Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

As far as class design and balance went, yeah, I will go out on a limb and say mop was definitely the most balanced expac ever. But still, things were not perfect. Frost DK's were a bit under-tuned for a very long time, and affliction and destruction warlocks were just a bit too powerful in SoO, disc priest was also OP. I played a whole crap ton of alts, and raided with most of them for a good amount of time. I mostly played a frost mage and a Survival hunter. I would rate Mop right up there with Wotlk, although I think I was a much better player in Mop.

Deleted
    TBC and Vanilla were my peaks. Lost interest in the game during MOP, mainly due to lack of interest in gaming in general.

Yeah MoP was easily the best expansion. The rose tinted glasses come out for WotLK but other than two great raidzones it was a pretty weak expansion for other content including a much disliked starting tier that was out for far too long before the Ulduar patch came around. Lets also remember jousting... Even at the time people compalined how the questing/lore around Arthas was crap as he was proven to be utterly incompetent as he lost in every single zone and came across as a scooby doo villian more than the Lich King.

For the specific reasons you listed, yeah, most people seem to agree that MoP was the peak, for those specific reasons. Pretty large polls have been done, and MoP always clearly comes out on top for playability and class design. If judging just based on your reasons I'd agree that MoP was the peak.

However, I don't think most people consider the criteria you consider to be what defines the "peak" of WoW. As far as lore goes, imo WotLK was the peak. While MoP was VERY fun to play, and I loved how every class played, and really enjoyed my characters, and PVP, and challenge modes, and so much more, I wasn't too into a lot of the lore and it didn't feel EPIC to me like WotLK, or Black Temple/Illidan, or even Cata/Deathwing (until DS came out and the climax of Deathwing ended up being a disappointing turd of a fight). Lore, and how an xpac feels is really important, it probably makes an xpac more memorable than awesome game play, which is why I think you'll probably find a lot of people not picking MoP for peak WoW, and most people picking WotLK.

It's all subjective, but even in that subjectivity at least just about everyone can agree that WoD was a huge stinking PoS in every way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sar the Laser Druid View Post
    MoP was by far the best time to be playing as a prot pally, as I did. I fucking loved it.
    prots were gods in wotlk

MoP was the only expansion I never played. I quit in Cata after being so disappointed by their handling of Deathwing and the Dragon Soul raid, and had to be convinced to come back in WoD. Honestly though, after going back to it with levelling alts and running the raids, I think I really would have enjoyed it a lot. But I think WoTLK was the prime time of WoW for me. I'm enjoying Legion quite a bit though.

Really when you think about Warlords of Draenor was the best xpac wow could possibly have. Solid questing zones, Max level content, , more apexis than you could ever hope for, that awesome selfie patch. and then like a year of tanaan/hfc? Talk about letting people get time in to experience it all!

Personally MoP is second last to me due to being bad for small random and organized content. Killed off a lot of casual guilds too. If I still did guild raiding then perhaps after WotLK. MoP was largely a raiders expansion to me.

I would put WotLK as the peak overall for non-raiders and raiders.

Each expansion has its high and low points. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable saying any part of it was peak, although I think subscribers peaked in Wrath at some point.

On a related note the other day on Reddit someone dredged up a thread from some video gaming message board where people were crying that Burning Crusade was ruining the game and everyone was going to quit for MMOs that today no longer exist. It was literally the same conversation we've seen with each expansion since the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by vaccine View Post
    Yeah MoP was easily the best expansion. The rose tinted glasses come out for WotLK but other than two great raidzones it was a pretty weak expansion for other content including a much disliked starting tier that was out for far too long before the Ulduar patch came around. Lets also remember jousting... Even at the time people compalined how the questing/lore around Arthas was crap as he was proven to be utterly incompetent as he lost in every single zone and came across as a scooby doo villian more than the Lich King.
    Lets just ignore the fact that LK told you that he knew you would triumph, that he wanted you to win and that he's the only fucking boss in the history of World of Warcraft that WON THE FINAL FIGHT and that it took a MAJOR FUCKING DEUS EX MACHINA to win in the end

We've had very different experiences, MoP is my least favourite expansion. And I like pandas.

I know many complain about Legion here, but I think this could be a start in the right direction. If they expand upon the best things in this expansion, the next one will prolong the future of wow, maybe be on the TBC / Wotlk level.
    The way it's been played in recent years is couple of months at the start of the expansion, and a month or two towards the end. It's gonna take something special to make launch numbers last throughout the whole expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    prots were gods in wotlk
    Yep, completely. Felt like my fate in a raid was in my own hands, which I loved.

After playing a Prot Pally for 7 years, I lasted until midway through BRF before switching to my MM Hunter, which turned out to be godlike in HFC

Started this expac as Guardian, and well...

Having to MS Balance atm for raid comp, but still love my big neon-blue bear spec

I only played MoP from 5.4, but from what I played and heard it's clearly the most underrated expansion due to the Panda theme.

TBC was my personal favorite, and Legion is reminscient of why TBC was awesome, because I always had something to od on my main!
    WoTLK was awesome also, but it honestly started the whole World of Alts nonsense. Imo MoP or Legion can't top WoTLK or prior expansions because x-realm destroyed server communities.

People are also praising class design in MoP, but I think it was better in WoTLK. MoP yea classes were fun (which is all that should matter) but I felt we were far too bloated, especially in PvP, like I had an answer for everything. Classes at least feel unique again in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Great class design (better than anything legion)

Meaningful gear progression

3 good tiers

Challenge Modes

PvP WAS ACTUALLY PLAYABLE

TI and Landfall and IoT all great patches

Was MoP the best it will ever get? Why were classes so drastically changed when they were so much better?
    yes...totally agree....every time i go to farm those world bosses i realise how much i enjoyed that xpac...how it was the only one since BC that i didn't quit mid way through.

MoP was great. First expansion that peeked my interest when it comes to PvE content. Also PvP balance was really great and we got 3 new BGs 2 new arenas. Even though this might not be a popular opinion I also liked the whole setting as it was really refreshing to me. The music was great (as always), the legendary quest was also really good and rewarding. I think the quality of an expansion is best defined by the amount of time you spend on the different aspects of the game. In MoP I played tons of arenas, RBG, raided, challenge modes etc. whereas in expansions like WoD or Legion I mostly sit in Dalaran when I'm not doing my weekly 20 arena wins.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

15+ Year Old Account
    WotLK was peak WoW.

MoP was peak crap.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Wrath was peak WoW for me. None of the expacs since then have lived up to it.
    id agree that wrath was the peak, but for me MOP was at least a decent attempt to re-obtain that greatness. Legion is yet another attempt, but so far is just missing the mark. (feels more like wod than mop felt like cata)

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    TBC/WotLK... the game at it's greatest. WoD and Legion... at it's worst.
    Just buy flying at max level... yes please.

TBC and WotLK were the peak.
    Many people disliked MoP theme.