Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Destro. Got my 2 BiS legendaries. Loved it before 7.1.5, i'm getting used to ILT atm.

54 traits in aff, hood, back, and belt legendaries (as well as the slow ring ) and played on PTR long enough to get the rend soul trait and a few of the 3 traits up to 4 with pretty average gear (894 equipped) able to pull 750-800k dps on target dummy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlebolt View Post
    Well I Killed Star augur as destro and we had no problems. Most ToS fights look very good for destro with wh, looks like the go to spec for progression.
    Destruction was and will always be the best progression spec just because of toolkit, may not be amazing at anything but can do everything Ok-ish (or your name is sparkuggz then youre a god at everything)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BannedForViews View Post
    What exactly is there to love about affliction, outside of numbers.
    I just like it, maybe because it's fairly simple or because I get better results than with destro and I don't like how demo plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltas View Post
    Baked in self healing strong enough to never need healing, ever.

Not that that outweighs being unable to target swap, but with prydaz on, I can just ignore mechanics and outheal everything.
    Since I play a lot solo (all my friends quit) and PvP the selfhealing is a big plus for me
    Last edited by mmoc54945b7ad9; 2017-03-20 at 09:33 AM.

I want to play affliction, but seeing how it is more annoying than fun (and now im not talking numbers) I find myself logging on to play less and less. Will see if the Rend Soul-trait is enough to remove the excessive annoyance of the spec, but if not I will probably just quit.

it all depends on how good is the new Destro traits, looks sick, with aoe CB and flame rift, but before it hits live you dont know. Getting bored with Aff, may try destro, i have the two core legendaris anyway.

As a vanilla warlock main that has always loved the concept of dots, I find myself avoiding legion affliction.

It's playstyle is a mockery at old affliction veterans, people rerolling locks just to play the 3 button rotation and deal high numbers, problem is people are satisfied with just doing numbers regardless of whether a spec is boring or not, which is sad tbh. I'm afraid to say affliction has lost any relevance regarding to skill compared to some of it's past iterations, and no proper usage of reap is not exactly what I would consider "skill", what a mockery.

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    As a vanilla warlock main that has always loved the concept of dots, I find myself avoiding legion affliction.

It's playstyle is a mockery at old affliction veterans, people rerolling locks just to play the 3 button rotation and deal high numbers, problem is people are satisfied with just doing numbers regardless of whether a spec is boring or not, which is sad tbh. I'm afraid to say affliction has lost any relevance regarding to skill compared to some of it's past iterations, and no proper usage of reap is not exactly what I would consider "skill", what a mockery.
    ....and the old aff skill was letting an addon tell when you shouldn't overwrite your dots with weaker dots. Oh the mockery.

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
    ....and the old aff skill was letting an addon tell when you shouldn't overwrite your dots with weaker dots. Oh the mockery.
    You are defending current affliction playstyle ? yes old affliction was more fun and required more braincell , if you used an addon to tell you when to overwrite your own dots it's completely understandable why you would enjoy current affliction.

Run along plz.

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post

I agree, and when the skillcap is replaced by an rng-cap, it kind of destroys the spec.

Quote Originally Posted by noaim View Post
    I agree, and when the skillcap is replaced by an rng-cap, it kind of destroys the spec.
    In fairness the last two xpacs had much larger RNG variance just due to trinkets alone, especially in mop with snapshotting.

Not sure how far back one would want to go before they reach the skillcap xpac.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    In fairness the last two xpacs had much larger RNG variance just due to trinkets alone, especially in mop with snapshotting.

Not sure how far back one would want to go before they reach the skillcap xpac.
    I quit playing after killing Sha of Fear, so cant comment alot on MoP (and nothing at all on WoD) but I dont remember it being very RNG at that point at least, or in Cata/WotLK. You were relying a lot on draining with the MG we had then too, but we had KJC so we could drain while moving anyways with that version (always up, small snare). For the fights were Destro was better, you also had much better control of when you got shards (embers) and when/how to spend them iirc.

Ofc my memory might serve me wrong, but I honestly dont remember doing the exact same shit for say 1-2 minutes of a fight, with the difference being 20-25% dps sometimes. Now we have soul shards, souls, fatal echoes, movement at the wrong time and in mine (and many others) case, Whispers in the Dark (not aff specific though), all subject to rng. Was it really as bad then, or are you referring to later in MoP/WoD? Because then as I said, I cant really comment on it. But it was not this bad in WotLK or Cataclysm for sure. Not in TBC either, it is hard to add RNG to SB-spam, apart from early crits making us pop soulshatter too early rendering us useless if tank threat was bad

Ofc my memory might serve me wrong, but I honestly dont remember doing the exact same shit for say 1-2 minutes of a fight, with the difference being 20-25% dps sometimes.
    Mop trinkets were ludicrously powerful, getting a few procs over the course of the fight at the correct time could easily result in more than a 20-25% swing. There was also almost nothing to affliction at the time, you maintained 3 dots, spammed filler, and empowered dots with haunt under procs / in order not to cap. It was a pretty brain dead spec. The biggest portion of your damage swings came from snapshotting procs and making sure you had shards for when that happened.

Hence why they removed snapshots in wod, because it was dominating gameplay and causing massive swings in players performance.

Affli on WotLK, and before, was more a support role spec with the all kind of Curses as: Curse of Weakness, Curse of Tongue, Curse of Elements, Curse of Exhaustion, and another few that i dont remember at the moment... This, and 3 different kind of buff with our demons (imp, felhunter, felguard (AKA, hybrid affly demo build)), made a REALLY fun and reactive way to play... As you could swith curses on the course of the fight as it was needed.

Now, Affli is just... Plain and simple, maybe even boring to some point (never have been feeling boring with my lock before, on any spec).

Mop trinkets were ludicrously powerful, getting a few procs over the course of the fight at the correct time could easily result in more than a 20-25% swing. There was also almost nothing to affliction at the time, you maintained 3 dots, spammed filler, and empowered dots with haunt under procs / in order not to cap. It was a pretty brain dead spec. The biggest portion of your damage swings came from snapshotting procs and making sure you had shards for when that happened.

Hence why they removed snapshots in wod, because it was dominating gameplay and causing massive swings in players performance.
    Not to mention an addon told you exactly when to snapshot.

But were overpowered trinkets an affliction problem or a trinket problem?

But were overpowered trinkets an affliction problem or a trinket problem?
    Both?

The affliction design barely changed going into wod, but without snapshots it was pretty terrible and monotonous to play.

Affliction.

Warlocks to me are about curses and drains and a liiiitle bit of demon. If affliction is playable, i'll go with it, easy or not.

Also, legendaries: got my first 2 dps legendaries (#7 and #8 total) as afflic, got nothing for demon and destro unless prydaz/norg/sephuz/sacrolash/pants.
    Thanks for the heads up!

Both?

The affliction design barely changed going into wod, but without snapshots it was pretty terrible and monotonous to play.
    So no other spec benefitted from it?

So no other spec benefitted from it?
    Was that the question I was supposed to be answering prior?