Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    That's not at all what he said, perhaps you should learn to read. He said they aren't readily available. That's not the same thing as "none". And as you know, I was being sarcastic, I would say that there are probably very few learned people that you know more than, and certainly not this guy.
    I see, what do you think "readily available" means? Considering I have multiple degrees and understand hand waving when I see it, I would venture that I know more than you, at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I see, what do you think "readily available" means? Considering I have multiple degrees and understand hand waving when I see it, I would venture that I know more than you, at least.
    well, from my experience with my zoo when I volunteered there, means "we cant give you our supply right now"

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    well, from my experience with my zoo when I volunteered there, means "we cant give you our supply right now"
    You'd think they'd have a backup supply!

In any case, I feel like I've talked enough about this topic, I'm glad this incident prompted an investigation and I hope this leads to policy/training changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heard this story... I've never really gotten the excuse: "It interfered with the airport traffic". I mean, it is just a li'l doggie. Couldn't they just ignore it? Or is a little dog accidentally hitting a plane on the landing/getting-off that much of a danger?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

That being said, there is one source in the article that states that tranquilizer guns are not common in NZ but considering NZ wildlife I have a hard time believing that there was no resource in the Auckland area that would have assisted in bringing in this dog alive (especially considering the locality of the zoo and I assume animal control in an urban area), especially when so much time was wasted trying to catch it.
    I'm sorry, but I'm inclined to think you know very little about New Zealand wildlife.

Quote Originally Posted by Waniou View Post
    I'm sorry, but I'm inclined to think you know very little about New Zealand wildlife.
    Are you telling me that NZ has no predators?

10+ Year Old Account
    I may be wrong, but I've always thought that it is the Australian wildlife that was very diverse and dangerous, while the New Zealand one was much more "tame". If such a story happened in Australia, I would be genuinely surprised, but in New Zealand it seems like something that very well could happen. Especially given that New Zealand is a very rural country and there probably isn't many high quality facilities with the abundance of top-notch equipment in most areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Not any that are threatening to humans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I may be wrong, but I've always thought that it is the Australian wildlife that was very diverse and dangerous, while the New Zealand one was much more "tame". If such a story happened in Australia, I would be genuinely surprised, but in New Zealand it seems like something that very well could happen. Especially given that New Zealand is a very rural country and there probably isn't many high quality facilities with the abundance of top-notch equipment in most areas.
    Correct. When I got a bit of outdoorsy training, we were told that the only animal that will kill you in the New Zealand bush is yourself.

The New Zealand land based wildlife is some of the tamest and safest in the world. The most dangerous animals are bees (due to allergies) and rams, who will occasionally ram someone and bust them up.

The sea, however, can be a bit dangerous due to Stone Fish, jellies, and sharks, but are still tame compared to waters around the world.

(I agree that they still have access to tranquilizers, especially for rabid domestic animals and dangerous zoo animals.)
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Came down to economics in the end.
    A single 747 would have cost another $11,000US to keep airborne for that time (747 uses one gallon of fuel per second, and aviation fuel is currently selling at $1.55US/gal).
    Average half of that for 16 planes kept airborne and you're looking at 88,000 dollars US to keep them circling the whole time. Compound that with the dangers posed to any aircraft on the tarmac when they couldn't even find it for two hours, with the ripple-effect of delayed air-travel, and the dog never stood a chance.

What have those silly Kiwis done Now ?

Poor Grizz .. Probably named after one of their All Blacks ..Grizz Wylie