Feedback on my new build?

So I need to get myself a new PC, current one is 4-5 years old and GPU is dying and I would rather just upgrade the whole system than just getting a new GPU. This is what I've come up with so far - https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/TNEKmPwo3OIU_tQUBIGzSw,,

Any advice on changes/alternative parts? Right now I mainly play WoW/Diablo but there's some interesting things going to be coming in the next couple of years I'm sure and I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks in advance,

Brael.

Case, HDD, PSU, Motherboard, CPU Cooler.

Cooler inventory is pretty limited there so the choice is suboptimal, but a 212 EVO is not an option for any serious overclocking on KL. Also the case is the last thing you should save on, especially if you're building yourself.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming you're willing to shop around you can get a much better system for the same price: (Tried to re-use as many parts as you had picked as possible.)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£310.90 @ Alza)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£68.26 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£142.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£123.79 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£85.19 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£65.75 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card (£487.50 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: Cooler Master MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£52.83 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.77 @ Amazon UK)
    Other: Windows 10 key from Kinguin (£27.64)
    Total: £1449.60
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-19 07:38 GMT+0000

Kinguin is a third party seller of OS's. Buy the £1 protection and you're golden. The SSD got shrunk to a 275gb instead of 500gb. Your OS and a couple of your primary games will still fit on it comfortably. These two changes, plus the price discounts of ordering from different places, allowed you to fit a 1080 / 7700k in there. This will most assuredly allow you to play anything interesting in the next couple of years... or four.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

@Thunderball, thanks for the alternatives, made the changes you suggest, any particular reason on the change of case? I don't plan on building myself, Aria offer build and stress test along with BIOS and OS installation for £49.99 which imo is reasonable.

@ovm33 Aria actually do price matching so before I give them a call I'll check out Amazon and the other sites you linked to quote the difference. I've been thinking of upgrading to the 7700k and 1080, is it worth the extra cost?
    Last edited by Brael; 2017-03-19 at 02:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    @Thunderball, thanks for the alternatives, made the changes you suggest, any particular reason on the change of case? I don't plan on building myself, Aria offer build and stress test along with BIOS and OS installation for £49.99 which imo is reasonable.

@ovm33 Aria actually do price matching so before I give them a call I'll check out Amazon and the other sites you linked to quote the difference. I've been thinking of upgrading to the 7700k and 1080, is it worth the extra cost?
    In my opinion 4c / 8t chips (i7 / R5) have now become the sweet spot. Sure you can get by with a i5 (4c) or even an i3 (2c / 4t) but more and more games are starting to leverage multi-core CPU's and I would expect them to be almost mandatory, or at the very least nice to have, within the lifetime of your build for triple a titles. So yes, I believe the extra hundred quid for an i7 is worth the investment now. A year ago I would have said no. The other thing to consider is that the AMD Ryzen R5 is coming out in like two weeks. You will get very similar performance* for half the price if you wait. (*Subject to benchmarks etc.)

The 1080 is another story. There are two schools of thought on the subject. The first being buy the best you can afford now and stave off upgrading for as long as possible. The second is to buy the best bang for you buck card on the market and upgrade it every 1-2 years as it starts to show it's age. I fall into the buy the best you can afford category but completely understand the other school of thought as well. If all you played was WoW / Diablo then I would tell you to save your cash and get a 1060 / 480 but since you want to be open for future titles... The 1080 would likely last 4 years or so if you're playing at 1080p. But it also costs a lot. /shrug

Final note that I tell everyone who is going to have someone else build their computer. Save money and do it yourself. It's easy, I swear. Lego for adults is the going term for it. Plus the sense of satisfaction / ownership is well worth the Saturday you spend doing it. I won't knock you if you choose to have someone else do it but I truly think you won't regret doing it yourself. Believe in yourself. /wipes manly inspired tear away.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

If you are dropping that kind of cash you need to also consider amd ryzen, it is going to be a more valid CPU down the road especially if you keep your PC for a decent amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brael View Post
    It's a good case for building, affordable, durable, made well, offers decent cooling and storage options for the price, the only downsides are the lack of 5,25 inch capability (which is not a problem for most people these days) and inability to install very tall aircoolers (which you're not using). I believe there was also a NZXT S340 option out there (which is one of the to-go's aswell), but only in white, so went with this.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    If you are dropping that kind of cash you need to also consider amd ryzen, it is going to be a more valid CPU down the road especially if you keep your PC for a decent amount of time.
    AMD fanatics have been saying this for the last 7+ years. The level of multi-core optimization needed to make AMD superior to Intel is not going to happen.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot today for a fake promise of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    AMD fanatics have been saying this for the last 7+ years. The level of multi-core optimization needed to make AMD superior to Intel is not going to happen.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot today for a fake promise of tomorrow.
    Actually they haven't, reasonable AMD fans knew FX was a turd, ryzen is not FX. FX was not an actual 8 core chip it was more akin to an i7, ryzen r7 is proper 8 core with 16 threads, and there is absolutely a chance of it becoming a better gaming cpu than an i7 in the future, and its already besting i5's in a lot of titles.

As of right now the i7 is the better choice for gaming, but if a person is building in 2017 they actually do have to consider AMD especially if they are the type of person that only buys/builds a new PC every 5+ years.

Tim Sweeny/epic are hard at work to improve the Unreal engine to better support more cores, but it is very complicated and who knows how long it will take, I'm cautiously optimistic though as other engines also start supporting more cores better.