Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    This really is a good gaming season.

Though what i'm really happy to see if game code innovation. More dev's need to put importance in streamlining processing and memory consumption. PC or Console. Optimization is an uncommon gem.

What are your guys thoughts on this in regards to HZD?

Holy shit! Nice Kung Fury reference, lol. I don't know very many people who have seen and enjoy it.

Totally true though. Red Eye Watchers = Laser Raptors.

So I've just finished the game after around 60hrs. And I must say one of the best games I've played in a long time.
    My first thought

Sylens is an alternate AI designed by Ted Faro and secretly added to Zero dawn to try to ensure that neither Gaia, Hades or any of the other AI's can ever complete their designated tasks and repopulate the Earth successfully. Designed to make sure that we're Sylens'ed forever

I'm probably way off base but it's fun to speculate.

Edit: Spelling
    Last edited by Koyoti; 2017-03-21 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koyoti View Post
    So I've just finished the game after around 60hrs. And I must say one of the best games I've played in a long time.
    My first thought

Sylens is an alternate AI designed by Ted Faro and secretly added to Zero dawn to try to ensure that neither Gaia, Hades or any of the other AI's can ever complete their designated tasks and repopulate the Earth successfully. Designed to make sure that we're Sylens'ed forever

I don't think so. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there was another bunker that Faro or Elizabet didn't know about in which some of humanity survived in. They didn't like the way the earth was being build up and wanted a start over so they booted up Hades. That's my thought though I am sure I am way off too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Just about done (doing side stuff now for the Platinum). One thing I have to say:

I have not hated a video game character as much as Ted Faro in a VERY long time. Yeah, I didn't much care for him being the cause of the destruction of life on the planet, but in a way that is almost typical video game stuff. Him wiping out the Apollo database and killing the Alphas... as if he wasn't already in a "death is too good for you" category. Just wow. Hats off to Gurrrilla for getting an emotional reaction from a salty old gamer. I wonder what the kids did in the cradles with zero education system? It would explain why they were so rowdy. What would they be taught?
    I also agree to this. Hell their Helghast leadership from Killzone seemed more likable. I mean they had the whole Vektans fucked them over first excuse to fall back on. Faro just was a dick from the start.

Deleted
    My first thought

Will be interesting I say it's based on the threads still not closed. Some obvious stuff is not resolved in the uncovered data. The game has clear conclusions but the space is very open for Ted Faro's mess. The kill switch, the mysterious signal and the Faro facility. Also note the locations of the Horus machines, US Robotics Command, All Mother and The West. All three were assaulted by Horus robots/Metal Devils.

Were there humans at All mother when the attack occurred? Was it the moment the signal was sent disabling them? The Horus clearly broke through All Mother but the facility was largely intact. In the end Selena seems to be at another facility in the West. Likely no need for Aloy this time. Possible Faro location?

- - - Updated - - -

Thought this was good. Besides just the less time wasting game design.
    Last edited by mmoc839c7d7be3; 2017-03-21 at 04:49 AM.

Deleted
    Saw some gameplay on youtube and i'm gonna buy it, glad that i already have ps4

10+ Year Old Account
    Got my PS4 today to play this game (also pre-ordered Persona 5) but should have bought the disc I guess. 9 hrs estimated to download...ugh.

Just beat this game. I had done almost all of the side quests and alternate main story quests even before meeting Olin at the Excavation site so I was able to plow through the story from that point forward without much interference and man...what a ride. For me, being able to go from having no idea what was going on to having an almost complete understanding of what Zero Dawn was and why the machines exist and why they're acting the way they do with no interruptions was amazing.

One of the coolest stories I've seen in a while. Ted Faro actually had me physically angry IRL with his part in the whole thing. I mean It's entirely his fault that we live in the world we live in, his robots destroyed the world and then his ego maniacal decision to do us a "favor" and delete APOLLO to keep is in the stone age and kill the Alphas....

Easily a 10/10 for me. I enjoyed every second I was playing this game and desperately hope a sequel is created...of which I'm pretty sure there will be based on the complete success this game was from both a performance stand point but also a commercial and public reception stand point.

For the sequel Since the entire world was destroyed before Zero Dawn, and our quest takes part in only one part of it, I imagine that a sequel could easily explore other areas of the world that were affected. We can search for Ted Faro's personal bunker, we could rebuild GAIA and APOLLO and the other AI's/ programs that were deactivated/ separated by HADES...so many possibilities.

