Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

If your dinner date bails, are you actually forced to pay for them?

I've always read about this scenario and really hope it never happens to me, but are you actually bound by law to pay for the one that ran?

Seems to me like they committed theft. I don't see why you would be the one paying for the food they ordered and ate.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    I've always read about this scenario and really hope it never happens to me, but are you actually bound by law to pay for the one that ran?

Seems to me like they committed theft. I don't see why you would be the one paying for the food they ordered and ate.
    I've never considered it from a legal/contract standpoint, but certainly it should be intuitive that the party is responsible for the food they ordered, right? The restaurant held up their end. Having run restaurants, I would certainly allow a dine-and-dash victim to split their check and just write off the dickhead's half, but I'd consider it a courtesy unless they had already established it was separate checks at the start.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know yes. You could probably argue it after the fact and try to get a refund if you could prove it but at the time how could you prove that you and the runner aren't in cahoots just trying to score a free meal?

But then again some people act like raging cunts in restaurants and get shit for free just for being whiners so maybe if you whine enough they'll let you off.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

If the bills were all separated at the end then no. It has happened to me before, the restaurant tried to force me to pay. I told them to fuck off, I had already paid for my own food.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    As far as I know yes. You could probably argue it after the fact and try to get a refund if you could prove it but at the time how could you prove that you and the runner aren't in cahoots just trying to score a free meal?

But then again some people act like raging cunts in restaurants and get shit for free just for being whiners so maybe if you whine enough they'll let you off.
    Even if you could prove it, your table is still your table. You get a "table for two" not "a table for one times two" so they'd probably still be within their rights to charge the table? Not sure though!

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Even if you could prove it, your table is still your table. You get a "table for two" not "a table for one times two" so they'd probably still be within their rights to charge the table? Not sure though!
    If they were told at the start of the meal that everyone would be paying their own way there is no way the restaurant could force you to pay for someone elses bill.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking but I know that usually when I go to a restaurant they'll ask pretty early on if the bill is going to be together or separate so perhaps that can work in your favor if your date dines n dashes but pretty sure it won't.

Because I'd give you that person's information.

Deleted
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking but I know that usually when I go to a restaurant they'll ask pretty early on if the bill is going to be together or separate so perhaps that can work in your favor if your date dines n dashes but pretty sure it won't.
    Really? Woah. America is a strange place. I don't think I've ever been asked that in my life until it came time to pay :O

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I'd give you that person's information.
    But what if it's a fake name and you're paying with cash? Now they can't track you or find anyone with the information provided.

Deleted
    Why not asking to mourn with you? Naturally if you are a number guy you play and pay the number. Doesn't make it less sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had no idea this was a thing. I mean I can understand a first meeting/date and things not meshing well, but never to the extent of someone bailing out before the bill is delivered.

I suppose if it is a thing the lesson to be learned here is to make sure you have enough money or a credit card ready just in case this rare event does happen?

You are within your rights to ask for separate bills. By paying you are simply keeping the other person from committing theft. That is not your job. However, the restaurant/police would be well within their rights to ask for the name and contact information of the thief to persue prosecution, refusal to provide that to the police would account as obstruction of justice and therefore put your ass on the hook.

Long story short, If you are ready to rat out the thieving fucktard who tried to stick you with a bill, waive your rights around like a big dick. Otherwise, suck it up and pay buttercup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? Woah. America is a strange place. I don't think I've ever been asked that in my life until it came time to pay :O
    It's not all the time but it may have something to do with how the waiter judges what kind of dinner date it is. I think if they can pick up on it being a romantic date they'll just assume the guy is paying unless told otherwise.

I wouldn't order food unless I knew they were here. I mean, how do you order for them without their knowledge?
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I wouldn't order food unless I knew they were here. I mean, how do you order for them without their knowledge?
    I think they mean more of an already ordered, started eating, and the date has to "go to the bathroom" and never comes back.

I look at it this way.

If they bail one of two things happened. I did something to make it happen or the person sitting across from me was a bitch. But in either situation the people at the restaurant don't deserve to be stiffed over the situation. So I am going to pay because I am not going to be a cunt to them because either I was a cunt to someone else or that someone else was a cunt to me.

So I guess I would never personally find out either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    I think they mean more of an already ordered, started eating, and the date has to "go to the bathroom" and never comes back.
    Oh... wow, yeah that would be unfortunate. But I guess in that case, I'd assume the guy was expecting to pay, so paying even though she left early, isn't going to change that expectation. But that's pretty rude on her part.

Edit: It would be funny if the establishment just let you pay for your portion, and the other person gets a notice about them for theft.
    Last edited by Symphonic; 2017-03-20 at 03:56 PM.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account

Da fuq?

I'm assuming the scene is set as so:

You and other person agree to go out to eat (a date). Other person says they will pay. You both order, and eat your meals. Then the person who was supposed to pay leaves.

If this is the correct situation, then yes, you are required by law to pay for the meal.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

i know why satan hates people