Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    any ETA for the first season of defenders? 13 episode? or a full on 22?
    Actually, it's a mini series... Last I heard they were shooting for 6 episodes.

It's coming soon though. They recently finished filming, so it's now going in for SFX.

Also, didn't realise till a friend pointed it out: The Drunken Master fight... It was against Zhou Cheng. As awesome as that fight was, seems a bit of a waste of an awesome character.

Sorta like they did with the Bride of Nine Spiders...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I rather enjoyed the show. It was certainly better than Luke Cage(I liked LC for the most part but it just didn't feel right to me), and I would put it roughly on par with Jessica Jones. Jessica Jones had the better villain whereas Iron Fist had more likable characters. I guess depending on what aspects of the story and tone are more important to you I could see either being ranked higher than the other. I hope if/when we get a second season they tighten up the choreography and expand upon his powers, but other than that I feel the first season was a decent enough introduction to the character.

As for the "controversy" that is frankly stupid. I know a lot of people feel that his race is unimportant and that they could have cast an Asian actor(even though that just plays into Asian stereotypes that would have had them pissed as well), but I always felt it was actually pretty important to the character. Beyond the outsider aspect when he was in Kun'Lun the entire dynamic between Danny and Luke is kind of a big deal in my opinion. The rich white guy and the poor black guy working together and being friends dynamic just wouldn't be the same with Danny as another race.
    Last edited by Altrec; 2017-03-20 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    As for the "controversy" that is frankly stupid. I know a lot of people feel that his race is unimportant and that they could have cast an Asian actor(even though that just plays into Asian stereotypes that would have had them pissed as well), but I always felt it was actually pretty important to the character. Beyond the outsider aspect when he was in Kun'Lun the entire dynamic between Danny and Luke is kind of a big deal in my opinion. The rich white guy and the poor black guy working together and being friends dynamic just wouldn't be the same with Danny as another race.
    A rather astute observation. But sadly one that is completely lost in the offended crowd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    What the hell does the elevator fight scene have to do with anything?
    A white person beating on a bunch of faceless POC to rescue a white woman. If the races were reversed, where a POC beats on a group of white people to rescue a POC women, people would be crying foul. I can't believe I have to spell this out for you.
    And just a newsflash here, but the places where these shows are most viewed, are Western countries, you wanna know what the average person in western countries is? White.

Shocking I know.
    So you are saying white people don't care about race politics since they aren't they ones on the receiving end, just like I said.

Shocking.

- - - Updated - - -

what's all this about racism in iron fist? what's the commotion over? I haven't noticed anything racist about the show and I reckon my racism radar is top notch.
    His girlfriend is asian, isn't that enough for the "cry racism" critics?
    The show itself is not really racist, but there are tropes that are annoying at most to people that may not be white. Like I said before, if the races were reversed then you will see a lot of white people take issues with it.

Let's say there is a movie about a Chinese swordsman in Viking Land, killing Vikings men and banging Viking women. Imagine the uproar that would be. Now imagine variations of that being the norm for 3+ decades. People would be annoyed, and the Chinese swordsman's girlfriend being Viking wouldn't be "enough" for the critics.
    Last edited by Clone; 2017-03-20 at 04:12 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    A white person beating on a bunch of faceless POC to rescue a white woman. If the races were reversed, where a POC beats on a group of white people to rescue a POC women, people would be crying foul. I can't believe I have to spell this out for you.

So you are saying white people don't care about race politics since they aren't they ones on the receiving end, just like I said.

Shocking.

- - - Updated - - -

The show itself is not really racist, but there are tropes that are annoying at most to people that may not be white. Like I said before, if the races were reversed then you will see a lot of white people take issues with it.

Let's say there is a movie about a Chinese swordsman in Viking Land, killing Vikings men and banging Viking women. Imagine the uproar that would be. Now imagine variations of that being the norm for 3+ decades. People would be annoyed, and the Chinese swordsman's girlfriend being Viking wouldn't be "enough" for the critics.
    There are groups of people who will look for any reason to be angry. Doesn't mean there's anything logical to be angry about. As a 24yr old white male I loved Django Unchained and that movie is about a black ex-slave killing white people for money. Races don't bother me and it shouldn't bother everyone else as long as they make sense. It was also well received by many others while some people obviously got offended. You could make the most diverse film where everyone was made completely equal and SOMEONE would still find a reason to complain.

There is no logical reason for anyone to be angry about the actor for Danny Rand to be white. That's the way it is in the comics and Marvel followed suit. Just like how they did with Falcon, Luke Cage, Black Panther, and Colleen Wing. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Though I will say the Mandarin casting and plot was completely bullshit for obvious reason. The Danny Rand casting made sense though.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    There are groups of people who will look for any reason to be angry. Doesn't mean there's anything logical to be angry about. As a 24yr old white male I loved Django Unchained and that movie is about a black ex-slave killing white people for money. Races don't bother me and it shouldn't bother everyone else as long as they make sense. It was also well received by many others while some people obviously got offended. You could make the most diverse film where everyone was made completely equal and SOMEONE would still find a reason to complain.

