit if it came from people who it affects.

Looks like a cool show like the old program 'quantum' we used to have here in Australia.

Anyway, its a poor example to argue against reduced funding by your President. I am sure they can survive by being more efficient with their budget; I can offer my services as a 'business operational excellence' manager to cut the fat on things that the customer see's as not a mandatory expenditure to meet their requirements
    He's not my President. He's other peoples. A bunch of deplorables in declining States went insane and elected a sexual predator / con artist, and any day now they'll realize what they've done and kill themselves. Suicide by facepalm.

But that said, cutting the CPB doesn't remotely address our budget issues. it's 0.03% of Federal spending. There is no serious discussion about Federal Spending that doesn't begin with the 3 main drivers of government spending growth: Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think people are paying putting money into this project to watch PBS or do you think they are doing it to watch real stations? I find the outrage more legit if it came from people who it affects.
    (1) PBS is a real station, and it's a joke you wouldn't consider it one.
    (2) Why not both?

10+ Year Old Account
    He's not my President. He's other peoples. A bunch of deplorables in declining States went insane and elected a sexual predator / con artist, and any day now they'll realize what they've done and kill themselves. Suicide by facepalm.

But that said, cutting the CPB doesn't remotely address our budget issues. it's 0.03% of Federal spending. There is no serious discussion about Federal Spending that doesn't begin with the 3 main drivers of government spending growth: Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

- - - Updated - - -

(1) PBS is a real station, and it's a joke you wouldn't consider it one.
    (2) Why not both?
    Arr you fell for the fake news spin of silly bullshit. I remember when the media originally tried that sexual harressment thing but the women they cited said no they are wrong, then the media realised they need to pay them off. So many of them were disproved as false and the payments were also released. No wonder you're saying such silly nonsense to begin with. I implore you to start being a better critical thinker, read the wikileaks emails on just how corrupted the big 6 media megacorps are.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Arr you fell for the fake news spin of silly bullshit. I remember when the media originally tried that sexual harressment thing but the women they cited said no they are wrong, then the media realised they need to pay them off. So many of them were disproved as false and the payments were also released. No wonder you're saying such silly nonsense to begin with. I implore you to start being a better critical thinker, read the wikileaks emails on just how corrupted the big 6 media megacorps are.

Yeah okay. Anyway you alt-right people appropriating "fake news" for shit you don't like to hear doesn't actually work. It's a stupid strategy and you should find a better one.