Regardless, no matter what happens, I'm pretty sure this franchise has at least one fan for life. Great job Guerilla, truly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    One of the coolest stories I've seen in a while. Ted Faro actually had me physically angry IRL with his part in the whole thing. I mean It's entirely his fault that we live in the world we live in, his robots destroyed the world and then his ego maniacal decision to do us a "favor" and delete APOLLO to keep is in the stone age and kill the Alphas....
    I had my headphones on watching a playthrough on Youtube, wife was sitting next to me just watching TV and scared the hell out of her when I yelled "You S.O.B." at my laptop when that cutscene came on.

I honestly don't think it was completely due to his ego that he wiped Apollo. I think the reason he did it was due to his regret for destroying the world and in his own twisted logic he thought the best way was to make sure the new humans would start with a clean slate.

Remember they were in those bunkers for years, it's not like he could actually do anything himself outside of sit in his bunker, festering in his own guilt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    I honestly don't think it was completely due to his ego that he wiped Apollo. I think the reason he did it was due to his regret for destroying the world and in his own twisted logic he thought the best way was to make sure the new humans would start with a clean slate.
    This is absolutely correct and why I think he made such a great villain. It was't so much that he killed the alphas and purged APOLLO to be a dick or because of his ego - in his own twisted, guilt-ridden mind he felt he was doing the right thing. One of my favorite parts about the Zero Dawn facility were the audio files from Faro. You could kind of see his growing doubt and descent into madness, if we can call it that.
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2017-03-24 at 07:55 PM. Reason: fixed spoiler tag

Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    I had my headphones on watching a playthrough on Youtube, wife was sitting next to me just watching TV and scared the hell out of her when I yelled "You S.O.B." at my laptop when that cutscene came on.

Remember they were in those bunkers for years, it's not like he could actually do anything himself outside of sit in his bunker, festering in his own guilt.
    Agreed, but still. It was his company who got the world into that mess in the first place. His ambition and directions are what caused the extinction of humanity outside of what survived due to Zero Dawn. You'd think he would learn his lesson, that he doesn't know better than everyone else, since it was his fault the world was in this mess. So he feels he has the ability and authority to make such a monumental decision for the betterment of humanity? That because he didn't learn from his mistakes, future generations are incapable of learning from them? That's an egocentric and self centered mentality.

I can only hope that we get to explore the options that could correct that mistake in the sequels.

Either way, again, the fact this discussion is going on about something that happened within a video game speaks volumes to how well written and executed the story and game was. Phenomenal, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    This is absolutely correct and why I think he made such a great villain. It was't so much that he killed the alphas and purged APOLLO to be a dick or because of his ego - in his own twisted, guilt-ridden mind he felt he was doing the right thing. One of my favorite parts about the Zero Dawn facility were the audio files from Faro. You could kind of see his growing doubt and descent into madness, if we can call it that.
    Just a bit of a shame when aloy goes "that doesnt bode well" and my reaction was "i think we all know where this is going"

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Exactly, those audio logs reveal a lot about his through process.

Agreed, but still. It was his company who got the world into that mess in the first place. His ambition and directions are what caused the extinction of humanity outside of what survived due to Zero Dawn. You'd think he would learn his lesson, that he doesn't know better than everyone else, since it was his fault the world was in this mess. So he feels he has the ability and authority to make such a monumental decision for the betterment of humanity? That because he didn't learn from his mistakes, future generations are incapable of learning from them? That's an egocentric and self centered mentality.

I can only hope that we get to explore the options that could correct that mistake in the sequels.

Either way, again, the fact this discussion is going on about something that happened within a video game speaks volumes to how well written and executed the story and game was. Phenomenal, lol.
    Oh I agree for sure haha.

He knew his ego was the cause of everything from the beginning, he knew he caused the destruction of the world but was also blind to the fact that humans are going to seek out answers to the past. He seriously thought he was protecting everyone in the future but no matter what people like Sylens and Helis are going to exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Just a bit of a shame when aloy goes "that doesnt bode well" and my reaction was "i think we all know where this is going"
    I did laugh at his meek "just stop it alright" line.

. So he feels he has the ability and authority to make such a monumental decision for the betterment of humanity? That because he didn't learn from his mistakes, future generations are incapable of learning from them? That's an egocentric and self centered mentality.
    But he didn't have any chance to learn from his mistake. Refusing to provide a backdoor into the robots programming and making them self sustaining and self replicating was a one way ticket. There was no time to go back and correct it other than Zero Dawn.

Sylens still worries me though. The fact that he can interface with all the old technology on the planet such as the robots, focuses etc, but can't get anywhere near GAIA or any of the AI facilities except Hades and needs you to do that for him...... I get the feeling we may have been aiding the bad guy all along, just not sure why.
    And those blue things on his face and body, are they just tribal adornments or evidence that he's another machine, possibly created by the HORUS robots to ensure their survival? or even Ted Faro to ensure another apocalypse can't happen somehow?