There is no logical reason for anyone to be angry about the actor for Danny Rand to be white. That's the way it is in the comics and Marvel followed suit. Just like how they did with Falcon, Luke Cage, Black Panther, and Colleen Wing. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Though I will say the Mandarin casting and plot was completely bullshit for obvious reason. The Danny Rand casting made sense though.
    And I am completely fine with it. My initial post was just to disagree about how the average audience doesn't care about race politics is false.

Right, just like they cried foul in Blade when a POC beats on a group of white people to rescue a POC woman and they cried foul...oh, wait, except for the fact that, well, they didn't. Not at all.

Deleted
    Why would people be crying foul? I don't get it.

The whole point of Iron Fist that he comes from America and winds up in Kun Lun via circumstance, him being white or asian has nothing to do with his backstory.

Your assertion that because he knows Martial Arts he must be Asian is the most racist thing i've heard in this thread so far, the fact that you can't see that is really sad.

- - - Updated - - -

And I am completely fine with it. My initial post was just to disagree about how the average audience doesn't care about race politics is false.
    Critics bashing it for having an white actor in the main role, audiences loving it regardless.

Ergo, the average audience doesn't give a fuck about race politics.

Don't know why I have to spell this out for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Watched the first two episodes last night. It's not as bad as I've seen on reviews and been told by a few other people, but it's not overwhelmingly good, either. Certainly watchable but not highly recommended or likely to garner any great acclaim.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

This tv show has quite a weak story i.e. an idiot plot and the fight scenes could have been much better as well. I managed to watch the first two episodes, but lost interest after that.

Deleted

Shocking.
    No what i'm saying is, people don't give a fuck about race politics.

If you need a character to have the same fucking skin colour as you to relate to that character, then you are a racist, whether your black, white, yellow or brown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would people be crying foul? I don't get it.

The whole point of Iron Fist that he comes from America and winds up in Kun Lun via circumstance, him being white or asian has nothing to do with his backstory.

Your assertion that because he knows Martial Arts he must be Asian is the most racist thing i've heard in this thread so far, the fact that you can't see that is really sad.

- - - Updated - - -

Critics bashing it for having an white actor in the main role, audiences loving it regardless.

Ergo, the average audience doesn't give a fuck about race politics.

Don't know why I have to spell this out for you.
    No what i'm saying is, people don't give a fuck about race politics.

If you need a character to have the same fucking skin colour as you to relate to that character, then you are a racist, whether your black, white, yellow or brown.

Where did I say, or even subtly assert, that he has to be Asian? I'd like you to find that quote for me. If you can't, then maybe your problem is with reading comprehension.

I called you out for the false perception of the average audience not caring about race, that's it. I don't give a fuck what race Danny Rand is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Right, just like they cried foul in Blade when a POC beats on a group of white people to rescue a POC woman and they cried foul...oh, wait, except for the fact that, well, they didn't. Not at all.
    You mean a movie released before this whole race politics movement didn't receive a backlash? Maybe you should look at how people are canceling their Netflix accounts over the Dear White People trailer.
    Last edited by Clone; 2017-03-20 at 05:10 PM.

So far i'm liking it way more then Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.

Deleted
    Where did I say, or even subtly assert, that he has to be Asian? I'd like you to find that quote for me.

I called you out for the false perception of the average audience not caring about race, that's it. I don't give a fuck what race Danny Rand is.
    And you've yet to provide any evidence that my perception is false.

Did white people start boycotting Netflix enmass when Luke Cage came out?

A black superhero? On my Netflix? Say it aint so!

Deleted
    not necessarily, Clare turns up mid way through anyway, and that letter a little later. so it really could have started just days after LC ends.
    you clearly write just to write dont you? first you claim No and then you ADMIT its after LC.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Good lord what a trainwreck of a show. Easily the worst of the Netflix Marvel shows.

I don't know how you can make a boring martial-arts show, but Marvel nailed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's say there is a movie about a Chinese swordsman in Viking Land, killing Vikings men and banging Viking women.
    Am I the only one that would watch the hell out of that show? Switch Chinese to Japanese, make it a show about a Samurai that goes to live with the Vikings and it would basically be my favourite show ever...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Am I the only one that would watch the hell out of that show? Switch Chinese to Japanese, make it a show about a Samurai that goes to live with the Vikings and it would basically be my favourite show ever...
    That actually sounds awesome!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    No you can't like things about other races, don't you get it?

There's nothing racist about it.

People just like to kick up a fuss because there's a character thats a Martial Artist so ofcourse he must be Asian, but they don't get how that is an incredibly racist viewpoint to have.

Literally people complaining about shows not stereotyping people, its insanity.
    LoL THIS.

Some of the reviews are pretty hilarious. I read one that was complaining about how un-"woke" the show was- They singled out a scene with how patronising it was that Danny, a WHITE man, was explaining energy and chi to an ASIAN woman. Jesus, he should know that all asians instinctively know all this stuff. It's genetic, along with good martial arts skills

The show itself - I've watched the first 4 and so far it's pretty good. It's not great but definitely pretty fun and interesting. I'd agree some of the fight-scenes in the first episodes looks a bit shoddy and staged, and it's really hard to get a reading on Rand himself as a character.

So far I'd rate it above Luke Cage at least. Cage was massively overrated imo - the end half of the season would have been too hammy even for a CW show. WTF were they thinking with Diamondback.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2017-03-20 at 05:57 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!