Gotta agree with this though, story had me hooked from start to finish, although coming from the writer/creative director of Fallout:New Vegas I'm not surprised.
    Last edited by Koyoti; 2017-03-24 at 11:17 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sylens still worries me though. The fact that he can interface with all the old technology on the planet such as the robots, focuses etc, but can't get anywhere near GAIA or any of the AI facilities except Hades and needs you to do that for him...... I get the feeling we may have been aiding the bad guy all along, just not sure why.
    And those blue things on his face and body, are they just tribal adornments or evidence that he's another machine, possibly created by the HORUS robots to ensure their survival? or even Ted Faro to ensure another apocalypse can't happen somehow?

I really doubt Sylens is going to be a bad guy, at worst he'll lose control of HADES but honestly, I kind of doubt that too because fighting HADES twice in a row would be kinda stale. What Sylens really wants is simply knowledge. He's tech-savvy, which allowed him to fix a focus and find HADES. The reason he can't get in those important bunkers is simply because he, like almost everybody else on the planet, lacks the authorization to do so. The only reason Aloy can go in is because that's the entire purpose of her creation, a genetic match to Sobek so she can enter the bunkers and reboot GAIA.

As for the blue things weaved into his skin, at least one of the Banuk you meet has that too, not sure for what reason.

My guess for a continuation of the story: Sylens finds a hint or something of where the signal that unshackled HADES came from, makes contact with Aloy again for her help. I also wouldn't be surprised if the signal came from an AI that Ted decided to make for whatever crazy reason he thinks justifies stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post

As for the blue things weaved into his skin, at least one of the Banuk you meet has that too, not sure for what reason.

But the Banuk worship the machines and can interface with them until you come along and destroy that. Is the whole tribe a machine creation possibly?

10+ Year Old Account
    But the Banuk worship the machines and can interface with them until you come along and destroy that. Is the whole tribe a machine creation possibly?
    I think it was merely coincidence that they settled near the device that made machines docile, but it would be cool if the AI were experimenting with us and stuff while they were loose and running amok.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Quote Originally Posted by Treeskee View Post
    I think it was merely coincidence that they settled near the device that made machines docile, but it would be cool if the AI were experimenting with us and stuff while they were loose and running amok.
    Tbh it would be great, although I still think there is more to Sylens than meets the eye
    But this is definitely one game (series hopefully) where I'll just swallow the red pill and hope they eventually show us the bottom of the rabbit hole without completely cocking it up like Bioware managed with Mass Effect 1-3.
    Last edited by Koyoti; 2017-03-25 at 12:51 AM.

from the wiki:
    [quote]The Banuk are a nomadic people, native to the mountains to the north of the Sacred Lands. For a long time, the Banuk have lived up in the mountains, trying to live in harmony with the machines that roam the world. Made up of fearless hunters and mysterious shamans, they're constantly trying to prove their worth against increasingly stacked odds, and favor this over engaging with others.

Due to their isolationism, the Banuk are often deemed to be just as mysterious, primitive, and savage as the Nora tribe. [/quote]

If I remember correctly the Banuk actually sow those machine parts into their skin, think of it as a rite of passage.

The hunters were hunting the machines when they came upon the safe zone, the Shamans took that as a sign and had the camp setup around the machines while they tried to communicate with the machines.

The Banuk cannot actually communicate with the machines (maybe not anymore) but that can explain why Sylens was so interested in technology in the first place.

Sylens seems to be hungry for knowledge more than anything, end of the world be damned. I can't wait to see how he progresses in the future.

Deleted
    http://kotaku.com/horizon-zero-dawn-...hyp-1793570455

Article on the graphics. It's a great engine. It's crazy how far we have gotten tech wise.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, something has been bothering me.

They said that it would take half a century to crack a codeset for the Faro robots, right? Wouldn't there still be people alive inside Elysium around that point? I mean, I realize there would be nothing to return TO with the Earth basically being unlivable and destroyed and all but how long did it take GAIA's robots to get to work cleaning that shit up? Is it possible anyone from Elysium survived? Was Elysium even successful what with Faro going rogue, or did he kill more than just the Alphas?

I went scouring through my data files to find any references to Elysium near the end of Project: Zero Dawn and only found one log from Charles Ronson that said anything about it, really. He said Elysium was sealed up, safe and sound. I'm just wondering if anyone could have survived in Elysium and came out when it ran out of resources (they projected 100 years according to one of the audio files with a counselor). Do we have any descendants from "real", original humans that survived on Earth somewhere?

Just a thought as I was desperately looking into some way for the inevitable sequel/DLC to reveal that our knowledge wasn't really lost by Faro being a fuckshit. That there was a backup of Apollo SOMEWHERE or any original humans that managed to pass it down. /shrug